1. eNewsletter Sign Up

33 1/3 N C S + Cuba

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Throttlemeister, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Redburn

Redburn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb:thumb Great report John
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We motored into port a week ago today in the morning time and it was much later in the afternoon before we all got the stamps on our passports and checked into Panama. There where a bunch of antsy folks on board jonesing to get off the boat. I just sat back and relaxed and waiting for the time to come.

Once the passports came back everybody bolted for the dingy and was eager to leave. Took a couple load fulls to get everyone to shore and I ended up in one of the last groups Seems most had researched the hostels and had an idea of where they wanted to go. I was more than content to just follow along with a group splitting a taxi and getting somewhere to lay down for the night that was all I needed. The bikes where supposed to be ready and released from customs starting about 9am the following day if all went well. Again I wasn't on a schedule so I just winged it a little. A small group of 6 of us, most who I don't know, other than Tim and the Japanese guy who split a 3 place room ended up at Hostal San Roque: hostalssanroque@hotmail.com to contact. Kinda funny I was slept above the Japanese guy on a bunk bed just like I had done on the boat:lol3 There is a group of 3 places that kinda share the name I believe and owned by the same person, this one is off Calle del Guerrero at looks like this:

File photo since I didn't have a camera as of yet
    [​IMG]

The room we got was nice with airconditiong which was a big change after being on the boat for the last few days. I took off from the others that eveing to go find me an ATM and something nice to eat. I found an ATM but it wouldn't take my debit card so I got nailed by some cash advance/foreign transaction fees that sucked but at least got me some running money. I then found me a nice pizza place a few blocks from the hostel and sat down and tried to order a pepperoni pizza and some beers but come to find out its very difficult to find pepperoni here in Cartagena it seems. I settled for what they brought me which was fine and ended up meeting a nice Italian guy named Pepe that spoke some English and was a friend of Tony who was running the pizza place. I spoke with him about finding some motorcycle parts for my poor bike and we agreed to meet the following moring at 8:30am to go together and gather up some parts that I needed. I saw some of the other guys as I was eating and I headed back to the hostel for some internet research and shortly after went to bed worn out from the trip at sea. Slept great and woke up early next day feeling fine.

Dec 1
    I got going wanting to meet Pepe at the pizza place and get busy finding some parts for the bike. I went back down there and waited and looked around 15mins and no Pepe so since I didn't really speak much Spanish I decided to go have a look on the net and see what I could find. I looked for quite awhile seeing what I could find and not really having much luck. The rest of the crew checked out and headed for their bikes while I waited around and used the good highspeed connection.

About that time I saw a guy I thought could be Israeli, using the hostel's little net book computer. I was messing with Google Earth trying to pinpoint my location in relationship to everything else and asked him about the streets. Turns out it was excellent idea and I then met Stephen, my first new friend in Colombia. Stephen is from UK and not Israel even though that long hair threw me off, as soon as he spoke I knew I was wrong. Turns out he speaks damn good Spanish and really wasn't doing much that day and was planning to take a boat to the San Blas the next day to go meet someone special in Mexico over the holidays. I asked him if he'd want to run around a little and show me what he knew about the town and go a look for a camera with me. He was game and really saved my non-Spanish speaking ass. We had a hell of a fun time with a couple of crazy ass moments that still bring a smile to my face writing this now:rofl
    I thought it best to start with a camera since I hadn't had one for a few countries now. We took off from the hostel later that morning and started the wild goose search for a waterproof digital camera. He had a good idea of the layout of the city and knew a fair amount already. Just the day before he'd taken a girl to buy her a new camera as well so what luck we had to be one step ahead all ready. Come to find out many of the stores in the Old Town and Boca Grande have about the same stock and we searched about 6 of the little ones on this side of town before being told about the Caribbean Plaza over on the other side by a nice lady at a Boca Grande camera shop. But before I go any farther with the story the first of the two great funny momments should be recorded. Earlier that morning as I questioned Stephen about what he did with his passport he mentioned he locks it in the hotel safe so I followed suit and locked mine away as well. But what I didn't do was have some kind of copy on my person for papers that according to Stephen, while sitting in the cab as we went through our first military check point, would invloved a trip to jail as they sorted out who the hell you really where:eek1 As we pulled into the checkpoint I told Stephen I didn't have any ID on me as my passport was safely locked away in the hotel safe and that I didn't know you had to carry a copy on your person. I think Stephen sweated it a little and his pulse quickened as the police asked the driver for his papers just knowing that we where next in line for inspection. I know I puckered up a little more but tried not to show it as the cop looked in the back at us both sitting in the back looking me looking as gringoey as I could. As he took the drivers papers and inspected them we both anxiously awaited what we both thought would come next. Thankfully nothing more was wanted and we where sent on our way into Boca Grande to yet another camera store looking for that hard to find waterproof version of something to withstand the tourture I give cameras.

