321cc Yamaha or KLX-400 or ...?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Sid Post, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Sid Post

Sid Post Middle aged rider

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for post-COVID model rumors for the Japanese dual-sports.

I have had a ton of fun on KLX-250S but, it is getting tired and I want fuel injection! I want to keep the lightweight fun nature of what I have with a bit more power and the easy fueling on a cold morning as my 2007 model is a real @#$! to start on cold mornings and, yes I have played with jets and other things to nurse it to life in the colder months.

I'm having mixed feelings about the Royal Enfield Himalayan and the new 'under-powered' KLX-300 is just isn't appealing to me. The modern Yamaha WR-250R dual-sport is appealing but, I really want something with a bit more displacement that isn't high strung with higher routine maintenance requirements.

I did a demo on a Yamaha R-3 and everyone said it was underpowered and you really had to flog it. Well, to be honest, I didn't have any issue hitting 70MPH on an urban street so it has plenty of go! No, it's not a 4-stroke torque monster but, most of us don't need that for real-world commuting to softer off-road and dual-sport adventures.

The only option I am aware of that sort of fits this role is the KTM 390 Adventure but, I'm thinking a bit more dual-sport and less RTW with luggage! What model rumors am I missing in a small displacement, hopefully small-twin, dual-sport?

TIA,
    Sid
  2. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Sid, I don't say this as trying to be a smart aleck, but have you been reading the threads on this section of the forum? Things like the alleged cancellation of the WR250R by Yamaha...the introduction of the new KLX300S...the 300 Versys...etc., etc.
    jimroid likes this.
  3. Sid Post

Oddometer:
    Yes, I read the cancelation article on this site about the Yamaha WR-250R being canceled apparently due to impending emission changes in California and the states that follow them (~40% of the USA market) and the fact sales stopped in the EU in 2017 due to Euro4 to Euro5 changes.

The single-cylinder 292cc Kawasaki options compared to the newer Honda 300's as well.

The KTM 390 Adventure and Husky 401 twins are more attractive to me for my style of riding but, the Husky looks are a real turn off to me as a dual-sport replacement to my KLX-250S. The KTM 390 Adventure doesn't do much for me either.

I'm really hoping a new ~400cc twin enters the market from a Japanese brand. I tried to like the Tenere T-7 but, it is really more motorcycle than I want in terms of overall 'bulk' and definitely in terms of price. I'd be tempted by a Suzuki DR-650 but, they aren't fuel injected. The Honda XL-450L dual-sport is too high strung for me and a bit too dirt focused, similar to the KTM and Husky enduro options.

I'm hoping I have overlooked a new ~400cc twin dual-sport announcement. Something that isn't overly heavy but, not a super-light off-road racer either.

I really like my KLX-250S but, it is just too small and too light. It is a nice woods weapon and a 45MPH joy ride on a country road but, I need something more stable to run 70MPH on asphalt without being too heavy for mild off-road with reasonable range between fuel stops.

The comparison in terms of performance between my KLX-250S and the Yamaha R-3 was dramatic. Granted, a bit of an apples to peanuts comparison but, the powertrain was a lot more capable for urban asphalt rides.
  4. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Closest you will get now is CRF 300 Rally. It will have no issues at 70mph, you wont stop for fuel very often either, you will have great amount of wind protection (for a dual sport), and millions of upgrading and custom fit-for-purpose options..
  5. Sid Post

Oddometer:
    Yes, and I follow the Royal Enfield thread as well. Single-cylinder ~300cc mini-thumpers are a lot different from a small twin with an extra ~100cc.

If Kawasaki offered the Bill Blue thumper upgrade from the factory, I'd be seriously tempted as long the price was still reasonable.
  6. Sid Post

Oddometer:
    The 300 Rally from Thailand would be seriously tempting even though it is a single-cylinder thumper. With ~31hp and ~20ft/lbs, plus its larger fuel tank and better wind protection could be a real winner as long as it doesn't get priced out of the market or hampered by USA import regulations. The Japanese market 250 Rally wouldn't be very marketable here with everyone wanting a 300cc Kawasaki or slightly larger displacement Royal Enfield Himalayan.

Has the Honda 300 Rally been confirmed for the USA in 2021? If so, what is MSRP? So far, Google hasn't provided the answer to those questions, only lots of speculation.
  7. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the words of MIKA:

"Relax, take it easy
    For there is nothing that we can do" (except wait a bit, its winter anyway)