1. a1fa

a1fa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Lots of stuff to do depending on what you like. Traffic shouldn't be bad Sat am unless there is an Ohio State football game but at 5:00am you should have the road to yourself.

If you're doing 800 miles I'd get on 71 and haul ass for a while.
  3. dragoon

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's what I mean, get on 71 and haul ass for a while. You'll get some folks that will say, "oh but there is a great road here..." and that may be true but it's going to be pretty staight & flat through farm county. If you want to get 800 miles in I wouldn't waste time on back roads in SW Ohio. That being said there are some great roads in SE Ohio :nod
  4. ohioroadrat

ohioroadrat It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer:
    Only ride a little above the speed limit in OHIO...this is the worst state in the union for bad drivers and police who LOVE and LIVE to write speeding tickets. Once out of Ohio you may not even see a cop!
    Have a safe trip....
  5. BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99 Horizon Chaser

Oddometer:
    Depends on what you consider 'fun.'

+1 on the Ohio State game comment - avoid SR 315 and Lane Avenue. There is road construction at the airport, though, and some roads are re-routed and can be confusing at first.

ANY road is more fun than I-71 from Columbus to Cincinnati. If you have the time, take dragoon's advice - SE Ohio has some terrific roads. SW? Not so much.

+1 to ohioroadrat on the LEO's. We went on a 1200 mile ride over Labor Day weekend and saw ~ 12 cars pulled over between Coumbus and Cleveland on I-71, and another ~ 8 between Wheeling and Columbus on I-70. Keep one thing in mind - LEO's love to use aircraft to determine candidates for performance awards. There is a reason why I know this (and figured out why my radar detector never made a peep...) :eek1
  6. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Measured mile, or some fraction thereof....
  7. BikerGeek99

Oddometer:
    Nope. Trust me. BTDT.

If you ever see a small wing-over airplane (I think that's the right term) putting along at about the pace of traffic but off to the side of the interstate, beware.

They use 2 stopwatches to time you between painted white stripes on the side of the road. The lines are something like 1/4 or 1/10 mile apart.

If it's a nice, clear day and you see those stripes on the side of the road, there's a chance there will be a Bear In The Air. Chances are you will not be aware of this until one of Ohio's Finest is pointing at you telling you to pull over.

There was an article in Car and Driver a while ago about this practice in Ohio. I'll try to root it up and pass it on.

There is no defense to this that I am aware of, and since the speed measuring device is a stop-watch, there is nothing you can do except invent a stopwatch-in-an-airplane detector.
  8. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are leaving at 5 A.M. on a Saturday morning you aren't going to want to have too much fun on Friday night.

If any of us liked you we'd throw a party for you, but we don't so we won't :lol3
  9. BikerGeek99

Oddometer:
    I'll bring . . . um . . . oh, nevermind.

Eww... :puke1
  10. dragoon

Oddometer:
    Uh yeah, I'm out :arg
  11. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Ironic timing on reading this thread. I'm just now rolling past mile marker 13 on I-75 coming home from work. Got on at mile marker 82(yeah, that's my current commute:bluduh) and have seen seven troopers so far.
    Good thing I have a driver. :1drink
  12. BikerGeek99

Oddometer:
    Found the link for the artice:
    Clicky
  13. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depending on what you're in to... :eek1

http://www.clubprinceton.com/

(Had the opportunity to do a walk through once. Strictly professional reasons you know...)
  14. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:

Oh yeah, I forgot to include the helpful info. You won't have any problems getting out of col. at that time. 71 is boring as hell, but if you need to make 800 miles, you don't really have a choice. If you've got time to have more fun, I would find my way to US 50 and get in to Indiana. Take it out to Dillsboro, then take 62 to Madison. Cross the river there and get back on I-71. If you have more time, take 56 out of Aurora to Rising sun, than catch 262 up to Dillsboro.
    If you have even more time, Stay on 62 till you run all the way through Indiana, then find your way west from there. That's my escape plan from home when heading west with time to enjoy it. :thumb

Oh, and if it's on a day when I'm home, stop by and say hi. :wave
  15. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Um, yeah. Somehow the neighborhood and the website just don't go together.

Guess you needed to check the fire escapes, eh?

What are you buying, A1fa?

Dave
  16. BikerGeek99

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

I'll be around. No plans for Friday, although the SO is planning on finishing her Rider's Edge training course next weekend. (She had a little get-off back on Mother's Day and now she's going back to finish up.) I'm going on a ride to Lake Erie on Saturday.

So, depending on what you have in mind (if you and Bueller are gonna do something that requires lube, I'm out) we may be able to work something out.
  17. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are welcome to stay witjh me, although I am 40 miles north of Columbus on I-71.

The "off the record" policy of the Ohio Hwy Patrol is "9 over", meaning park your GPS speedo at 74 in a 65 zone and they won't even look at you if everything else about your bike is kosher. Go 75 and you might get fucked.
  18. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the flowers.

You can leave the lube at home. This is Ohio, not Arkansas. It ain't that kind of party, and since I live with my girlfriend I have no need or use for your hole whatsoever.

If you promise to leave the lube at home you can stay in one of our spare bedrooms. We are about 40 miles S.E. of Columbus, where the hills start and the riding gets good.
  19. Biff's R

Biff's R Hill William

Oddometer:
    If you are going to be in Columbus next weekend(9-13-08), take Monday off, and go to the MotoGP race in Indianapolis. Then take i-70 west and then south to AR.

I rode to Rogers, AR last fall using I-70 to I-44. I hate I-40, endless trucks.
  20. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Rubber side down and all that...