We got another taxi over to the Caribbean Plaza which is the mother of all shopping centers in Cartagena, just like Woodland Hills Mall back home. They had a couple of super electronic/home stores the likes of Best Buy and such and there was the holy grail for waterproof cameras in town. The next crazy moment in the days ventures played out shortly after entering the super mall. As I was walking following Stephen a lady comes up and grabs my arm speaking loudly, Oh Senor, Senor!! and I look down to see a trail of 50M mils streaming out of my leg, SOB:eek1:eek1The nearby securuty guard watches all this craziness as I hurry around picking up the high dollar bills scattered in a trail behind me. Awkward moment in the mall!! Everyone was fine but now I just had a big $ sign pinned on my favorite riding shirt by everyone in the immediate area knowing about the goofy gringo loose in the mall with wads of cash.
    There where two major stores and the second one we went to called the PanAmericana had the Olympus waterproof version that I'd seen in the states and a new to me Samung version that was good to a couple meters underwater and came with a 2g SD card. I couldn't hardly stomach the price but almost bit before Stephen got me pointed in the right direction and I ended up going for the cheaper Samsung in Blue.
    My first picture with my new camera courtesy of my new good friend Stephen:
    [​IMG]
    The pretty camera girl just had to be included just incase I broke it with the first shot:lol3 I was once again happier but the next oh shit moment was just getting ready to hit the fan. This one invloves passports again.

Seems that if you are buying some big ticket item in the PanAmericana store you get to the front of the line or just simply tossed into line as the store help wants you. Almost unknowingly they put me in line ahead of a Police officer/military guy and as I attempt to pay with my VISA my passport was requested in front of the very person who I didn't want to know I didn't have papers on me. I quickly decided to pay in some of the loads of pesos I was hauling around in my shorts and finished out the transaction with little problem unloading some of my stash.
    Goal #1 was in the bag, just needed to get back to the hostel and get my passport or a copy for myself but before I wanted to go check out the location of a Western Union to see how a dollar transfer would work that was near Club Natico down by where the boat was anchored. We got a taxi over to the nice grocery store in the Manga district near the yacht club and decided to walk on back to the hostel since is was close. Took some more pictures with the new camera on the way back crossing the bridge to the Old City. My new good friend Stephen that helped me out so much:
    [​IMG]

And the author:
    [​IMG]

We stopped on the way home for a cheap six-pack to get ready for dinner later on.
    I'd gotten a new camera and loaded up on a whole bunch of Colombia pesos without too much trouble and no trips to jail so all was good. Some of the days haul:
    [​IMG]
    We went successfully back to the Old City area to the hotel and regroup for a good dinner with soup included. Before we took off for dinner we played around with the new camera and got some good pictures with the hostel keeper:[​IMG]

She is a nice lady that seemed to take a liking to me, I always tried to have a big smile on my face for her and I think it helped:
    [​IMG]

I met Alfred an English teacher and ended up buying his book so I could do some learning when my computer was not avaliable for use:
    [​IMG]

Went for a nice dinner with Stephen to celebrate a successful day getting things done and for his departure tomorrow to the San Blas Islands of Panama. We had a nice meal that didn't cost so much and come with a lot of food soup included:
    [​IMG]

