390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone who has removed the chain guard/hugger part tell me the best way of getting at the bolt on the chainside of the shock? I can probably get it out OK but getting it back looks as
    though it would be very tricky. My fingers won\'t fit there and it will drop out of a socket.
  2. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put sticky grease in the socket. It will hold the bolt or nut.
    MotoSly likes this.
  3. RebornRider

RebornRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick question for this knowledgeable forum....
    I have found a source for "avgas" Aviation Gasoline. It's 100 octane, NO ETHANOL, low lead ( so some lead ). Here in Massachusetts, I can't find no ethanol fuel. Is this fuel ok to run in my motorcycles? KTM 390A and Suzuki VStrom 1000. Thanks. And...
    Ride safe all.
    Gary
  4. jep111

jep111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lead will clog/kill your catalytic converter.

John
    inroads and RebornRider like this.
  5. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    790R tip bolts straight on. Both levers even have the same wave shape.

IMG_1520.jpg
  6. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:

I agree with most of what he says, but he is Jimmy Lewis and I'm not.
    Massabusa, bren38, Cigar and 2 others like this.
  7. alphonse

alphonse Sometimes a Great Notion

Oddometer:
    I got the new brackets from Black Dog (no charge), installed them today, rattling is gone!
    breeno and Unhingedlizard like this.
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Sadly, I have to report the 790 guards won’t fit; directly at least. Spacing on the holes on the front are different, and the back is a miss, too. And the icing on the cake is that the screws are different sizes: smaller on the 790, M5 vs M6 on the 390, and the flanges on the 390 screws are too big for the 790 plastic.

Top front screw is in, this is the bottom one:
    IMG_1523.jpg

And the rear:
    IMG_1522.jpg
    Unhingedlizard likes this.
  9. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Darn. Have to get creative with some bracketry then. Thanks for the headsup
    MotoSly likes this.
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I can add to this that the bolt centres are quite different. 82 mm on the 390 and ~100 mm on the 790.
  11. Downhill Rider

Downhill Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As of Thursday, I have now joined the ranks.
    I picked mine up in Minnesota, and rode the 160 miles back home. I rode another 165 miles on errands yesterday. I will be happy once the break-in period is over!

Based on initial impressions, the first modification on the list will be handlebar risers!
    I must now grab a notepad, and start reading through this thread from the beginning again, taking notes as I go.
    Given that I am lucky enough to have other long distance motorcycles, the 390 is going to be set up as more of a dual sport, to take advantage of all the National and State Forest options up here in Northern WI, MN, and MI...
    Kudos to everyone who has contributed to this point, you definitely helped in my decision making process as to which motorcycle to purchase.
  12. breeno

breeno Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats and welcome!

I think your usage is indeed the sweet spot for this bike.

…and it really is a ton more fun broken in - the party pretty much gets started at 6k
  13. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey I see you also have the factory KTM aluminum skid plate, how do you find it? I’m not unhappy with mine but is seems a little thin...
  14. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the purchase! You get it from Larson’s? I didn’t think they had any left.. I recently took mine for a 207 mile ride in northern WI with about only 20 miles being pavement.. lots of deep sand. Was a great ride!
  15. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well unfortunately I don’t really have a lot to report back on this. They almost didn’t have time to look at it (despite my appointment) but did manage to have a mechanic test ride it. They acknowledged that it did have the odd feel, didn’t know why but said it was normal. At least I have it documented now.
  16. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well on a brighter note despite the mangled packaging they came in, I put on a set of clear, universal Stomp traction pads to the gas tank right where my knees contact it. Helps so much gripping the bike when the going gets rough.

671D2E9E-ABEC-4714-AA46-8624933CBEBE.jpeg

CC6FC9FC-E5E9-4FFA-BCF0-C8BCFCD33777.jpeg
  17. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    It’s doing the job. You have to understand that KTM skid plates are just that; they are designed to let the bike slide over stuff, and they are “crumple zones”. They bend and deform if hit hard enough. Ours has taken a beating.

Coincidentally, Shar has mentioned some “funny noises and vibration”. i’ve discovered the screw near the gear shifter is missing, allowing the plate to rock side to side. The front anchor screws were also loose. So it would pay to check tightness now and then. The front screws do have blue Loctite but since they are in the engine cases temps may be hot enough to melt it.

IMG_1525.jpg

All rigid again now. We’ll have to see if a rubber buffer is required at that screw. It has one as OEM, i’ve put in a fibre washer for now.
    bren38 likes this.
  18. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Couple of other maintenance points while I'm at it. Wet weekend here (again!) so I've got some shed time.

While fixing the skid plate I checked the gear shifter. Lots of slop everywhere there. Of concern was the linkage onto the shifter shaft. That needed tightening to remove the movement. Add that one to your regular checks :)

I've adjusted the chain, it took 6 "flats" or 1 full turn to bring it in to spec at the tightest point, and there are loose and tight spots. It has been hitting the swingarm rearward of the lower chain sliding guard. The looseness, loose/tight spots, and hitting the swingarm are all sources of NVH. The bike has just ticked over 11,000 km. My last note of adjusting the chain was at 1800 km. I suspect it was done another time but I didn't note in the service log. Pretty sure I checked it ~2500 km ago before our Easter trip.

To give you an idea of how wet it's been, compare and contrast these two pictures of the highway about 100 miles from home:
    [​IMG]

Friday morning, and it's been raining lots since (not my pic):
    [​IMG]
    78er, bren38, wncstrada and 3 others like this.
  19. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stay safe. We were running around outside for an hour yesterday in the downpour clearing drains and draining flood water
  20. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2021-07-18-13-54-13-401_be.tweedehands.m.jpg

So i can buy these for a good price..
    Width fits the 390.
    These are from a ktm 250 exc 2013.

What problems could i encounter?