3 Twins Head to Deadhorse - June 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JBird, Mar 14, 2017.

1. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    So - at Alcan Rider's suggestion we have decided to take the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria and then from Nanaimo to W. Vancouver. Our backup plan would be to cut over from Eureka, CA to central WA and up. We would probably take 3 to 97 and up - this was suggested and looks good.

Also from Alcan Rider's suggestion we are going to backtrack off Sea to Sky a little at Lillooet to Lytton and then back north. Hate to miss anything that you guys think we should see!

Thanks
  2. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered & received paper maps. I do not have a GPS & actually prefer to use the maps to plot our course & watch our progression throughout the day. At the risk so sounding like a kid, prepping for these trips is half the fun!
    eemsreno likes this.
  3. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
  4. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    So the Tenere is done and ready to go.

Here is a list of what was done.

Altrider Skid Plate
    Altrider Crash Bars
    Highway Dirt Bikes Hand Guards,
    Highway Dirt Bikes Top Triple Clamp
    Highway Dirt Bikes Tall Lowers
    Yamaha Heated Grips
    Fender Extender
    Seal Skins Fork Savers
    Garmin Montana GPS mounted
    Perfect Squeeze Phone holder
    Denali Power Distribution Box
    2 USB Ports
    2 SAE Ports
    2 Powerlet Ports
    Gerbings Port
    Two Ram Ball mounts on top clamp
    Seat Leveling Mod
    Altrider Passenger Seat Replacement Plate
    Wolfman Tank Bag
    Jessie Panniers
    Bumot Top Box and Rack
    2" by 30" PVC pipe slide behind right side Jessie Pannier
    Tool Tube mounted on Rear of top box

Fluids changed, New Anakees will be on her to start the trip - should get me to Fairbanks. New spark plugs and air filter will be installed in the next couple weeks when I get time

Any of you Super Tenere gurus who can think of anything I should do let me know!

Thanks!
  5. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    That's a lovely ride across Lassen. Heads up - I rode that route one July 4th weekend, 35 and raining across Lassen, 100 and blazing once off the hill. Brilliant riding nonetheless.

Charlie
    JBird likes this.
  6. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Mark - hard at work. Good job! It will pay off
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  7. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Thanks for comment. Might have to make sure my layers are handy!

[​IMG][/IMG]
  8. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    35 degrees in July in California!!!! Wow, I wasn't planning on temps like that until we got into Alaska's Brooks Range.
  9. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    CharlestonADV and I rode from Charleston to Alaska last year. My thoughts, in no particular order.
    Jasper National Park blew me away. It was spectacular. The town was over-busy but there is a nice KOA just N of the town that was nice. The Ice fields parkway also over the top. I would consider going back just to spend time in those two places.

Pictures. We did not take enough. Often there is no good place to stop or pull over and of course you don't see the shot you want until you have passed it, requiring a U-turn. Talk about how you are going to handle that with 3 riders.

Business Cards/ calling cards. Take a bunch. The ones you don't hand out, you can use to note the names and data of people you meet. I met some people I would like to get in touch with, but don't have their info. Duh.
    Rest Days. Plan a few. We were both tired a lot of the trip. Good sun light at 11:30 does not help.

Extra Credit cards. One of ours got skimmed within minutes of buying gas, then we lost several from the Aerostitch arm pocket. A lot of the Canadian pumps want a PIN. I called USAA and the added a PIN to my credit card. No problem after that.

Too much stuff. I want to learn to travel with less. My packing and unpacking was spastic the entire trip. The bike was too heavy with the stuff. I had a nice tent, nice pad, nice sleeping bag. The could have been smaller. Get some boots that you can walk in and don't mind walking in. ( lets you leave a pair of shoes home. )

Have a great trip. If you are ever near Charleston, give me a call and I will buy you lunch.
    Ben. 843-364-1011
    XTremeRide and Tewster2 like this.
  10. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great info Ben thank you so much! I may be calling. You gave us a lot to think about. We all have Sena's so communication shouldn't be a problem but u-turns for photo ops, we probably need to discuss. Did you camp every night?
  11. Folly1

Oddometer:
    We had commo, but if we did not stop together, then the phototog was going to be 10-20 miles behind if the other guy did not stop.
    We rode the "high line" ,highway 2, as I was coming from Maine and we met up N of Pittsburg. We hit a lot of KOA's in the US and we camped in the Harley Davidson lot in Anchorage. Motels in Anchorage were $250+. We stayed in a lot of cheap motels/hotels. Usually under $100/night.
    One other point: "A lot of "Alaska" happens in Canada." Someone else said this. It is true. Not taking anything away from Alaska proper but there is a great deal of fantastic scenery in BC and the Yukon. There is a frontier air about that area which I found compelling and wished we had not rushed through it. It will get into your Soul. I think about it every day. I leave in 12 days for Moab, towing bikes out there and even with that, I am thinking about a dash up to Alaska again this Summer.
    There is so much to take in that one lifetime is not enough.
  12. Folly1

Oddometer:
    I need to clarify "rushed". We did not rush, we just did not have a much time as I would have liked and we still used 5 1/2 weeks which was really all I could spend then.