What I had was nice following my soup:
    [​IMG]

Dec 2

That following morning I did a damage assesment to see how I was coming along with my foot and my new sandal wounds:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doing well:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately Stephen was loading up to catch his boat to the San Blas islands
    [​IMG]

and today it was arraged somewhat by the hotel keeper, from the pictures above, and her son John Pierre(actually spelled different but this is what I perfer to type) who spoke good English that I could spend time with him running around the city to get some motorcycle supplies since I had arranged to go ahead and leave my bike on the ship for a while longer. I was a little suspect of this guy at the start with his long hair and his young age of 17 especially after running around with Stephen the other day and having such a good time but I'm at the mercy of a foreign tongue in a foreign land so such is adventure that I know too well.

One of the very first things I learned about John Pierre is that he likes playing the guitar and he doesn't play strumming the chords but perfers to pick the chords and I was very impressed by his playing of Beethoven's Moonlight:earI wasn't really aware of the playing of classical music on acoustic guitars and now I really like it. I look forward to the day when he can play all 9/10+/- mins of the amazing song. Here he is doing a little playing on the ship's guitar while I worked on pulling the muffler off the second time on this trip:
    [​IMG]

This is what needed fixing up: The muffler core support had pulled loose from the cannister itself and the end cap for the cannister and the diffuser discs needed some attention. I knew this was going to be a little trouble because inch threads vs metric. The last thing was to get the right size rear tubes and another new front spare.
    My bike all alone on the boat now feeling a little left out:
    [​IMG]

The skeleton crew was all that was left on the ship now, they unloaded 18 bikes the day before from the boat at anchor and ferried each in the dingy to the dock, I don't even know how they got them out of the dingy other than strong arming them all. They looked a little beat,Ludwig, Rollie, and Josh:
    [​IMG]

First stop we ended back at the Caribbean Plaza, and I snapped a photo where the most waterproof camera are found at in Cartagena, Colombia while I munched on some McDonalds from across the way. Its amazing how they can keep the french fries practically tasting identical to what I get in the states, I can tell a difference in the ketcup thou:deal
    The PanAmericana with a Spanish song that shares the same name stuck in my head:
    [​IMG]

After that stop we walked just a few blocks over to motorcycle row where there where a couple of good moto parts stores lined up. We went to the one closest to the Texaco station and had great luck finding the front and rear tubes and even found a nice new rear dual sport tire for about $90 in my size. I bought that stuff and left it there to come back by in a taxi and haul it back to the boat. The muffller was a little bit tricker because I didn't have a long enough time and JP didn't really understand enough about welding stainless steel materials. I went to one truck repair & fabrication shop and they tried to braze it with a torch with no luck. While there they did have a spiffy stainless steel clamp that one of the little guys brought over that would work nice had it been a little smaller, what I would call a solid bolt clamp that a person could slide around the muffler cannister and then drill a small correct size hole to hold the core in place while the clamp would cover the busted out piece of the cannister without having to do any TIG welding. I just needed to source some new bolts and then retap the threads for the metric bits I would replace all the mess with.

The only bit I got screwed over on is getting charged about $4 to drill a hole through the solid band clamp which was total BS, orginally I'd planned to let this guy tap out all the holes but he didn't even have the 5mm tap needed. We needed that new tap and hit the jackpot of all parts stores in Cartagena when we found a Grainger's Industrial Supply store, talk about a lucky find and who'd a thought, we should have stopped here to begin with when looking for all the new bolts that we sourced from another smaller supply house just a little earlier.

