3 Wks in Northern India Pics

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sideoff, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were headed to Nepal for some trekking but a friend of mine in Delhi had a Royal Enfield and he offered to loan it to us for a few weeks. It wasn't running, but we found a mechanic... ok wait I need to put in a plug for this mechanic...

His name is Lalli Singh and he's based in Delhi - this guy is THE MAN when it comes to Enfields and motorcycle touring in India. I think he may have a website but anyway his contact info is in the Lonely Planet. He totally set us up with everything we needed. Panniers for the bike. Complete motor rebuild on same-day service. Tons of spare parts for the journey. Gave us his cell in case we broke down. Can't help but put in a big plug for him, trip would have been SO MUCH harder without his lesson in enfield mechanical stuff etc. One warning though: if you want to rent a moto from him you need an intl drivers license! Wasn't an issue for us since we had our own bike. I have no affiliation with LS, just giving props to a guy who really knows his stuff and who totally helped us out.

Anyway, got the bike running and went on a journey north through Chandigarth, Shimla, Dharmshala/McLeod Ganj, Dhariwal, Amritsar, to the Pakistan border and then back to Delhi and down to The Taj Mahal in Agra. Great trip and loads of fun! One small spill on a tight turn and we did have a little bender with a car in Delhi. Nothing serious. Delhi traffic is insane. The rest of the trip was PERFECT for motorcycling!! Enfields are hilarious. They break down a lot but everyone knows how to work on them so it's a great way to meet people. Seriously some of the highlights of the trip started with bike problems :-)

Here's a youtube video I put together from some video clips my girlfriend took from the back of the bike:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KDfuBetZOzo

Here's a few pics from the trip... we literally took hundreds! Thanks to all the ADV riders who keep posting their pics from trips around the world! Love it. Get's me excited for future trips.

Humayan's Tomb

[​IMG]

Delhi Streets

[​IMG]

Around Delhi

[​IMG]

With Lalli Singh

[​IMG]

Lalli Singh's shop, rebuilding motor...

[​IMG]

First test ride

[​IMG]

I kept wondering what kind of mishap?

[​IMG]

Hotel room in Shimla

[​IMG]

On the road

[​IMG]

On the road

[​IMG]

Navigating

[​IMG]

On the road

[​IMG]

On the road

[​IMG]

Big time breakdown... take it apart, put it back together, take it apart again... this was in Dhariwal... nicest people I've ever met. One guy let us stay at his house, another guy showed us around his rice factory, then took us on a tour of a wool mill... people kept taking us around town and showing us the sights. They don;t get many visitors. All-in-all a very entertaining 36 hours in a very small town.

[​IMG]

In the wool mill.

[​IMG]

Sugar cane vendor

[​IMG]

Rice truck

[​IMG]

Golden Temple in Amritsar, holy Sikh site

[​IMG]

At Pakistan border

[​IMG]

Taj Mahal

[​IMG]
  2. Sparkdaddy

Sparkdaddy aventurero

Oddometer:
    Looks like a cool trip.
  3. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

One day I'll talk the wife into going to India. That's the second thread I have seen on the place and I'm impressed! I imagine things wouldn't be too expensive either(??).

Thanks for taking the time to post up your pictures. If you've got more I'd happily look through them, if you are willing to post them!
  4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    I am truly drawn to the prospect of traveling India by motorcycle. Please post pics if you have the time. Thank you.
  5. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    thoes are some very nice looking pictures... I will take a look at the writing too.

Best of luck and if you have more pictures I want to see them!!!:clap:clap:clap

Damasovi
  6. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:

OLD Delhi Streets, really old.
  7. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:

What beautiful places do we see here ?
  8. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:

Things aren't expensive at all, compared to other countries. Bikes, fuel, acccomodation is all very cheap.
  9. billyt53

billyt53 Phast Phossil

Oddometer:
    Great pics. Brings back memories!!!!!!!!

I have done 2 motorcycling trips to Northern India, first in 1999 and again in 2002. India is a real eye opener!!! Both trips were with a mob called Ferris wheels motorcycle adventures and they were fantastic. Our bikes were also organised by Lalli Sing.....including support mechanics. Couldn't speak more highly of them.

Our first trip there in '99 was REAL exciting!! We were actually riding through a war zone. India and Pakistan were having another session bombing the crap out of each other. As we were riding through some passes, bombs, missiles, whatever, were exploding on the sides of the mountains. The soldiers at each checkpoint would only let 2 through at a time as they think its better that only 2 get killed instead of 15 at once!!! We really shouldn't have been there at that time. Empty artilliary shells littered the roads and it was an effort to avoid collision and the inevitable fall if we struck them.

India would have to be one of the greatest adventures any motorcyclist would hope for.

Thanks for rekindling the grey matter.

http://www.ferriswheels.com.au/
  10. EXRM193

EXRM193 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    India looks nice. :thumb
    You two seem to have had a wonderful trip.
    I want to get out and see these things too. :tb
    Q~
  12. Popey

Popey Nutter

Oddometer:
    Great pics - man I'd love to go there. :thumb
  13. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    A fine presentation, the photos are beautiful the route very senic The locals are very friendly. your lady could be a model with her charming smile. you are a great couple on a fine adventure. Congradulations.
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous!! Thanks for the pics and report.. please post more if it's possible :thumb
  15. DirtRiderwjc2000

DirtRiderwjc2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great pics, wtf is this pic?
  16. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
  17. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - thx for the posts!

JTB - Flight is expensive but everything else is reasonable. A new royal enfield costs like $2k and there's tons of used ones around. They break down a lot but service costs almost nothing.

Chanderjeet - Yeah, that one is from "very old" Delhi. We were staying in Vasant Vihar but took a couple trips into that part of the city. Wild. The road photos you asked about are on the way from Shimla to McLeod Ganj. It was a great two days of riding. Really nice.

Billyt - Whoa... that sounds intense!

A1fa - I'm a total lurker but I love this site. I'm based in Hood River, OR and have a gsa for dualsport but mainly I like going to other countries. I do a month-long dec trip every year. Last year was South Africa. Mexico before that. I did a really fun trip in Vietnam a few years ago on a 150cc minsk I got in Hanoi and rode to Saigon. I've also done shorter trips in SE Asia. This year I'm planning Venezuela in April and Argentina in Dec, both on a bike assuming I can find one there.

Will try to get some more photos on photobucket tonight... thanks for all the replies!!

Pete
  18. LovemaX

LovemaX The Riding FreeBird

Oddometer:
    Hi pete

Just looking at the pics I can tell that you followed the way across from SHimla Mandi to Dharamshala... Amazing it must be.
    I wonder if you are in Delhi ... we can catch up for a evening Tea or little drinks.

~m~
  19. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    That was just too cool! Thanks, I needed that...
  20. DMc

DMc Where's the map?

Oddometer:
    My family and I are moving up there in a couple of months. :lol3 Great shots. Thanks for sharing. Do you know of any local websites that deal with dirt riding up there? Hijack over. :wink: