3 Twins Head to Deadhorse - June 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JBird, Mar 14, 2017.

1. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Taking the advice you guys are giving I unpacked the Super Tenere and took a harder look at what I have. Here is all the gear that I have in the two Jesse panniers.

The stuff left of center was the gear I'm wearing during warmer weather - across the US to California and up the coast - and then back from Wyoming through South Dakota. The gear on the right is heavier stuff I will wear up in the Pacific Northwest, Canada, Alaska, Montana.

Not pictured are the Hippo Hands, Gerbing Electric Liner, 3 Pair of gloves - one electric, and my camping gear.

[​IMG][/IMG]

So I opened each bag and assessed what was redundant and what was not necessary. Here is the stack I decided I did not need. Yes I need the helmet - it is there for size reference.

Got rid of a pair of thick heavy arborist pants, two insulated top coats (one pull over one zip,) two pair of heavy long underwear, two light long underwear tops.

I'm not putting this stack back in the house yet - just setting it aside - I'll do another assessment in a couple weeks.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I am getting very excited about this trip!!
  2. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Went through my gear one more time, here is the result that I am about 100% sure is the final setup. Just need to throw my laptop in the top bag and Ill be set. Also have 1 more Mosko Duffle that is in a side bag in the event I need more space down the road. Also put the new tires on this weekend.

Attached Files:

3. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    So I loaded everything up today other than cameras and tools and took her down to the scales with 1/2 tank of fuel. Anyone want to guess what she weighs - without the rider???

[​IMG]
  4. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    738 pounds.

What do I win?

Charlie
  5. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    704!
  6. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    34 lbs too low.

Charlie
  7. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    It was 710. God help me when I drop it! Just have a few tools, some maps, and a couple cameras to add.

I may be able to get rid of a few items of clothes but not much - 5 pounds at the most.
  8. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's why you travel with friends. Remember: Friends will help you pick up your bike when you drop it. GOOD friends will help you before they take a photo! :lol3
    RJ44, JBird and Tewster2 like this.
  9. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Ill have to make sure that I ride in front of you to ensure I don't miss the views.

[​IMG]
    LTRyder likes this.
  10. 2old2care

2old2care Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to diversify slightly, when you get to Deadhorse see if the owners of the store there have removed the World famous sign yet on the instruction of the owners new girlfriend!?!?!?! Alaska20-085.jpg
  11. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Got around to checking the valves last night and as I was hoping/suspecting they were all in spec:clap Ran out of foam filter cleaner for the prefilter, Ill pick some up today. New Air Filter installed, breaks bled, new tires/tubes installed, just need a new front master cylinder cap screw and a test ride. The one that was on there was stripped, fortunately I was able to get it out easily.

[​IMG]

This is how I normally pack the bike for a weekend camping trip. This one is a bit longer so Ill be packing this same way, but adding a Mosko duffle to the rear. I like to keep things simple and light. Bags are already packed, just need to load them on the bike.

[​IMG]
  12. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh to be in my 30's again & ride a bike like that all day & sleep anywhere. Those were the the days, weren't they?
  13. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    I've seen him put many miles on a Superhawk ( 120 at a time since that is max range,) a KTM 690, a KLR, and now this. Not a whole lot of wind protection on the 950SE!

Nice to a have a mechanic along for the trip. Nice work on the valves - how much have they moved since you last did them?
  14. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    No mechanic...more tinkerer that can follow the directions of the KTM How. If something sticks from following directions that's a bonus. That's why Ive got a flat screen tv mounted on the wall above the bike lift.

Haha...yep, the Superhawk and others were memorable trips. I guess I prefer no windscreens, cleaner air that way.
  15. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mentioned that the valves were tight, is that where you want shim type valves to be? Is the shim harder than the valve stem? Will they tighten up or loosen up as the miles rack up? Anybody?
  16. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Too tight and they won't seat all the way and can burn a valve. Too loose and they don't open all the way and the cam "bangs" against the bucket and can wear the cam. I think.

If the valve or the seat wears the tolerances will tighten up over time - if the bucket or cam wears they will loosen over time.

Shim is much more of a pain in the rear - the cams have to come out - so the motor has to be locked in place. All the tolerances have to be written down and then the existing shims have to be mic'd so you know what shim to go back with. Takes patience and precision - neither of which I possess!
  17. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    All of them were in spec. The intake specs call for .10-.15mm the front cylinder were both .13mm the rear intakes were both .10mm. The exhaust specs call for .25-.30mm the front were both .25mm. The rear was .25mm on one and the other was .28mm. They all fall into the spec range, so no need to adjust.
  18. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Since we are all anxious to get riding. I check these camera's often to check out the views. Unfortunately, everything has been covered in snow.

http://avcams.faa.gov/
  19. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a beautiful little campground - The Cottonwood - right on the Duffey Lake road near Lillooett. This area is an absolute rider's dream! If you have time, ride the little hwy 8 to Spences Bridge - just gorgeous.
  20. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. Right at Lillooett we are thinking of going south on 12 and then coming back up 1. We were told this is a little loop we should not miss. Your thoughts on this?

Thanks!