1. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a used Garmin 60Csx and I am trying to use an older Roads and rec software, I cant get my software to see the gps(I am using a USB and the software does not have a USB connection) am I screwed and have to buy a newer version, OR????
    jeff
    jeffy@mchsi.com
  2. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    Are you sure that you updated the mapsource version that came with R&R?
  3. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will look at that Thanks
  4. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe the last version of Roads and Rec was 3.03.
  5. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I updated my GPS and the software and all is great. this is one reason I became a member. Thanks again

Jeff
  6. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it's working out for you. Roads and Rec is a great resource for out of the way trips.
  7. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup Now I have to learn how to use R&R and do the of the beaten path stuff
  8. tulsaokjoel

tulsaokjoel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have any experience with the putting the TAT trail into a Lowrance gps? I've got the Ifinder H20C. I also have Mapcreate, which is the Lowrance mapping software. I bought the Oklahoma maps of the TAT and am ready to start getting them into my gps.

Thanks,
    Joel
  9. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No , But I would be interested in riding that SOB with ya this spring or summer
    Jeff
  10. tulsaokjoel

tulsaokjoel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still in the dreaming stages. I already have a week long trip planned for the mountain passes in CO late July, so I probably won't get to do the tat this year. We'll see though.
  11. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CO Mountians sure are nice. I have a Fl. diving trip for lobster in late July or I would ask to tag along. Ive been thinking about a tat through Arkansas in April- May. and then in July-Aug a CO Mt pass trip or up to Duluth MN. then around Lake Superior maybe over to Montreal then home again. I was down on the Talihina trail in NOV, wow nice roads.
    Jeff
  12. tulsaokjoel

tulsaokjoel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just spent the last couple hours adding waypoints and routes of the Oklahoma TAT into my Mapcreate software. I'll try loading it on the Lowrance Ifinder tomorrow.

Our trip to CO consists of trailering our bikes behind an rv to Eureka (North of Silverton). We camp there and ride out and back loops each day. We've got smaller bikes (Mainly drz400 etc) so riding from OK would not be much fun. The riding once we get there is great however!

Joel
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would love to have someone who has done the TAT to come ride Mex2Can to get a comparison. Starting in '09 we will offer an 11 day straight through trip in September designed for Adventure Bikes (minimal sand & rocks).

By the way you not only get a roll chart for each day you get GPS tracks.
  14. leahyz

leahyz Gigantic Tool

Oddometer:
    We just got back from running TN and MS. We got some heavy rain, so some MS roads turned into mud which our big piggy-GS's seemed to like. Greg's even did a roll around in it!

Water crossings were high, and there were a few road closures. I plan to put together a .gpx file with all of the water crossings marked, and the closed sections marked.

PS - we fixed the bridge ADV style :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has additional points of interest on the TN and MS sections, I would love to add them. I added waypoints for all of the state parks that have camping (since they are not on cityNAv, topo 1999, or topo 2008). We marked gated closures, and water crossings, and we'd like to roll in any other infor for a comprehensive .gpx addendum file to the route. No the file will NOT have the route our our tracks when I post it, just some useful information for those following us.

Full ride report coming within a week.
  15. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    I'd love to have an amendment of points of interest to that section of the TAT. I presently have AR,MS,TN TAT maps and plugging in each waypoint, I only have 6 more months of data entry left ....... Since TN is pretty much paved I considered taking a path more thru MS, AL, and going up towards the tail of the dragon ....... unless of course your POI list and ride report shows that my little WR250F will be happy on all that pavement ....... my launch date is april 5th-ish from south padre island, texas and ending in central NJ.
  16. leahyz

leahyz Gigantic Tool

Oddometer:
    What mapset are you using? if it's city select or citynav there is a much easier way to do it - use routes and if you want convert them to tracks. If it's topo, or roads and rec, then you'll probably be drawing a trackline.

TN is probably 75% pavement, but consider this - if a road was gravel or dirt 5 years ago, and then chip sealed - does it become any less scenic? The back paved roads are still a neat trip - different but neat. The chip seal also eats up knobbies - my TKCs got a lot of abuse through TN as it's really abrasive.

I will send you something before you go, it probably won't be very cleaned up yet, and might be a bit hard to understand. We tried to mark where the gravel sections are as we thought about coming back with our wives (who both ride but hate non-pavement) so we would know for next time. We marked all of the water crossings we hit, and what roads were scenic, or twisties. I likely will not post all of that detail as I don't want to give away the route for anyone who has not bought hte maps, but it if anyone has the maps, I'm happy to share our information, and hope it helps.

I'm working on writing the trip report, my riding partner will likely do a lot of the tracklog post-processing.
  17. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    I'm using cn08 on a mac and bobcat, which doesn't do tracks. Also to add to my problems is that I have a 2610, again no tracks, so I'm kinda stuck with waypoints and using sam's maps. He sure put a lot into doing all that personalized map sets each time! You mentioned water crossings, and with all that flooding going on, I'm guessing I got some detours ahead, especially since I leaving in two weeks. ... and now to put me behind a bit more, I'm headed to a texas hill country barn dance and party ..... gonna give my new eno hammock a real world test !

18. leahyz

leahyz Gigantic Tool

Oddometer:
    Skip the waypoints. Create a route using the Route tool (not the track tool) and then use that. I also have a 2610 and that was the way I did it. Worked very well and quick to create the route.

Find on the map where the trail starts, take the route tool and just start picking each road (adding a via point on each road where you click - pick on the road, not at the intersection). It will snap the route to the roads with a purple line. Use plenty of via points in the route so Mapsource can't tell you to use a road you don't want. If you draw east-to-west and want to travel west-to-east, select the route and tell Mapsource to invert it. the 2610 cannot invert a route you loaded form mapsource. It took me about 45 minutes per state to create the route. I added a lot of additional waypoints for campsites and stuff which takes a bit longer. I never even looked at the roll charts except for the first waypoint coordinates in TN. When you transfer the data, select "routes" on the checkbox. When you get to the start, select the route form the route list menu, and push "Activate Route" and away you go with turn by turn direction. You could even wear headphones and get voice prompts!

We got flooded on actually. We rode through hail and lightning, and had a night of severe thunderstorms. I've started a ride report over ont he ride report section, you will see we ran into some upassable places.
  19. wrryder

wrryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All Great stuff. I am learning a lot here. I am just about to pull the trigger on a 60CSx (Walmart for $280, anyone beat that?). But am still wondering what software to buy. I will be creating/sharing routes and tracks (now that I know the difference) for 60% off road and 40% Dual soprt or street riding. Someone recommended Roads and Recreation which sounded good but the Garmin web site says that is wa dscontinued in 2004???

Can you guys give me a recommendation for software to go with a 60CSx?

Thanks, Craig
  20. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    GPS map software is proprietary, so theres only one choice for the garmin, Mapsource, you'll want the topo I'm sure.
    I use a Lowrance and MApCreate, with an old Ifinder Pro, I like it. I'm going to get an XOG I think, I also looked at the Delorme as I really like their topo maps.