3 Twins Head to Deadhorse - June 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JBird, Mar 14, 2017.

1. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely - it's gorgeous. Personally I would still detour south east on the 8 from Spences Bridge towards Merritt, heading back north on the 97C from Lower Nicola, but that's because I have such fond memories of riding the 8. I have only been on it once, riding a cruiser and trying my damnedest to keep up to a Triumph Tiger 800 XC, and it was a really exhilarating ride - but then, you could say that about almost any road in the entire province, lol
  2. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    @LTRyder @JBird @TurboBonefish

1 Month from today:clap

(I actually would have left a month from yesterday, but none of it would be new territory. Just to meet up with everyone else.)
  3. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YES! One month to go & I am very excited. Bike is ready, gear is packed except for a few last minute daily use items. I still need to top up with fresh fuel & air the tires. We have Road Atlanta road racing this weekend to attend, life is good. Just checked the weather in Prudhoe Bay & no rain or snow but man, it is still very cold up that way.
  4. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Here are the plugs that came out of the Super Tenere at 13,000 miles. The new Mitas Dakar E07s are on too. I will run them at 42 psi and then air down for gravel. I'll report back on the mileage I get out of these tires. I may run the bike in "touring mode" versus "sport mode" to try to help the tires last. I'm going to find out if some these high mileage reports on these tires are true!!!

[​IMG]
  5. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those plugs look pretty good for 13,000 miles. FI has really improved this I guess.
  6. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    And the plugs all look exactly the same. Not always the case in 2 plug heads. 4 weeks and we will be on the road!
  7. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to finishing up the maintenance on the SE. Valves were in spec, replaced air filter, pre filter and the o-rings on the petcocks as one was leaking. Idle was a little, bumped it back up until it sounded right as there is not a tach on the SE. Took it for a 40 mile shake down run with the bags loaded. Bike ran great, new tires felt great and it was nice to get out on it instead of wrenching. Got home and changed the oil and replaced all the filters, screens, gaskets and o-rings with new. Petcock is still leaking a bit on one side so ordered two new ones. Running max tires pressure on the E07 Dakars at 42psi. On the test ride I rode a bit of everything from dirt, 2-lane, highway and even ran it up to about 110mph and not even the slightest weave everything is smooth and rock steady. Few pics of my setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    se950, RJ44 and JBird like this.
  8. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good! Sounds like we are all ready to go, now we wait. 25 days till we hit the road.
  9. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Added a tool tube with a bottle of extra oil inside for topping up if needed.

The first 6 days of lodging are lining up between camping and others hosting us, we can make it to the west coast with very little lodging expenses.
    JBird likes this.
  10. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Wondering around Walmart today I found this small air horn in the boating section. Much smaller than the one I already had packed - about $8. I figure I only need a blast or two and if that doesn't work I'll spray Cheese-Wiz on Mark's tent as I run away.

[​IMG]
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I understand running excessive pressure reduces longevity of E-07s they are designed to have specific profile. They are not radials. Mitas call them "hybrid" but it is basically bias ply tire and stiffer tire needs less pressure.

Previous revision was rated at 33psi andrunning 30/33 f/r on S10 according to owners would give 12-14k miles. YMMV
  12. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    This version is rated at 42psi and from the advice of some Super Tenere owners I'm going to try running them at that pressure. These guys got really great mileage out of them. I'll be able to give us a report of how they do on a heavily loaded bike at these pressures.

Josh is also running them on his KTM 950SE on this trip. I suspect his bike will be 150 pounds lighter than mine so it will be interesting to see the wear differences.

I'd like to be able to get back into the states on these tires or even home if I take care of them.
  13. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Progressive sent me a Canadian Liability Insurance card in a couple days after I requested it. There is a lot of speculation whether this is needed or not - so I figured I may as well get one. Progressive told me that they do sometimes have customers that run into a problem because they don't have one in their possession - especially if stopped within Canada..

[​IMG]
  14. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    9 days & we are off! We have added one to our group. Kenny will join us for the first leg of the trip & ride with us from Cleveland, GA to Eureka, CA. He will turn around & head back alone due to work. This will be his first cross country trip by motorcycle. He rides a 2013 1200 Triumph Explorer.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is not twin.

Good luck on your trip we are living same Friday and will be camping overnight at Cuyahoga Valley. Then Mich, ND, NW before heading north.

If you are camping in Eureka we camped at old KOA there 3 times. It is no longer KOA got bought out called RV-something, but they still maintain tent spots. Hot showers, laundry and heated pool as I recall.

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
  16. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Cyclopathic,

Thanks for the advice on the camp ground - we will look for it. What are you riding up to Alaska? How many in your group? What is the rest of the group on?

We look forward to a great trip and crossing paths with a lot of the other motorcyclists during this adventure.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am riding with my son and be both on twins Wee and kwak 650r. I don't think we are likely to cross maybe at D2D (if you're going, haven't followed your thread) or somewhere on Haul road. We are taking northern route (MI, ND, PNW) and it looks like you're going south of us.

I need to get a tarp to hang above tent. Last time we camped at Olympic it rained non-stop for 3 days and water got through. Locals use 2 tarps camping there, one under and another above tent to keep them dry. Come to think it also rained every time we had gone to NoCal, but not as much.
  18. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    I bought a tarp - mounted a pole holder to my bike - and then took everything off. It was just a lot of stuff to carry and set up.

What size tarp are you taking?

I even thought of "tacoing" my bike and tent in a tarp. Just could not justify carrying all that. I figure that is what the rainfly is for.

I might think differently after a lot of rain.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am just looking at the small $7 tarp and rope to hang over tent/table in case if it rains non-stop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 12x12 Kelty or REI tarp with 2 poles at the last minute. Going to stuff the tarp in a saddle bag and strap the poles on my duffel just in case. I figure i can set it up over the tent door & give me a place to sit if it's raining. Get dressed out of the weather, pack most items & not have to hibernate in the tent.