Having all are parts gathered up we got a taxi and got all the parts from the motorcycle shop and headed back to the boat to do some repair work on the muffler. Rollie was working on the newer generator panel doing some electical work and I powered the electric drill to retap the captive nuts of the core to 5mm down in the engine room:
    [​IMG]

Rollie getting after it on the panel work, he was even impressed with the amount of tools I traveled with:
    [​IMG]

JP was screwing around and wanted some documentation of it all, he climbed the mast in my shoes:
    [​IMG]

He decided to stay out of the crow's nest too, that last section is tricky:
    [​IMG]

I got a little dirty messing with all the exhaust stuff but got it all put back together and in good shape for at least a little while:
    [​IMG]

JP modeled off the newly fixed exhaust showing that HD bolt clamp that I'm thinking will do the trip if I can keep that bolt in the core captive nut:deal
    [​IMG]

We left the bike in much better shape than we found it. Looking back at the SR, with the Miami of the South as backdrop as we heading to shore to find some dinner and beer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found some of JP's favorite chicken and rice from the Golden Dragon and some of Colombia's finest:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was going to try and do the hair cut and shave that night but come to find out Emilio might have been a little busy:slurp he came by later and scheduled for tomorrow in the late moring which was fine by me since we'd gotten most of the big stuff done today:clap

The next couple of days would be some nice relaxing and screwing off in the big city.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump forward to today.

Told you I got dirty today, the uploads might get put on hold for a while, I'm going back to sea tomorrow with the bike and don't know when I get the net again but its going to make for an interesting ride over the next bit:

Me and JP pulled an Arnold like in Predator:
    [​IMG]

Had a little fun too playing in the mud:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a fun time and a good experience, the girl was nice too:raabia
    [​IMG]

What a fun tour getting dirty!

Adios

3. nightflyer

nightflyer Hors contrĂ´le

Oddometer:
    John ,

after reading the last updates, I can officially say that I hate you! It made me realize how empty m life is, and I will probably jump off a cliff fairly soon!

Usual great stories TM: you are The Man, and I hope (judging by the last pic!) that you were able to make some better use of those rubbers:deal
  4. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    AOL :rofl
  5. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey John! Your such a nut! :nod It is always fun to read your RR. The old Man told me a little about your up coming trip. Sounds awesome! Sucks about the exhaust on the bike. Maybe you got it repaired for a bit now. Shit give you a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and a welder and you can fix or make anything! Hell you will be rebuilding the SteelRaht!:lol3 Have a hell of a time, take lots of pics and cant wait to hear the stories that go with them!!:earHasta la vista Juanito!:wave
  6. paulotex

paulotex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Isn't that an F on the top left corner? If it is, then that's a french plate.

(Great RR, BTW)
  7. MiddleAgedMissile

MiddleAgedMissile Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you are safe......I just can't bring myself to say sound.:lol3

Damn.....I shoulda' went with you ! Keep the story coming and let me know if you need a shipment.

BTW...Sam got second at the Catalina Grand Prix in the 125 "A" race.
  8. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Man importing a bike into Jamaica is a bitch, just saying:deal

More coming up, its a wild good time!
  9. redone

redone That Guy

Oddometer:
    Keep it up man, just don't bring back something Ajax won't get off:D
  10. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:

Nice problem to have, especially when you dont really have to import it if you dont want to. :evil

Enjoy Jamaica dude, because I am freezing my ass off in Tierra del Fuego.
  11. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dude and don't go jumping off any cliffs, just a short while before you get to ride again I'm hoping, I get some of my inspiration from guys like you.

I had to give the launcha crew a sex ed lesson on many uses of rubbers, and don't worry I do know the best use:lol3

Thanks for the idea Ben, it was a fun and dirty good time, I needed to do some good screwing around with all the work I'd been doing:thumb

I just can't see how this trip keeps impressing me more and more each day, I think I might just explode from too much of a good time!
    I working on getting the captain to take me on as cheif engineer and let me rework that damn engine room, it needs some good modifications:deal

Been a long time since that picture but it dosen't seem so.
    Welcome to the club man! Glad your liking it.

Awesome for Sam:clap:clap:clapWould have loved to been there with some of my favorite people. I will keep you posted on the shipments, going to be after Feb from what its looking like now, I bought a sweet tire in Cartagena for cheap money.
    I don't know how you would have liked some of this crazy shit but I do know you will have a grand time when you go, maybe I come back with you and show you something...