Ben.
  13. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our plan is to leave NE Georgia 5/26 and return by 7/3. That gives us 5-5.5 weeks. What was your mileage round trip?
  14. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like its going to be an amazing trip! If you happen to be overnighting in Prince George, drop me a line - I've got a couple acres of lawn for free camping, as well as a couple spare bedrooms and plenty of couch space if you need a break from the elements (and mosquitoes). Good luck with the rest of the trip planning!!
  15. Folly1

Oddometer:
    Almost exactly 10,500. This does not count getting to Maine, but is very close to Charleston, AK, Charleston. We had both been to Ak before, Charleston ADV twice, so riding in AK was not that high a priority. When we got back to Montana, we took a back roads diagonal to Charleston. This was not the fast way home but it was a great way to cross America. ( I have done it 7 times on a bike and this was the best one, by far. ) It was fun seeing all the small towns. The last two days we got in the Interstates because the towns were so close together.
  16. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Ben,

Great tips - thanks. I'll have to add another credit card and call now and ask about PINs. The business cards are a great idea. I'll go online and have some made.

We are hitting Jasper and the Icefields Parkway on the way back down. We've all got cameras but are terrible about stopping for photos. We always seem to roll through it and then talk about that night. We will have to make a point of stopping for photos. I always like the ones with riders in them!

GISdood - thanks for the gracious offer - we may take you up on that! It sure would be great to have a nice stopping point - and local info.

If either of you ever find yourself here in Greenville, SC I have a great man cave with facilities I can put you up in. Great staging area for the Blue Ridge Parkway and mountains of Western NC. LTRyder is right in the mountains of North Georgia. Our other member is from the Pensacola, FL area.

We are all very excited about the trip. I'm going to unpack the Super Tenere and get rid of some stuff. I know I've got too much long underwear packed!

What are everyone's thoughts on carrying a big tarp? I was thinking I could put one end over the bike and then come out and prop the other end on a pole and stake it. Then pitch my tent underneath. I felt this is just one more layer from the elements. I did hear of a guy that parks his bike on top of the end of the tarp - then brings the tarp up over his bike and stakes it out - covers his bike and his tent. Just not sure all this is necessary?
  17. Folly1

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer. My college room mate and still good friend lives in Greenville. Joanne and I really like your town.

I personally would not take the tarp. My tent had a good fly and a vestibule. I did have a cover for the bike, until I lost it. When I first packed and tied it all on the bike, I was horrified. I then repacked taking out a lot. I still had too much. I had a light wool sweater I never used and some heavier underwear. I did not need a flash light. My walking shoes seem to take half a saddle bag. I took no extra parts but we had two air pumps and two tool kits. I could have left my camera home and just used my Iphone.

I have done exactly as you have about not taking pictures. The landscape is so spectacular that it feels like there is no chance of doing it justice. But some people do get good landscape shots. I am reading a book on that now. Joanne is annoyed that I took so few. I am too. I also did not take pictures of the people we met. I wish I had asked and then gotten pictures of them. We met some very real characters; the type that don't even know they are.

BTW, Verizon has the best coverage, but AT&T has a secret free plan for Canada and Mexico. If you are using ATT and don't know about it, get back to me.
  18. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you really pare it down :hmmmmm, you may wind up with only 33% more than you really need. But if you do as most first-timers to Alaska, you'll find you have about 50% more than you need. :fpalm It's all part of the learning experience. Look at it this way - it gives you more to write about in your RR. :lol3

Regarding photo stops: If you haven't already, you might take a look at Dynobob's RR from his trip up this way last summer. Not sure how he managed it, because he got off his bike and walked a ways, sometimes quite a distance. But he got lots of photos, didn't do any really long days on the bike, and covered over 12,000 miles in 30 days. Granted, he pulled the bikes on a trailer between Montana and Ohio, but just in the time on a bike he managed to do a lot of miles and got a whopping number of photos.

Another one was dave6253 (lots of outstanding photos in the photos sub-forum). He and his wife rode two-up from Phoenix to Deadhorse and back, taking the scenic route both ways, and got a boatload of great photos. Did the round trip in something like 25 days. Both those guys are much more efficient than me, but their trips demonstrate that it can be done. Guess you just have to be organized. :dunno
    Folly1 likes this.
  19. Folly1

Oddometer:
    Great shots. None of mine look like that!

b
  20. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow those are beautiful, I guess that's why we all want to go!