390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or find a master with a larger piston?
  2. FloppyArmadillo

FloppyArmadillo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya I think I should probably just grab a new cable in that case. Parking at work requires a few tight right hand turns up ramps in a parking garage and having the friction zone on my clutch change at full lock just feels wrong and dangerous.
    2WheelNomad likes this.
  3. breeno

breeno Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    where did you order from?
    Haven’t had much luck in sourcing these things…
  4. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took the trusty Dremel and made a grove for the cable to pass through the handguard. I'll eventually order the longer cable and go back to the original routing. IMG_20210720_080301829.jpg IMG_20210720_080334161.jpg
    FloppyArmadillo likes this.
  5. HLR4

HLR4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    but brake modulation will effectively be crap, yes?
  6. LC.Kevo

LC.Kevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered through my local KTM dealer, they’ve been on backorder since late May.
  7. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cable or Barkbusters ??

Clutch cable... back away there is a post for a Motion Pro (Honda ?) clutch cable that fits perfectly.*
    Ordered it from ebay. $14 part.
    FloppyArmadillo and LC.Kevo like this.
  8. Downhill Rider

Downhill Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your bike is still under warranty, I would suggest that you spend the extra few $$ and purchase the complete filter kit. In the unlikely event that you have engine related warranty issues down the road, you will be relieved that you can document that you performed the required service “by the book”. Make sure that you save your receipts as well, for the same reason.
  9. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    IIRC replacing the screens every time is not mandatory.

If they do need replacing, then the kit is the best way to get them.
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Probably. What’s the piston area of the 390? Will you have to source a new master if you fit just one 790 caliper?
  11. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    That’s right at the weakest point of the hand guard. You’ve just neutered them.
    MotoSly and wncstrada like this.
  12. WolvesLower

WolvesLower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard to neuter something that never had any balls to begin with.
  13. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, you've discovered my secret plan to justify a set of Barkbusters and some heated grips! :-)
    bikemoto likes this.
  14. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While you can buy just oil and a filter, I've found it very convenient to get the oil change kit to swap out screens and be done quick. Then i take some time to clean them real good and get them ready for the next change. IMO their cheap enough to justify.
  15. breeno

breeno Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ah, meant the Bark Busters.

...But I actually did order a cable from Motion Pro today and they cancelled the order saying the part was backordered.
    wncstrada likes this.
  16. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try it on ebay.
    breeno likes this.
  17. wheelsdeep

wheelsdeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An enjoyable compare between a straight up dirtbike and a 390 ADV ripping a singletrack.

KTM vs BETA

In fairness the guy's skills ARE questionable... *shrug*
  18. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool video. I did a short section of single track locally- much rockier than what’s shown in that vid. The little 390 carries its weight very well, and the suspension was plenty good enough too. It’s only downfall we’re the mirrors (gotta get some Doubletakes) and the ground clearance. The bike handled well until I whacked a rock super hard. And then repeat. It just doesn’t have the clearance. If I do that track again I’ll need to go a little slower and pick my line a bit better. That is the only one single thing my CRF250L did better. (It had a full re-done suspension)
  19. wheelsdeep

wheelsdeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in agreement with you. I spent a long weekend camping and riding some rough terrain in the Moshannon State Forest in PA. My fellow riders rode a DR650, DR350 and a CRF250l. My 390 held its own save for ground clearance as noted in the pic below.

On the flip side the 3 hour ride to the forest was markedly better comfort and fuel range wise VS the other bikes. I do love the crf250 but I believe with a 220lb rider and gear he needed to refuel 3x. It's all give and take...

We are returning next weekend to the vicinity and hope for another enjoyable trip.

Attached Files:

2WheelNomad likes this.
  20. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    So, an interesting thing happened today :) I got a call from Shar saying the bike won't start, bring fuel because it hit "0 km remaining" on the way to work this morning (her commute is 10 km each way). I was somewhat suspicious it was out of fuel because previously there's been 1-3 L left when we've filled it when showing 0-10 km remaining.

When I got there, I sloshed the tank and sure enough, plenty of sloshing sounds. Hold the bike vertical, side stand up, key on, fuel pump primes and stops, hit the starter... vroom vroom noises! :D and I got THE look.

Next, I put the bike back on the stand, key on, fuel pump primes, hit the starter... no go. Up to vertical, starts and runs. Put it back on the side stand while running, 15 secs later starts to run rough, then cough, then dies.

Conclusion.... this bike must draw fuel from the right side of the tank, and when the fuel level is very low, in this case I suspect 1-2 L remaining, it won't start or run on the side stand. If that happens, it should start while upright and let you use the last 1-2 L to get to a gas station :)
    augerdin, bren38, 78er and 8 others like this.