1. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mapsource Topo doesn't autoroute, in the unit or when building routes on the computer. City Nav would be the ticket if you want that capability. Roads and Rec can be had from someone that's already got it, tho it doesn't autoroute either.
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    You don't want to use auto route anyway, it only causes problems once your out on the trail.
  3. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Create tracks......
    Its a pain and not as easy as routes, yet they work just as good.
  4. leahyz

leahyz Gigantic Tool

Oddometer:
    But not all GPSs support tracks. The 2610s for instance do not.

If you make your route with enough via points, it will go the right place. Not much other choice on a 2610. Worked very well for me.
  5. wildman2154

wildman2154 n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought the TomTom One XL.S
    We are planning to do the TAT on the last week in May and first week in June.
    Next week I am buying the charts and maps from Sam.

I am using a mac G5 computer and want to set gps tracks or way-points.
    So far I don't know how to do this. I have plugged the TomTom into my computer. Been to the TomTom site. But really not doing anything like tracks or way-points.

I haven't heard about anyone using the TomTom on this ADVrider site.
    Should I get a 2610 off ebay for this trip?:jjen

Thanks in advance for your help.
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I haven't used the TomTom but from what I understand its pretty useless unless your just punching in address'. I don't think it will even load tracks.
  7. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    you should look into edgegps if you want a 2610 btw ......

I don't know if the 2610 is the right machine for the TAT, I got one but, that was before I knew what I was getting into. Everyone says use tracks, but the 2610 doesn't do tracks,

anyway, I went and entered all, and I mean all the waypoints for AR, MS, and TN, (which took forever!) then went into bobcat and put in more vias to make sure the (auto)routing would keep me on the desired path. I still have TN and AR to do in bobcat, and I hadn't yet loaded my routes into the 2610 to see if it actually will work.

Since I haven't actually done a trip with the 2610 in TAT style I can't really give a yes or a no about it, but I got one and am going to make it work.

On a recent car trip following the texas gulf coast via little roads I found the voice commands a very useful tool, and since I hardly ever look down at my gps on the bike I've decided to put a headphone into my helmet and use the voice commands to guide me, along with the maps of course. Since I'm going backwards on the TAT the roll charts are useless ....

So, I've ordered the audio cable and going to wire that into my gps setup .... should have that any day now ..... and a photo documentated report is to follow, as usual.

[​IMG]
  8. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    I've entered the whole TAT into Bobcat using waypoints but I will either us a PC to make tracks or use Bobcat (the next version should have a track tool) and convert my waypoints to tracks. The 60csx works great with tracks and I can clearly see where I am going.
  9. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Don't ask me how I know, but if you use a grand total of more than 25 waypoints and vias, the 60cs(x) gets it all wrong and won't auto route giving turn by turn directionnes.

I wound up breaking up the AR section in to AM and PM routes-each with less than a grand total of 24 waypoints and vias (to force the route).

Word of wisdom....Please don't discover this on a rainy Saturday morning when 3 other guys are depending on you and your GPS Computater for navigation at the first turn.

Dirty
  10. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys that are having trouble with the number of flags can easily solve this by "unflagging" your route. I easily put all the TAT routes into my Zumo 550 and then just unflagged them, works better than tracks in my opinion.
  11. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Who is it that you guys are sending your $28 too for the tracks? Does he provide a link for download or send you a CD, or just a listing of coordinates?

Thanks in advance.
  12. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  14. irishdec

irishdec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Did'nt think of it that way,that Sam would lose the money he deserves for making this map,,,I am going to buy his maps,,,,,but I did ask a fellow member recently,here on ADV, if he took any gps points when he did the route,,,,and for that I say 'sorry'to Sam,there was no deceit intended.
    :freaky

15. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Based on the recommendations here I went out to find a copy of "Roads & Rec" only to find it has been discontinued.
    1. Does anyone know where I can find a legal copy? (There are currently 2 on fleabay. Any other sources?)
    2. WTF was Garmin thinking in discontinuing this product?
    Thanks.

Edit: I found Roads & Rec locally so that problem is solved. Still can't understand why they discontinued it, though.
  16. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out a program called tyre http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

A friend of mine has a Tom Tom and is using it to do our TAT routing.

He produces GPX files, I pull those into MapSource, and recalculate the route.

I looked at using WinGDB to turn that route into a track but I haven't got that figured out yet. (If the route had 15 way points, WinGDB just draws straight track lines between those 15 points, not good).

But Tyre is really nice ... uses Google Maps ... I've used it for a few trips to do routes that I ended up putting on my Garmin.
  17. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    See my page in my signature on using Google Earth to layout tracks for your GPS. then you won't need Rec and Streets. :evil
  18. Duende

Duende Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you recalculate the route in MapSource you will get more then 15 routepoints. If you then convert that route with WinGDB option 5 or 6 you will get a perfect track.

Edward
    Originator of WinGDB3 ( http://www.sackman.nl )
  19. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Edward,

The page doesn't load for me. Perhaps you could walk us through the process?
  20. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer: