1. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Just thought I would throw this out there. When I found out from Jeff that I should be using tracks instead of routes to plan my trips, I already had the TAT for Ok and Ar in the computer as routes. So when I went in to put the tracks in, it made it very easy to follow the magenta line and it only took a few minutes to do the entire two states. I had already sent the routes to the gps, so now I sent the tracks too. Then I discovered purely by accident, that if I opened the route first in the gps and then opened the track, that I got both on the GPS. It looks like this might be a good way to do it, because you have all the curves in the magenta, with the track in another color, running with it, but in a straight line. Is there any problems with doing it this way that I am not seeing?
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    No problem running both at the same time.
  3. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:

+1 :thumb

The TAT is actually more fun with the maps. Navigation is part of the quest. A monkey can follow the highlighted lines on the GPS ! Set key points of interest waypoints on the GPS and follow the rollcahart.
  4. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    My buddy that I am going to ride the TAT with, doesn't have a gps and likes to use the roll charts. Between his roll charts and my gps, we should be good. We did this doing the Barstow to Vegas DS ride last year and it worked great.
  5. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for helping me understand it. You and Jim C could put on a gps clinic.
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I'm a terrible teacher, Jim would be good tho.
  7. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    To bad people did not feel the same way about the Continental Divide routes.

Some of the same issue but people still have the CD tracks up on this site.
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    :huh Available FOR FREE from the Adventure Cycling Assn

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/gps2.cfm

Not the same as the TAT
  9. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    But they ask you to buy the map to go with the GPS file.

Adventure Cycling Association National Bicycle Route Network
    GPS Data - Download Agreement

Please review this agreement before downloading any Adventure Cycling Association National Bicycle Route Network (NBRN) GPS data.

The Adventure Cycling Association NBRN GPS waypoint data currently consist of turns, key intersections and services. Locational information used to create this waypoint data were obtained from third party software and directories. All data are in Decimal Degrees format, using the World Geographic System 1984.

This data set was developed in a set of formats that may be uploaded to common consumer-grade handheld GPS units for recreational and entertainment purposes. These data are not adequate alone for navigating the NBRN routes. They are intended as an adjunct to the Adventure Cycling maps.

To access and use this data, we ask that you agree to the following liability disclaimer, use proper citation on any materials in which this information appears, and (most importantly) you use the data appropriately. Always bring a map and carry a compass!

Distribution Liability:
    Adventure Cycling Association shall not be held liable for improper or incorrect use of the data described and/or contained herein. These data are not legal documents and are not intended to be used as such. The information contained in these data is dynamic and may change over time. The data are not better than the original sources from which they were derived. It is the responsibility of the data user to use the data appropriately and consistently within the limitations of geospatial data in general and these data in particular.

Adventure Cycling Association gives no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of these data. No warranty expressed or implied is made regarding the utility of the data on other units or systems for general or scientific purposes, nor shall the act of distribution to the public or other agencies constitute any such warranty. This disclaimer applies both to individual use of the data and aggregate use with other data.

Downloading these data signifies acceptance of the data "as is." Adventure Cycling Association shall not be responsible for errors or omissions in the data, and shall not be obligated to provide updates, additions, corrections, or technical support for this data in the future.
  10. ozarkrider

ozarkrider Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer:
    The maps and roll charts I got from Sam about 5 years ago had gps coordinates marked for most of the intersections. Sure made it handy since my first trip on the trail in AR wasn't at the eastern line. I started down by Heber Springs and headed west.

When ya headed out on this adventure?
  11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I don't read it like that. "Always bring a map" means any map to me. The only reason that's in there is for liability protection so some dumb ass doesn't blindly follow the GPS off a cliff and sue them.

I didn't buy the maps, but did purchase the book (which includes small versions of the maps). I used BigDog's GPS files, which I modified for my own use.
  12. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    I have both and made my own GPS file. The maps are waterproof and were great to have on the ride. Plan on doing the same for the TAT.
  13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Yep, one of my partners had the maps, so I didn't need to buy them.

All I'm saying is I personally think since the Adv Cycling guys put the GPS out there for free no one should feel guilty about posting their own files publicly.
    I don't see wording in the disclaimer that even tries to make you buy the maps.

If I were to do the TAT I would spring for the maps.
  14. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    Yea, I am doing the TAT in June and the maps for AR were very simple to enter into mapsource. I am using roads and rec and it's all good so far. Just buy the maps and do it the right way.
  15. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the TAT website I clipped the following:
    Tennessee | 11 600 miles yes 100% $34.00

- | Mississippi 5 217 miles yes 100% $22.00

- | Arkansas 9 472 miles yes 100% $32.00

- | Oklahoma 16 750 miles yes 40% $40.00

The % means the amount GPS'd....does that mean tracks or what?
  16. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased the maps starting in Ar and all the way west. Just finished putting them in the computer last night. It was real easy until I got to Utah. Then some of the trails were not on my maps. I am using Topo USA and City select. The further west I got, the harder it got, with Oregon being the toughest. There is no gps coordinates on my maps for the parts farthest west. Looks like I am going to have to use the route sheet in a lot of these areas. Has anyone else had the same problem?

I am going the 1st of June, Maybe I'll see you on the trail.
  17. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I had made a GPS file to go with my map files back in either '99 or '00. I think some of the TAT in Arkansas has changed from back then as they would not allow me to go thru a Wildlife Management Area back then, I showed the Ranger the map I had and he suggested an alternate route for me. Turned out to be pretty fun anyway. I later sent Sam the info and it goes around there now.

Some of the best money I spent was the roll charts and maps. My old Garmin 3 didn't show hardly any roads cept major state on up, but it let me know which way I needed to head for a town.

Sam deserves all he can get from his work. My hat is off to him.
  18. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:

That means there are GPS coordinates for every important intersection or landmark.

I have the same problem sometimes following the roll charts so I just pull out the maps and it's not a problem. I am using roads and rec and city navigator 08. Hopefully we will see you out there. I mostly use the roll charts to put in the data but then when I get confused I just use the maps and match them to the maps in roads and rec and I can find out where the trail goes. How are you going through CO? I've heard that CO got a ton of snow this year and some of the passes my not be navigable til later in July?
  19. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    We may not be able to go over a lot of the passes in Co. that early in the year. It's really not a big deal to me because I have been over all those passes a hundred times. We ride there every summer. We will just have to go around them on the slab, if that is the only way to go.
  20. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:
    Yea, we are thinking the same thing. Although I've never been out west so I would like to ride over the passes but we'll just see what happens.