33 1/3 N C S + Cuba

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Throttlemeister, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot out of order but so it is; So a lot has happened since my breaking the leg down in Venezeula back in July 2012:deal

+ I finally moved out of my old man's house after 36 years, the key to easy travel:rofl

+ I got the metal removed a little over a year ago which had never felt great and then a wonderful feeling of immediate relief and now feel at least 95% recovered from the mess more than a year since having it removed.

+ Got married back on 12/13/14 to the greatest woman in the world, my #1:raabia

+ Been working on house remodeling projects for the new nursery and staying busy with Sleep Clinic work and cattle along with anything else that comes my way.

I've keep in touch regularly with Silviu "SS in VNZL" on here who has graciously stored my first wife at his home in Caracas for the last few years. Since the birth of my first child is coming up soon he and I thought it best for me to try and return to finally get the moto back home where it belongs, it is priceless to me and has been a big love of my life for years taking me to see wonderful places and allowing me to meet too many to even remember wonderful people on our journeys. Needless to say I needed to get the bike back to her home.

Together we tried to hatch a plan to meet up in Bogota at a convenient time for us both but as difficult schedules go I was not able to get away from the busy schedule here at home so easy, had I only known:cry My trip down was going to be a quick affair, fly from Tulsa, OK to Houston in the evening and take a red-eye flight into Bogota arriving around 6am and then connect to another flight to Cucuta, Colombia on the border where I would cross.

Some may ask why don't you fly direct to Caracas? The reason being (besides a huge surge in ticket prices into/out of Venezuela), even though I have a totally legitimate reason why I left the bike in country after breaking my leg, it has been in the country years past its temporary import papers + my original extension I had to get and with the known slow bureaucracy and troubles the country is currently facing I believed it would be best to show that I crossed into VZ on an overland border crossing stamp in my passport and didn't get a stamp saying I'd entered at Caracas by air and *presumably* shippped in my motorbike at the same time only to exit to Colombia in a few days time.

So the idea being that the Colombia/Venezuela border being a free crossing for roughly 20km either side you could enter into Colombia and *presumably* stay with you bike without importation papers and say if I happened to be stopped that I'd just shacked up with some girl or other excuse to lower the suspicion of an overstayed bike papers. The big fake I had to make with my expired papers was to photoshop in the new date to match my crossing date so when outside that 20km free zone I'd have something to show if asked and would be BSing my way hopefully out of the rest. It has been my experience that I've never had to show bike papers, only passport information so at least I had that going for me but the likelyhood to have the bike taken was real:eek1

Since I was unable to meet up with Silviu in Bogota I arranged to leave later and travel on March 4th having gotten a good deal on a business class ticket for one of my last hurrahs down South which I thought was necessary:wink:1drink

And Then, And Then I get a most unexpected email from my Canadian friend Len, of Earth, Wind, and Tires who I meet down at Cucuta a few years ago of all places.:lol3 The email mentioned the just released speech Feb. 28 by President Maduro of Venezuela requiring tourist visas for all the "Damn Yankees" coming into Venezuela. I was pissed hearing this just days before I traveled and so it all began...to Colombia once more:clap
  3. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yeah! Congrats on all your lifes recent pleasantries sir throttlemeister, glad to hear things are going well in your world! Your reports were always among my favorites, glad to hear you are going back south after your first love...:norton
    keep us in the loop with lots of pics huh?
  4. farleywilbur

farleywilbur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My favourite trip report ever continuing?? :freaky

Congrats on your wedding and getting that metal out of your leg. I have some in my arm that isn't bugging me too much, yet.

Looking forward to hearing about bringing your bike home. :clap
  5. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a good trip TM
  6. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    What's going on? You got Married and didn't tell anyone. Damn guy, no more condos on the beach for you and the Mrs. I didn't get invited.

All kidding aside, congratulations I do wish you both many miles of eventful adventures together.