I've got some new scars so far but nothing else seems to be sticking to me:lol3

I've become quite the problem solver and doing well at staying warm, I'm almost ready to go ride in some moutains: just not quite yet, at least where I'm going I'm able to easily drink and ride with minimal gear:lol3
    [​IMG]

More pictures and stories coming up from my nice hot spot over the next few days while I'm holed up at Port Antonio, Jamaica Man!

:jkam
  12. SmilinJoe

Oddometer:
    You crazy Sum bitch!:D You never cease to amaze John! You spent almost 2 years planning for TDF and your in Jamaica!:clap What an adventure! Cant wait to read more. Mary asked me to tell you hello! The captain would have a damn good Chief Engineer if he let you do that!:nod Great deal too! He could pay you in beers!!!:slurpKeep the RR and the pics coming!
  13. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    blow

Well you know, they where little loose plans afterall, as the wind blows they say. Yeah you tell Mary, whenever someone asks what the girls look like back home I show them a nice picture of her, lots of people end up wanting to come to Oklahoma:wink: Miss hanging out with you guys and I'll have a boatload of crazy stories to share. I'm topping the list on the boat's beer chart with my main drinking pal Josh from Luxembourg. Last night we celebrated with the good stuff after arriving in Port Antonio, one of the girls screwed it adding some coke to her's, this stuff made for straight drinking:
    [​IMG]
  14. SmilinJoe

Oddometer:
    Thats some funny shit John!!! They are probably like WTF im moving to Oklahoma! :lol3 Why do all the pictures look like you pissed your pants? Whats up you have an issue???:rofl:rofl:rofl
  15. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    :huhI don't know on the pants deal, its a little tricky pissing at sea when its rough. Maybe its the length those last few drops have to travel, I've been told I have a rather long uretha on some days:rofl

I wear the same cloths everyday and I pick up new stain about the same rate it seems.
  16. lifecycles

lifecycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey dude! it was great meeting you too, though the trip was over much too soon for me.

I love this picture of you the most
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Stahlratte 3</td></tr></tbody></table>

it seems to sum up everything nicely

stay safe
  17. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Yeah I signed up for some more boat time, going to hit some islands and see what happens next. I like cheap beer and rum that I don't get so much riding the bike all the time. Being on the SteelRat is like super luxurious compared to what I'm used to on the road and then there is all that beer:1drink That beer above was the best of the whole trip so far... it was a nice relief to find the SteelRat that day and nice to meet some more ADVers.

Enjoy your journeys, looking forward to seeing some of those HD videos from that huge freaking camera you're carrying around:deal
  18. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    **Of interesting note the third night I stayed in Cartagena JP and I where walking down the street to his place and saw a comotion on the street two blocks from the hostel and saw blood all over the street with a crowd gathered around a man sitting bleeding on the sidewalk holding his neck covered in blood. JP was pretty interested in the scene and I just wanted to move on. JP said no ambulance would be coming and as we walked away from the bloody mess sure enought a police van came up and threw him in the back and took off. The following day JP heard the man died outside of the Old City area and that he'd been stabbed in the neck with a broken bottle by some woman he was having a dispute with. Seemed to involve an altercation between the victim, the girl, and the girl's boyfriend or something.
    Wild times in the city at any time, best to take care and watch yourself:deal

Now back to regular programing...

Dec03

Was scheduled to get the haircut today, see previous post for that one. I messed around on the internet that morning waiting for Emilio to get around and ready. I got a great cut and shave, one neat experience to get cleaned up like that, I felt a little extra sexy now with my new trim job. From this mess:
    [​IMG]

To this new look:
    [​IMG]

Since getting a lot of the major running around done over the last few days I only wanted to try and find some more muffler packing but it seemed after searching around near the Caribbean Plaza side of town that stuff is hard to find and no one really seems to care how loud you want to be anyhow.

