3 Twins Head to Deadhorse - June 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JBird, Mar 14, 2017.

1. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Sorry to disappoint but it will be a Parallel, a V, and an Opposed Twin! Still should be a great time

Mine is the Parallel Twin - a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere (don't worry I'll have a different ground cloth on the trip - and unfortunately no dog.)

[​IMG]

Josh will be on KTM 950SE - yes he is going to ride over 14,000 miles on an SE!!

[​IMG]

Mark will be on a 2004 BMW GS Adventure - and yes he has put over 113,000 miles on it!

[​IMG]

We are looking for any and all route advise, tent space, and any other bits of useful information we can glean from the Advrider community.

Here is our rough plan.

May 26 - Leave the SE - I'm in SC, Josh is in Southern GA and Mark from the North GA Mountains
    and head straight west - hopefully getting into the AR TX border.

From there head west over to AZ, Up through Utah, cut across NV, over to Northern CA to see some redwoods, up to Oregon, back east a little and up through central WA.

Up into BC toward Kelowna, up to Prince George, over to Hyder to see Salmon Glacier, back up to Watson Lake, over to Skagway, ferry to Haines, then on up to Fairbanks.

Maybe stay in Fairbanks at the university then up to Deadhorse.

Back from Deadhorse to Fairbanks then over to Chicken and to Dawson YT. Then head towards Laird River to Dawson Creek, then back down the Icefields Parkway.

Down back into Montana, then Wyoming and over into South Dakota. From Eastern SD we will set a SE track and head home.

Any and all help appreciated!
  2. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Married Man

Married Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to the Alaska threads in regionals and search out D2D, and attend....you will thank me later...lol
  5. TurboBonefish

TurboBonefish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed:lurk:kat:wave
  6. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in for another fun AK RR :deal
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Leaving about the same time as you headed up to Deadhorse from San Diego. If you see a camo KLR-650 and a rider with an orange AFX helmet waiving - that'll be me.

-Rudy
  8. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We moved over the summer and I was able to build a nice heated and cooled shop. Between working on the shop and when I need a break from that, I work on the bike Ive been busy. Here is a list of things completed so far as preventative maintenance on my SE. Figured it would be much better to get ahead on these things when working in the a/c with a cold beer than the side of the road somewhere in less than ideal conditions.
    - Oberon Clutch slave with fresh fluid
    - New chain/sprockets
    - CJ designs hardened water pump shaft with fresh coolant
    - Front/rear brake pads (others were half worn, threw them in the tool kit just in case)
    - Added a center stand
    - Dr. Bean's fuel pump fix

Still to do:
    - Tubes/tires (have them, just not installed yet) Mitas E07 Dakars
    - Tighten steering head bearings (little loose)
    - Valve adjustment
    - Sync Carbs
    - Bleed breaks one more time (front still a bit mushy)
    - Fresh Airfilters (on the work bench)
    I plan on leaving fresh wheel bearings and some other misc parts labeled on the work bench in the event I need the wife to overnight them to me.

The rest of the time Ive spent going through my camping gear and making sure all is in good shape. Usually camp in my hammock (which I prefer), but figured I should take a tent for this trip.
  9. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    I've been doing some bike prep getting ready for this trip. I own a farkeled out KTM1190R but decided it was too nice to subject to the Dalton. So I went out and purchased a 2014 Super Tenere from a forum member. I like the idea of a shaft drive and the Tenere's reputation for reliability for a trip like this (hope I didn't just jinx myself.) Went up west of Asheville and picked her up. He had already installed an Altrider Skid Plate and a set of Altrider crash bars.

Here she is as I got her.

[​IMG]
    Vrode likes this.
  10. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good choice!
    JBird likes this.
  11. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Why not the dog? Im taking mine for five weeks from Florida to the mountains and camping.

Solo. KLR 650. Been to AK and back twice. Too much slab from FL.
  12. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've got a great route planned out. You've obviously done your homework. :nod One recommendation: While the ride up along Okanagan Lake is nice, to me the ride up through the Fraser and Thompson River canyons is much better. If you were to opt for that, assuming your intention is to cross the border at Osoyoos, you could get on BC3 shortly after entering Canada and follow it through Princeton, the E. C. Manning Provincial Park, and join 1 at Hope. Regardless which route you end up taking, you can't go wrong in Southern B.C. It doesn't get dull until you're up around Prince George, and that only lasts until you get out to around Houston on the Yellowhead Hwy.
  13. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Alcan Rider - thanks for reply. I've read a lot of your posts along with the "Haul Road Primer" and admired your photos on " The Lure of the Dalton". I really appreciate all the information you have put out there for us to read and use in our planning. Your advise that "you don't conquer the Dalton" - will be at the forefront on our trip up.

Last night I was reviewing some route advice you gave in "Earliest Alaska Trips" thread. Our route up to Osoyoos is going to vary a little as we are going to head over to see the Redwoods in California - then we will will follow your path. On our trip back down from Dawson we will take 2 to Whitehorse or maybe even cut off on 4 to Watson Lake and follow your path the rest of the way back to the US.

What are your thought on 2 and on 4?

I don't know if you realize how much we all value all the knowledge you share with us! THANKS!

From Alcan Rider in the Earliest Alaska Trip Thread:

"Higher elevations can be pretty cool, with snow possible even into June. Stick to the valleys once you're across the border.

If it were me, I'd play it safe on the northbound leg and do the sightseeing on the way back south. For instance, supposing you were coming from Phoenix: Up I-17 to Flag, then continue north on US89 to join I-15 in Utah (I'd stick to 89 most of the way - nice highway with little traffic, and I've enjoyed it in the past), then I-84 & I-82 into Washington, on up via secondary highways to cross at Osoyoos, north along the Okanagan to Peachland or Vernon, then work your way west to get on 1 at Spences Bridge or 97 at Cache Creek. My personal preference is the former, but either will keep you in relatively warm, dry country.

