$30 Thermarest Seat mod

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by NAZDirt, Jul 13, 2010.

1. NAZDirt

NAZDirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In a effort to save myself from a sore ass and an empty wallet I made a cheap cushion. I already did the seat dishing and wear padded cycle shorts and still needed just a little more. I didnt want to drop $100 on an Airhawk or sheepskin, and wasn't gonna get approval for a new seat.

Having spent a lot of time in canoes and kayaks I remembered that Thermarest makes a small version of their full size self inflating bed rolls. I found one at a paddle shop for $26. It is 1" thick and the perfect size to cover the seat. The next step was to keep it from blowing away when I stand. Enter 1' of 1" webbing, SeamGrip. and 1' of 2mm elastic cord all for $4. I cut two strips of the webbing and adhered it to the end of the pad opposite the valve to make 2 loops. It took one coat dried to each surface of strap and pad. Once dried another coat of SeamGrip applied and they stuck together. The cord goes thru the loops and attached to the buckles of the tank bag.

Now for the good..

It is self inflating and the valve is easily done blindly while driving. Its pretty easy to let a little out or let it self inflate to change the pressure points.

The pad is cooler than the seat on hot days.

Easily removes for hitting the dirt or when you want to change it up and sit on the plank.

Cheap mod.

And the bad...
    Just as others say about the Airhawk you lose the direct connection with the seat. If overinflated I can see what people complain about rocking on the cushion and since it isn't shaped perfectly is does hit funny on the thighs.

All in all for $30 I have plenty of $ left for lights and new tires.

http://cid-3ac0a812cfbdba1e.photos.live.com/self.aspx/BMW/07132010%20135.JPG

http://cid-3ac0a812cfbdba1e.photos.live.com/self.aspx/BMW/07132010%20132.JPG
  2. AK_Troyer

AK_Troyer Not AKTroy

Oddometer:
    Brilliant idea. Never thought of that one.

FYI, the 1-up sheep skin is $75, and you can still feel the plank after awhile.