362 mile trail of a thousand gates

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by inte, Jan 9, 2004.

1. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    ...otherwise known as R-Dubb's impossible ride :):

For my second of DirtyVFR's master planned (really!) all-day tours, I was out the door at 7am. A 30 or 40 minute ride put my at VFR's place and we were off for the Mexican border, another two hours south. Now I know this is Southern California, so guys like Loaded and Flanny in the frozen north would probably shrug this off, but it was COLD for around these parts ... two hours of 70+ mph freeway wind chill was taking it's toll - and at least I had insulated gloves ... if only that were as cold as it was going to get that day...

After a brief Starbuck's detour we were at the border & heading east.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this ride, I learned that the US Border Patrol in this region is the most shot at law enforcement agency in the US. If true, you can probably see bullets coming at the lens :arg

Mexico in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's really surprising to me how easy it is to cross the border in places. The large border fence, in all it's obstructive magesty, just ... ends in places. You walk around it. At one point, there was a fork in the road, that if you had taken the wrong turn would put you in some guy's property south of the border. The 3-strand barbed wire that indicated the border was cut in that spot...

Another unorthodox border crossing as seen from the US side:

[​IMG]

Self-portrait along the fence:

[​IMG]

...the long fence...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DirtyVFR shooting some retroactive video from a past tour (explanation pending perhaps...):

[​IMG]

10 or 15 miles after leaving Tecate we were at the southern terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail.

[​IMG]

Heading north from there takes you through some beautiful ranch communities

[​IMG]

However part of the trail is composed of riverbeds, which were kinda soft after the recent rains.

Stopping to air down the front tires:

[​IMG]

After a turning back from a doable but NO TRESSPASSING barbed wire go-around, we doubled back only to follow a river trail to a blunt dead end, then once again doubled back to encounter another locked gate. At least that gate had a very welcoming go-around, so we took that & figured out problems were over. At that point, we were on track (or so we thought) with a rough VFR had downloaded of R-Dubbs.

Our effort to follow that route ended here:

[​IMG]

Several no-trail, GS-unfriendly type side excursions later, we gave up trying to find the intended way up Laguna Mt and instead ended up on another dead-end trail that had a bunch of imports from the West Bank laying around:

[​IMG]

Turns out it was a good thing, as we were to later find out that the top of the intended roads was also gated.

One last ditch attempt to get up a river trail that ended in some nasty rocks & we bailed for the Sunrise Hwy to Julian

[​IMG]

And that brough the cold.

A beautiful sunny highway going up, turned in to a snow-coated people-sledding-everywhere 60 mph ride through a Southern CA ice chest to julian. Not so bad if you're ready for it, but a pair of Shift riding pants an a sweatshirt under my riding jacket just didn't cut it.

Still it was a better option than the rocks.

362 miles, about 13 hours, good day.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Great! Looks like a fun ride.
  3. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't believe your border with Mexico!!

If the febce was made of chicken wire then it would look like our Dingo fence, unbelievable! Great pics good story, you blokes seem to have a country of extrames over there. Some blokes can't ride for snow yet others are getting out and riding some great places.
  4. DirtyVFR

DirtyVFR Throttle Twister

Oddometer:
    Inte,

The pics are great and really capture the pre-freezing portion of the ride. Especially the Border fence area. It's always a pleasure riding with you!

I'm off to Catalina Island for the weekend and then immediately to Chicago for a week of business. Someone told me to bring an extra layer since it get's colder in Chicago than California.:confused
    inte likes this.
  5. somecallmetim

somecallmetim Surf &/or Die

Oddometer:
    Damn, that looks like fun. Nice photos too...
  6. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    this part of the fence is pretty tall, but it's even more substantial where they rebuilt it around the Tijuana border - instead of being composed of sheet metal, it made of hundreds of giant metal pipes driven into the ground...

the old fence is still pretty tall though...

[​IMG]
  7. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice report, thanks,
  8. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Call me next time I'll take you up to Laguna the best road is La Posta road I just did it last week just as it was starting to rain There is a bit of snow up there that melts and freezes which can be tricky I think I reconize a few of those gates. I have been plotting a good ride to take you guys on I will broadcast my plan soon
    inte likes this.
  9. tommcbride

tommcbride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a very fun ride guys!
    There is So much COOL riding in Southen California!
    Thanks for sharing it with us!