So, what's little Throttlemeister's name going to be. Full Throttle, WAO Throttle, Throttlemeister has been Throttled. New sayings for the kid, if it's a little boy "Iv'e got my own throttle" and if a little girl "Watch me Throttle Daddy". Your in trouble no matter what.

Also remember some people have a toddler, your will always be remembered as having a Throttler. Hell I got to quit this, it's getting stupid now.

I happy for ya!
  7. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Way off the beaten track in the lovely Colombian mountains, spent the last night in Genova down South from Armenia. Hellulva good time, got to get to Bogota for an embassy visit soon.
  8. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Congrats on your new life and loves.
  9. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats man! Can't wait for another update! Can't believe it has already been that long since this rr started.

Later
    John
  10. John2

John2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahh Throttlemeister, back in Colombia and married? Really? Many chicas might be sad. Good to know you are back in Motorcycle heaven.

As a side note, do to your writing, I visited Colombia 3x in 2014, 2x used a moto supplied from Mike in Cali.

Your writing was spot on.
  11. -Chris-

-Chris- Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally (in my best Paul Harvey voice) The rest of the story. :D
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? You've made it back down there again? I never would have guessed when you popped up on Noah's thread...
  13. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    It was a real bummer had I not left just a few days earlier I would have been in like Flynn:cry I was planning on staying until Sunday night in Colombia if I could have changed my ticket without much trouble but after arriving at the airport the afternoon before my red-eye flight Thursday morning at 12:15am I didn't find anyone working and was not willing to bet my seat up front on the VZ embassy in Bogota granting me a visa in a reasonable time period so I hastily made arrangements with Carlos, Motolombia's man in Bogota to return the little Tenere and get the hell out of there sooner than later. Was a defeat by mere 48hrs but worth the shot since I had the ticket to fly and salvaged somewhat by having a nice little Colombian ride on a little Tenere for a long weekend:ricky All there was left to do was get drunk on a plane, 312 beer is not so bad:1drink Could have been worse...

Maybe have to do a little report in day tripping "No Hay VISA for Damn Yankee"
  14. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob:freaky

:lol3 I swear it's going to take off one of these days, works damn good:deal I was going to stop in a visit you this past November when the wife and I came out to the coast but ran out of time. Next time..

Thank for the kind words amigos, makes me want to get back at putting all this down in words and photos, wonderful memories of time down South. Will try to work at it some more.

Done:freaky Can't ever go wrong with COLOMBIA:clap:clap:clap

Hola Jeff

I ended up eloping more less:lol3 Just had to get it legal, I was already married when I saw you last in Orange Beach, thanks for the good times amigo:clap

Haha the name thing has got the wife a little more than pissed, but I'd already made the deal a long time ago. I'll let you know how it turns out. BTW where is the green isle report:deal

Thanks Murph, hope all is well on your end up on the Big Island amigo.

More later, I'm uploading some pictures but I got to go back here, one of my favorite rides in all Colombia:
    [​IMG]
  15. BeachGuy

Oddometer:
  16. VortexRotor

VortexRotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Thread! :thumb

:lurk
  17. backoutonthehighway

backoutonthehighway ATGMOTT/MOTGATT

Oddometer:
    Congratulations all around! Looking forward to the rest of the story.
  18. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    So happy all the picture links still work after the big change over, I was dreading all the link updating, damn glad I don't post in html :deal
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Johnny...did you name the kid "Braaaaaap!"? Now I need to track down Wheatwacker to see what this "easy" Europe is all about.

Raising a beer to you buddy.
  20. BeachGuy

Oddometer:
    skibum69
    If you contact Wheatwacker to ride Europe be prepared. He will make it too damn easy.
    Ask him what bikes that are in his barn that might be for sale. He knows them all and once he knows what kind of riding you are going to do take his advice. Go here to view bikes and prices in Ireland: donedeal.ie

John, how's the new baby doing?