We got some good corner store empandas and some other finger foods I don't know much about but seemed to work well enough for me, that got lots of sauces that are fun to try, I put them on foods that John Pierre says they don't really go with and then they actually work out well:dg
    [​IMG]

My left big toe was jacked up from digging out a steel splinter that I picked up in the SteelRat's engine room the other day and with the flooded city with the rains that came the day before I'd picked up a small infection in the wound. JP and I went to the pharmacy to do a little doctor play and ended up with some cheap generic cipro and some iodine to do a little treating. Dosen't look like much but its a sensitive SOB and makes me walk even more contorted.
    [​IMG]
    We did a little walking around the place and he told me about the good last Sunday of the month deals for seeing some of the high dollar tourists areas like the castle:

[​IMG]

The amount of fortifications in this old city is staggering and to think of the labour involved to build all this stone work is impressive what men can do with hard work, I'm thinking slave labour was a big part of it:deal

They got some really cool entertainers working the stop lights in town, these two on unicycles juggling knives for tips, I pitched in some change I was so impressed:
    [​IMG]

Had some good beers and ate some nice pizza at an Italian place just down from the hostel I was staying at:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

During my stay in the Hostel San Roque I stayed in the nicest private roomwith A/C for 3 on the upper bunk here for 1 night:
    [​IMG]

The next two nights in this comfortable dorm room with fans, one with Stephen there and the other by myself here in the bottom bed:
    [​IMG]

And then moving into this private room with fan for 3 nights when the traveling band came to town and rented out the entire place except my bed here:[​IMG]

Then for the last two nights in town I moved to a cheaper solution at JP's mom's place and slept in his brother's bed here:
    [​IMG]

Covers all the beds I slept in while in town.

Walked by the old burned up Shakespearian like theater, you could tell it would have been an awesome place to take in a show.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We skirted the city's walls and walked lots of beach over to Boca Grande:
    [​IMG]

JP was a helpful friend, reminded me of having a little trunk monkey at my disposal:lol3 he and Stephen made my stay in Cartagena a lot more enjoyable:clap:clap:clap
    JP giving the evil eye:
    [​IMG]

We checked out some of the fine tourist/native women of Cartagena as we went, but didn't take too many pictures:wink::[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sampled some more of some of Colombia's finest:
    [​IMG]

Got the real story behind the preist and the slave:eek1
    [​IMG]

Watched the birds in the square a little:
    [​IMG]
    Took in a happy hour at the Hard Rock just because, JP said they had a nice bathroom, the 2 for 1 whiskey sours didn't hurt either.
    [​IMG]

Took in some more scenery from the top floor watching the activity go by:
    [​IMG]

Took this one for my friend AB back in Pryor, I still remember that Cinderella concert at the Cains Ballroom so long ago, wild times:lol3 Never did figure out who's blood that was:freaky
    [​IMG]

Walked through the park late at night checking out all the cool lights they had on display for the holiday season:
    [​IMG]

Dec05

Next day had some more screwing around to do, finished up looking for parts for the bike and looked around the city some more and heading along the beach over the ritzy Boca Grande area of town:
    [​IMG]

I got fried today a little:
    [​IMG]

JP looked a little pissed about this one for some reason, it was just some bamboo or something like:lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw some strange variety of deer like creature trimming the lawn of some high powered place in BC:
    [​IMG]

Nice boat name huh:
    [​IMG]

The SteelRat swinging at the hook way over across in the bay, I really like that damn boat:
    [​IMG]

Hardly feels like Chirstmas down here from the feel of the weather, but the decorations try to convince me:
    [​IMG]

While looking for a something to eat in BC a nice fellow named Carlos walks up and asks in perfect English what I'm looking for and he takes us to a nice little pastry shop for a little sample of something good and asked if I wanted a job teaching English and gave me some contact information and I thanked him for his help and he sent us on our way looking for some good hamburger joint across the road from McDonalds that's supposed to be better. I had a big burger and fries that wasn't too bad while JP had a footlong hotdog:
    [​IMG]
    Little bit of American like style, JP and I still think McD's fries are better.

