35 days around India with Royal Enfield

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joinbikergirl, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Joinbikergirl

Joinbikergirl Biker Girl

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 8.00.54 pm.png

I've been to India to ride twice before, once to Goa and once to the Himalayas. But I always felt, and had been advised, that I couldn't have a sense of what India is truly like until I had visited the rest of the country.

So, during my trip to Goa last year I conjured up this idea. An idea where anybody would have the opportunity to join me on a free tour of India. No number caps. No expected duration of time. Accomodation, route and everything sorted if you chose to participate.

This thread will be used by all 40+ riders on this tour to update as we go along. Hopefully it ends up being an entertaining and informative story for anybody who wants to plan a trip in India!

This tour starts in Chennai on the 7th of Nov, visits the windy jungles of Kerala, stops in Goa for Rider Mania – the largest gathering of R.E riders on the planet – and passes through Mumbai and the deserts of Rajasthan all the way to Delhi.

If you want to join us, message me and I will link you to our private Whatsapp group. There you can follow where we are and message all of us. You can ride any bike you like. You can ride for a day or for as long as you like.

You can read the full itinerary here: https://www.openroads.cc/motorcycle-itineraries/free-india-tour-november-2019

ROUTEMAP.jpg

In order to produce this tour we began by researching the routes. I take people on paid guided tours to places that I have been and I write itineraries that I can vouch for. Since I haven't done this route, I reached out to all my Indian contacts to verify the roads and journey times as best we could.

The tricky part about this trip is that it needed to be well timed. With people joining and leaving the route at different times, the route needed to be structured. This is insanely difficult in India where traffic is chaos. This will probably be our biggest downfall. We all know nothing goes to plan with motorbikes. And, if everything does goes to plan it is boring. So, our ideal situation is that 70% goes to plan, with a little room for drama and adventure ;)

In order to mediate this challenge, I planned four extra days in Goa and Mumbai to catch up if need be and averaged our speed at 30kmph. If we use up those extra four days, we will be riding to our plan come rain, night or elephant.

Note - all riders from our group who are posting: please introduce yourself before your first post! It would be great to get a snapshot of where everybody is from :)

So, with the intro complete, let the adventure begin!
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    :drink:lurk
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I'm in. :lurk
  4. Joinbikergirl

Joinbikergirl Biker Girl

Oddometer:
    Day 1 - Chennai to Pondicherry

I asked some of our Indian riders to post up for the first day, but since they found it a little difficult with their English skills I will post up day one myself.

This morning we tried to get out of Chennai as early as possible – the traffic in this city is one of the worst in India. It is a commercial hub so traffic starts early and practically never ends.

We met with three local riders from Chennai, and they took the lead first taking us to a gas station for petrol, then another station for air and then onwards out of the city.

The weather was muggy and draining at 8am. As we finally left Chennai and got out onto the road to Mahabalipuram, I felt myself relax and start to enjoy the ride. Funny how a little bit of wind can cool you down by a lot!

The roads were surprisingly – amazing. There are two routes south from Chennai, opting to take the coastal road was a great choice as it avoided traffic and we passed through amazing lakes and water catchments. Flowers in full bloom, sun shining – cruisey morning!

We stopped at Mahabalipuram, which has this massive rock craving. Whole ornate columns carved out and everything. It blew my mind – probably because I had no idea where we were going or what to expect. This is a rare experience for travellers these days who read up on everything before they go. Our local riders gave us some info on the rock while I was being grabbed by hoards of Indian women to take pictures haha! One of our Chennai riders headed back home to go to work at this point.

Onwards a few more hours to Pondicherry. At some stage we lost everybody and I double backed to try and find Adam. But in the process of doubling back he had double backed and then again...or something...and we had missed each other. I was pretty happy though, the road was well worth cruising twice.

We arrived in Pondicherry, or Pondi as it is affectionately called. I got lost and took some small backstreets, which proved to be the best thing ever as the buildings were pretty spectacular in their colourful ruined type of way. Had no idea Pondi was so cool! Definetly glad we made the stop.

Our second last rider turned back to Chennai at this point, it was her first ride ever and she was riding back solo in the late afternoon. She was pretty excited and told us that it was the anniversary of her dad's passing. Her dad was the one that taught her how to ride – special moment!

Spent the remainder of the night walking around the town, eating, drinking and sizing up elephants before sitting on the beach (swimming prohibited, 'too salty' and strong currents being the reasons).

Posted by one of our Indian riders on the first day, spelling mistakes and all <3

It was a very memorable day for me. I had been to Mahabalipuram so many times before but the feeling which I got was so different and over all experience was impeccable. You, Adam, Pulak, Bryan and BRJ were sooper cool and you people gave me some beautiful memories to cherish whenever I visit that place again. had a great Time hope that we will meet again!
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  5. Joinbikergirl

Joinbikergirl Biker Girl

Oddometer:
  6. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!
    Love the saree-guard on that Himalayan - a must have farkle in India!
  7. WorkingClassHero

WorkingClassHero n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic. Looking forward to more updates.