30th Birthday Cross Country Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by CarKid1989, Aug 22, 2019.

1. CarKid1989

CarKid1989 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190826_162751659_HDR.jpg IMG_20190826_170152627.jpg I wont get into too much deep thought here but seeing the Badlands, reading and learning about its history in the learning center and spending it together was my wife really made the experience so much richer.
    EZMoney, Samspade, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  2. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190826_181010186.jpg IMG_20190826_181342515.jpg We rode the park road out to Wall Drug. Years ago when I was in the area I was told to skip Wall Drug, that it was a waste or time and dumb. Jacie asked if I had ever actually visited it and seeing as I had not and she certainly had not, we should try it out and make our own thoughts about it.

It was more or less how I expected it to be. It was kinda touristy and had lots of souvenirs but in my opinion lacked meat on its bone. If you got rid of all the trinket shops there really was nothing there. BUTTT it was fun to walk around a bit and take some photos.
    EZMoney, Samspade, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  3. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    Reinvigorated, we set out to Rushmore KOA.
    Or so we thought.

We kicked the Goldwing up to 80mph and headed to our destination but there was a storm brewing a bit ahead of us and it started to whip up some nasty, strong and frankly dangerous wind. I lowered the speed down to 60 mph and shortly thereafter got hit by wind so strong it pushed us from the slow lane to a stop on the rumble strips in the fast lane. I turned on the hazards and even sitting still in neutral the wind was so strong several times it took everything I had to keep the bike up. I got a break in the wind and got the bike to the safety of the slow lane shoulder and briefly thought of what to do. The storm was blowing away from us to the east. I sat there for what seemed like forever but decided to keep at it the last 10 miles and hit the KOA in Rapid City which was far closer. We slowly hit the highway, winds subsiding a bit and went 45/50mph the last stretch to have a bite to eat at Arbys in Rapid City.

I will not lie, in allll my miles and years on a bike this was top three scariest. I couldn't overpower the wind. I could not lean far enough over to compensate. I could not predict the extra heavy gusts. Even standing still I could hardly manage things.

Never was I so relieved to get off the bike.

We were freezing cold (mostly Jacie, I warm up fast) and had a good meal letting that and time off the bike relax us and untense my white knuckles. I realized also that the Goldwings hazard switch was stuck on so Ill have to fix it in the morning.
    IMG_20190826_192228732.jpg
    We checked weather and found it was going to stay chilly all night and Jacie was shivering quite intensely. I caved and we got a room at the hotel across the street.
    EZMoney, Samspade, sealsam and 3 others like this.
  4. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190826_202436162.jpg We snagged a tallboy each and got in the hot tub to unwind. Today was a fun day and a terrible day. Fun sightseeing and TERRIBLE wind.

IMG_20190826_204721105~2.jpg

I am happy to be here safe and sound at the end of it all.
    EZMoney, Samspade, sealsam and 3 others like this.
  5. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    You're bringing up memories...I never did it your way, but a lot of that is areas I've rolled over. The first cycle road-trip I took was in 1986 - just a little younger than you are, now. Left the lady at home - which turned out to be a godsend, since bad luck had me with some road-rash.

Later, I'd gotten caught up in corporate reorganization, and wound up working for a temporary agency in my industry. Had me in Sioux Falls and Huron, SD...and I had a BMW R1200GS. So I had many a long weekend with which to explore the Badlands, and Sturgis, and Rushmore.

Camping. Don't get hung up on any ideas of being pure to a commitment to camp. Getting a motel when it rains is simply a smart use of money. You know your budget, but what's basic comfort and rest worth, to say nothing of not having to dry your gear out? Be flexible...and I salute the Mrs. for finding a better plan than camping in a garage.

BTW...like the Mrs.'s tee shirt. Cleveland Moto...I never shopped there; I got back into riding (twenty years away) after I left Ohio; but Cleveland Moto's not far from the neighborhood I grew up in. And I enjoy Phil Waters' podcast.
    staticPort likes this.
  6. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    Jacie is out for the night and I am turning in too. More updates soon!
  7. bigblockbarry

bigblockbarry Random Misfire

Oddometer:
    Well so far you both are still smiling. Good sign.
  8. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden my bikes through ND/SD, but have driven through there 3x-4x with the car. I remember the wind!!! When we got out to walk at a rest area, it was all we could do to stand up straight. And I would be holding the steering wheel at about the 2-o'clock position just to go straight ahead.

Glad you got through it safely.
  9. Radioaktiv

Radioaktiv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent report so far! You are hitting many of the places I did on my cross country trip in 2017. I took a few days off in Rapid City and hit all the National Parks around the area. SO much to see there! If you have time, the Minute Man Missile Silo National Monument is well worth the stop - if you can get the guided tour, even better!

Really enjoying this - its bringing back some great memories for me!

Safe travels!
  10. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying this report. Great to see young folk out touring the country together!
  11. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    928717C2-EC94-4FD8-86CA-D576AD72F30D.jpeg The only thing he gets excited about when we stay at hotels...food:D
    EZMoney and pnoman like this.
  12. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    Well, we had our first roadside repair.
    The hazard switch stuck last night and would not shut off. I took apart the switch plate and found a hex fastener that I didn't pack a tool for. I went to the lady at the hotel lobby and ask to talk to someone in maintenance because I needed a hex key. She fumbled around on the desk and pulled up a random hex key and said would this work?
    Sure enough it was the exact right size. What good luck.
    I was able to take apart the switch housing lube up the switch and put everything back together in short order.
    why won't there I talk to two guys headed to Alaska. One guy was on a Harley the other guy was on a brand new Honda Goldwing. Super nice guys from Pennsylvania and I enjoyed our short chat together.

We got on the road and headed up to Sturgis to walk around there as Jacie wanted to check it out.

Wind.again. lots of wind.:(
    Samspade and staticPort like this.
  13. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
  14. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    AC02668D-4B39-443E-97A8-975001DAE993.jpeg
    EZMoney, Samspade and sealsam like this.
  15. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    78E450C3-A031-44EF-A9EC-7070FADEF329.jpeg EA0D0348-7A13-4391-9289-CEEF6A871FE9.jpeg We stopped at a really nice coffee shop on the strip in Sturgis. Very tasty. Kevin got a mocha with 4 shots of espresso:imaposer and I got a white mocha. It was nice to get out of the wind for a minute.
  16. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool Report. Hope the winds die. I would love to do something like this. My wife will not get on a bike. Maybe I have to buy a wing.... at least its comfy.
  17. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    Left Sturgis and we are in " somewhere " Wyoming. Wind is still kickin but a bit better than yesterday I think. Stopped for gas signal-2019-08-27-142550.jpg and leg stretch. Found a new buddy
    EZMoney, Samspade and sealsam like this.
  18. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    I know that dinosaur - it's Sinclair! There was one of these stations near my house 60 years ago when I was a kid. I wonder if this is where the creators of the TV comedy "Dinosaurs" got the dad's name - Earl Sinclair.

sealsam likes this.
  19. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. Enjoying the adventure in real time with you. I hope to do one myself someday with my wife.

Quick question - what communication system did you get for the helmets? Are you happy with the sound quality?
  20. CarKid1989

Oddometer:
    I'll be honest. We just sat down for dinner in Cody at Zapata's right downtown.
    IMG_20190827_201323671.jpg

I am so relieved. Today took wind out of my sails. I was over it. From Sturgis on it was windy and boring for me and the scenery, although beautiful was not doing a darn thing for me. We put on miles and I counted down the minutes to Cody.
    EZMoney and pnoman like this.