We came back to the hostel that night and I was like damn when this little hottie was sitting there are pretty like:
    [​IMG]

I just had to get a picture with, I was shocked when I found out she was only 17:eek1
    [​IMG]

At somepoint the traveling band that came to town and took over all the hostel except for my room had a birthday party for one of their young members and I was unknowingly invited to join in on the party. It was this girl's 12th Birthday Party, she was all smiles:
    [​IMG]

Lots of good music and nice treats at the party:
    [​IMG]

That little 10 yr old could darn sure play that thing good:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then they made the mistake and asked me to dance along with the music, I was like the fish out of water, these guys do it all:
    [​IMG]

These are good people, the woman on the far left of the picture is JP's mother, the other two are with the group:
    [​IMG]

More of Colombia to follow...

Posted from cold Port Antonio, Jamaica

19. SmilinJoe

Oddometer:
    Hey John. Hell of an adventure. Looks like you had a great time Cartagena! You been ridin the bike in Jamaica? Hope it is warm there. Colder than crap here!:vardy Keep the RR coming mon!:type Stay safe and out of trouble!:stoned
  20. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Dec06

Its kinda of sad when my computer has picked up more stickers than my bike:cry but that will change at some point I'm sure:
    [​IMG]

This morning afte the fun hostel party last night with the traveling band people I got up and moved into JP's place a couple of blocks away where I'd stay for the next two nights real cheap, in retrospect I should have moved there much earlier but it was nice to have my own space for a few days after coming off the boat.
    My time was drawing near in Cartagena and I really wanted to get JP a little something nice for all the help and translation skill he'd been. Since he always plays the guitar so much we went looking for a new set of strings for his older electric that he liked so much but hadn't been able to use since said strings where missing. We got a quick snack in the park and watched the monkeys goofing around:
    [​IMG]

Saw some nice chicken on spinning rack:
    [​IMG]

Split a little take out at his mom's place, notice the juice in a bag. There is almost no consistency in the taste from one bag to the next kind of like mystery juice in a bag:
    [​IMG]

Nice feel of Chirstmas time in the home:
    [​IMG]

Later that evening we went out to the RAT to check on the next bit of tour and turn in my passport for clearance. It was a little dark when we got to the pier and waited with some nice scenery:
    [​IMG]

Spent some nice time on the boat and then headed back to the hostel for some more internet. When we got to the hostel a good looking girl had just come in from Bogota and we started talking some. Susie had come over from England for 3 months to teach Ulitmate Frisbee and hula hoopping to the Colombia kids through an outreach type program. Here's super Suzie Q, very nice girl with a great a outlook. Poor girl just pick up a low grade infection from a nose stud she'd recently got, still looked fine to me:wink::
    [​IMG]

We gathered up a few cold beers and since she was going to be staying for so long, we arranged to show her a room in JP's mom's place so she could have a cheap place to stay for her extended stay in Cartagena. I think she was happy to find a place so quick. We talked some more until near midnight when she was exhausted and had to retire for her first big day with the program tomorrow.
    Since I'd be leaving the first part of next week and Dr. Benny on ADV gave the fine idea of a mud bath we arranged that night to catch a bus to the mud volocano the following moring leaving about 8am. Off to a restful night.

Dec07

Woke up early and gathered up some tasty bits of street food for breakfast before we loaded up on the bus.
    [​IMG]

We where the fisrt to load up and met by this fine young lady from Barranquilla who's name escapes me for some reason:
    [​IMG]

We started in a little bus and it was soon realized that we would need a bigger bus. Little stopover while we waited on the next one. I just couldn't get enough of our cool guide, had she only spoken better English I would have had to ditch Jp:lol3 J/k man:
    [​IMG]

We had to make quite a few stops picking up others that where going along. At one of the places we where near a little store and we went in to get some beers and snacks for the ride out to the mud hole:
    [​IMG]
    Watch was still on OK time, so it wasn't so bad. JP had to really take a leak at the first toll booth we came to, I laughed hard telling the Spaniard infront of use that he could hold the beer long. He caught back up with the bus after the toll and away we went for the short drive out.

