300+ per day?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Heatery, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    300+ per day with no interstates? What do you guys see? I recently rode from Alabama to central florida. It was all i could do to make 300 in a day. Small towns and 55 MPH roads made average speed 41. I barley took time to see anything. What fun is that?

These are just questions. Not harping on anyone. I just cant believe I am the only one amazed at days of 4 or 500 miles.
    RatAssassin and zellersc like this.
  2. rockapede

rockapede Smoke and Mirrors

Oddometer:
    I tend to avoid towns like the plague unless I need food or gas. They can be quite a time suck. Some areas one doesn’t have a choice, though.
    Heatery likes this.
  3. tlub

tlub Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on where you are, 500 miles on 2-lanes is not bad. It could be impossible in certain areas, but my son and I averaged about 480 per day on a recent trip from Wisconsin to Eureka, CA and back. Two days were Interstate, but on one of them we also traded in a bike and bought a new one. Those two days were 700 miles and 230 miles, so still the same daily average. The rest were pretty much on US highways and State highways. Nearly all were 2-lane. Our bikes were an R75/5 which turned 189,000 on the way back, and a 1997 R1100GS-> 2009 R1200GS. I had the R75/5 and am 64 years old.
    300 miles and 41 mph is only a bit over 7:15 for a day of traveling. The problem might be you are starting too late. Start at 7AM or before: the day is cooler, and your 300 miles is done by just after lunch. Another 200 at 41 mph is done by supper time.
    Not a problem. I think we averaged about 48 mph, but that was mostly out west. Some days we did not get started until 9:30 or 10. My son sleeps late, and we were kind of into moseying.
    Heatery and neanderthal like this.
  4. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    most ive done is 530 Iowa-Northern arkansas including the ferry ride.. Could easily have done more if it werent for the heavens unleashing.....

done 600+ interestate, not as fun.
    Heatery likes this.
  5. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    I do 300+ mile days frequently on the best roads Appalachia has to offer. It’s not hard to average 50 mph unless you do a lot of small towns where obeying speed limits is just courteous and smart.
  6. franken

franken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    right question - wrong forum. ;-)
    Heatery and AdamChandler like this.
  7. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Falling under the premise of "just to see if we could do it" we traveled from Northern Indiana to Western South Dakota and back without one inch of interstate. It took some finagling and artful dodging but we did it nonetheless. We had a couple of days over 300 miles but it was completely unintentional. The great thing about the High Plains is the fact that you can actually ride 50 miles or more between towns. We could have done more miles per day but those danged gravel roads kept pulling us off the asphalt.
    Heatery likes this.
  8. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    You are correct. I didnt even think about it when i posted. Out of curiosity which forum would you have chosen?
    rcan08 likes this.
  9. AHRMA17L

AHRMA17L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose it depends where you are. In the west, it would be hard not to hit 300 on rural roads and rural highways.
    kwthom and Heatery like this.
  10. hock2e

hock2e This is a bad idea, but I'm all about bad ideas.

Oddometer:
    Mr. Munch Alot, how do you like the new Triumph ??
    Heatery likes this.
  11. Socalstrom

Socalstrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you take fewer breaks the miles rack up faster...I live out west so you can ride on 2 lanes for hours at 50-70 miles an hour depending on how twisty it is.
    Tenacious B and Heatery like this.
  12. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    It's not a race, at least for me. It's about the experience,
    not what time I get there~ :bmwrider
  13. WYO George

WYO George It's not you, it's me.

Oddometer:
    It's not a race for me either, but I also enjoy to ride and not park my bike. I stop a lot along the way, but my stops usually last less than 2 minutes so I put on a pretty leisurely 500 miles a day on most of my trips. Some days are only 300 +/- if it's a section of really nice twisty roads with good places to stop and eat :)
    Heatery and Knute Dunrvnyet like this.
  14. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    If you're average 40 mph, you're only riding 7 or 8 hours a day. If that's what you like, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. We've all got different ideas of what we consider to be a fun trip. I love long days in the saddle. If I'm on a trip, I'm usually doing 10-12 hour days, and my stops aren't usually very long. Doing this, it's easy to do 400-500+ mile days.

For me, on motorcycle trips, it's the riding I enjoy much more than the destination or the stops in between. I do my sightseeing while I'm riding.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'd probably put this in the perfect line and other riding myths forum. No big deal, I'm sure a mod will see this and move it. If not, oh well. :thumb
  15. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet 'Don't forget to miss me!'

Oddometer:
    I usually did ~ 350 miles/day- but it was always the 'smallest township tar, dirt, forest, and seasonal roads I could find. I checked stuff out, but never rarely things that deserved more than 30 minutes. The enjoyment of the day's riding was almost always the main goal.
    mitchxout and Heatery like this.
  16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I watch the world unfold, and roll by. Sometimes, that’s what I want to see.

To see the mountains rise up out of the plains. To see a canyon split open. To ride with an osprey, and watch how it breathes at speed. To race a storm. To watch a continent change as I traverse it.

And sometimes I can get lost spending an afternoon in a square foot of my yard. Looking small st s micro world.

A day sitting still, a day hiking. Both are wonderful.
  17. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride over 300 all the time around central Alabama. Lots of great areas to ride and see. Cheaha, Logan Martin and Lay lakes. I ride 100 miles round trip just to eat breakfast with a friend in Tuscaloosa. I guess as long as I'm riding I'm having fun.
    sperz1 and Heatery like this.
  18. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I avoid interstates too! The Wife and I just finished a 6 day 2-up ride and went between 350-400 miles each day. I try to stay well hydrated so my bladder is usually the limiting factor for how far I can go between stops.
    Heatery likes this.
  19. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its taken me a long time to get used to riding for any real distance but since I have gotten a bit of a pattern down I easily do 4-500 miles a day on back roads. For me it took reaching a point where I realized that I didn't actually have to stop every 45 minutes to stretch and walk around for 10 minutes. Now I just enjoy the ride until I see something that makes me want to stop to take a picture or two or I have to stop for gas. Now that I've started doing that I've even done a couple iron butts though those were mostly interstate and only really done just to say I had.
    dduelin, nk14zp and Heatery like this.
  20. AdamChandler

AdamChandler n00b

Oddometer:
    I did 600+ yesterday. Only spent 5 miles on 95. Rest was local and county roads. It was a great day. Granted I started at 5:30AM. Got home at 9PM.

Grey line w/ red arrows is the route from central NH to Bangor Maine. Then I turned around and came home.

[​IMG]

I did a lot of dirt roads. Just explored. I kept an eye on my heading to make sure I was heading in the right direction and went from there. Got back on the bike this morning and rode to work.
    nk14zp, Heatery and Richy like this.