Then up 97 to Prince George, west to Kitwanga, north on the Cassiar to the Alcan. On your homeward bound leg you could take the Alcan down to Dawson Creek, east to Grande Prairie, down the Big Horn Hwy (40) to the Yellowhead (16), west to Jasper, and down the Icefields Pkwy through Banff N.P., south through the Kootenay N.P., and on home.

You should be perfectly safe by the end of May on just about any route, but weather is unpredictable and an unseasonal storm can blow in to stop you for a day or two."
  14. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Not allowed to leave the lady of the house alone without a guard dog. And he eats too much!!!
    Tewster2 likes this.
  15. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure timing is right and after D2D it may end up to be a mad rush up the Dalton.

You got any more photos of how you attach your tarp to your bike. I'm going to try to mimic this as much as possible - really looks like a good idea. What height pole do you use?

Thanks!
  16. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    1st Order of business on the Super Tenere was to add some electrical connections. I wanted to add a couple powerlet outlets up on the bars, wire in my GPS, add a couple USB ports, an SAE plug under the seat and one accessible from the side of the bike, and a Gerbings type plug under the seat. That is a lot of connections and since I'm headed to Alaska decided to use a Denali relay box. Mounted it up inside the right fairing.

I used a couple spacers as stand offs on the backside of the rectifier plate. Mounted up perfect but not the most convenient thing to get too if I blow a fuse!

[​IMG]

I just put longer bolts through the plate and double nutted everything

[​IMG]

The inside - this unit works nice - depending on which buss you plug the fuse into the item will either be hot all the time or come on with the ignition. I've had this laying around my garage for a while but I believe I got it from Twisted Throttle. There are now newer fancier units you configure with your phone! By the time I was done all the connections were used.

[​IMG]

Mounted the GPS - Garmin Montana to the factory crossbar. Nice location and matched the angle of the factory gauge cluster. I wired this as constant hot so I can look at the GPS with the bike off. The 1190R in the background is wonder where the love went. I do love the 1190R but down need the power or want to subject it to the haul road corrosion!

[​IMG]
    Bearded Hooligan likes this.
  17. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    I wired in my Garmin 478 to drop power when the key goes off. This way it runs off battery at that point. Then I can power down when not using it. Only downside is that powers on when the key is switched on, which I don't always want to happen.
  18. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    So while I'm working away on my bike Mark takes his GS Adventure over to Elligay GA to Apex Cycles. This guy is as much an artist as mechanic. He has had one of those reality TV guys come by a number of times - Mark can tell you about that. So he went through Mark's bike and got her ready for the trip.

Here are some photos we took at his shop. None of these are of Mark's bike - but still fun to see. I think you need to call ahead if you are stopping by to make sure he is there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bearded Hooligan likes this.
  19. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, I'm Mark. I usually do my own service but I'm really busy with work & the ole girl has a lot of miles on her so I wanted Wes to lay his eye's on her. That's Wes Burden of Apex Cycle www.apexcycleshop.com check him out. Good, honest people. He did a full service & fluids change. Brake pads, rear rotor, fork seal, tires & numerous little tid bits. Checked bearings & clutch & said she was good to go!
    So, like Josh & John I can now start pulling all my gear together & sorting it out & placing it on the bike.
    70 days until departure I feel like a little kid again waiting for Christmas!
    Any advice on roads that are a "must do" in any of the states we'll be passing through please share with us.
    Hope to see most of you on the road.
    SpeedyR and JBird like this.
  20. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had to stop and look up those route numbers. :confused :D Just as the locals in Los Angeles know all their freeways by their names, those of us who live up north know all our highways by their names. So if someone asks about a route number, we may look kinda puzzled until we remember that they do have numbers after all. So: 2 = Klondike Highway, 4 = Campbell Highway.

Klondike Highway from Dawson City to its junction with the Alaska Hwy is, to me, one of the most boring highways up here. Compared to a trip across Kansas, it is awesome. But compared to some of the other highways you will be on up here, it's dull. So the detour down the Campbell Hwy would provide what would probably be a welcome diversion. CAUTION: Fill up at Carmacks as Ross River sometimes is out.

Regarding my first post to this thread: I was concentrating on where you might cross the border and failed to take notice of your run out to see the redwoods. With that in mind, I have to ask if you have considered staying on 101 up the coast? The ride north from where you begin viewing redwoods is all good, clear up to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington. You certainly wouldn't be sorry if you stayed on that. My preference is to do it southbound, as pulling off to take photos or just to get the best views is hampered somewhat due to the heavy traffic during the summer months. But you still get some fantastic views from the "wrong" side of the highway.

If you were to go on up on 101, you might even consider catching a ferry from Port Angeles over to Victoria on Vancouver Island, then a second ferry from there to the mainland and follow the Sea-to-Sky Highway through Whistler. That would take you up to Lillooet and, if it were me taking that trip, I'd backtrack south to Lytton just to enjoy the Fraser River, then turn north again up the Thompson River valley and up to Cache Creek. You can tell I like that area. :nod Been driving/riding it since June 1960 and never get too much.

As I mentioned, I have been enjoying traveling up and down that route, as well as many others, for 57 years and if I can help others have the same pleasure, that's my way of paying it back for all the great trips I've had. There's no doubt others will get to enjoy what you provide in the RR that I anticipate you'll be putting together when you get back home. And you'll be to blame for luring a few more riders up north. :lol3

PS: If you go through Eureka, CA around breakfast time, it's worth it to run out to Samoa and go to the Samoa Cookhouse. Probably good for meals at any time, but I remember the breakfast I had there about ten years ago. :dukegirl