This place was really a gong show of extra fees by all the people working there, fees for rubbing you down with mud, fees for washing you when you don't even ask, higher fees for beer and snacks from one booth to the next, that was the worst part and the mud was the best part.

Some previously posted but here's some more. Going up:
    [​IMG]

Some yet to get dirty boobs:
    [​IMG]
    Jp said that would be his next job in Colombia rubbing down all the hotties with mud:rofl

He did something on my back with mud:
    [​IMG]

The rabbit strikes:
    [​IMG]

We ended up try to go under the mud by grabbing onto each other's ankle and pushing down as far as we could go, I was a little more bouyant than Jp, that little sucker when way down and floated back up. He somehow lost his hair thingy and amazingly after a few minutes was able to fine the little girly piece. Never have I been so covered in mud, my ears where filled along with everything else. Getting the mud out of your eyes after going under was a bit tricky as well requiring lots of rapid blinking of the lids.
    More of the fun:
    [​IMG]

Right before going down to the lake for a good cleaning, everybody gets naked under the brown water:lol3
    [​IMG]

After giving out some of the desried tips we loaded up on the bus and heading to a private beach area for more swimming if you liked and a nice lunch, I had fish:

[​IMG]
    Building of Cartagena in the distance.

[​IMG]

Lunchtime, I'm a fish eating fool, while JP sticks with the pollo:
    [​IMG]

I asked the bus driver about the sticker thing and he gave me a rag to clear off a good spot on the windshield:
    [​IMG]

Got everybody dropped off except us the hottie and the driver and then we cranked the music up and started having fun with the pictures. Can you spot the sticker here?
    [​IMG]

She was a real nice hottie, only if I had more time and better lingistic skills:wink:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jp even got in on some fun:
    [​IMG]

We got back to the hotel and the day before I'd planned to have dinner with Susie after her first full day in Cartagena at the outreach youth program she was working at. She'd said she was a vegeterian so I got JP to tell me where one of those places to eat would be, turns out the place only served lunch and no dinner.

Earlier that evening walking around town saw a guy that reminding me of me sleeping in the pedestrian bridge in Panama, I didn't take my shoe off for a pillow but it seems like a good idea when you have nothing else:lol3
    [​IMG]

Saw some of the fat girls too:
    [​IMG]

Was checking into the job prospect in Colombo area of Old City and saw this nice section, big doors and nice balcony:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That eveing we met up with a German/Colombian married couple visiting Cartagena and Susie and myself walked to said closed veggie place and then walked back to a place nearer hostel and had a little dinner, my was quite nice with beef and soup with some fried plantains and rice.

On our walk down to the closed place saw some nice lights:

[​IMG]

Susie looking beautiful under the lights:
    [​IMG]

Ended up at a little nice but non-veggie place that worked fine for me with some vaca:
    [​IMG]

Got some drinks and went back to the hostel to BS and was going to take them all out to the SteelRat but the crew was having a party for Rollie and his exit after two years on the boat so it was a little too busy to arrange a trip out there. Instead I learned how I forgot how to hula hoop while Suzie showed how in perfect form sans lighted wicks since we where indoors and all:
    [​IMG]
    She's just too smooth and makes it look simple, I think she does some kind of competive hula hoopping and she is tricky and looks nice doing it btw:wink:

Went back to my spot and got ready for an early departure the next morning. Had to gather up all my moneies from the safe at the hostel and load what gear I had and head for the boat to meet the next crew who was heading Northward. I'd met Johan already as he was renting the room at JP's mom's place that Susie would be moving into once the boat took off. The rest of the crew would be new to me beside's Captain's gf I'd met earlier and an Argenitian national I'd breifly meet on the dingy ride back from the boat earlier. One other crew from San Blas Josh would be going along for this trip too.

Tomorrow Dec08 we would be leaving for islands to the North in the mighty SteelRat...

coming at you from unreasonably cold Port Antonio, Jamaica, infact coldest day of the year for them I heard:eek1
    Sailing a little further North later today...riding is coming:clap:clap:clapand I am ready!