390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Good tip!
    "The look" is never good... at least she could be justified when the bike wouldn't start on the stand.
    bikemoto likes this.
  2. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I never doubt her description of the symptoms. Sometimes I disagree with the diagnosis. Usually it comes down to experience.
    LC.Kevo likes this.
  3. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    I was told that a fuel pump is cooled by the fuel around it and when you always run down to low levels the pump can run hot and fail sometimes ?

Maybe a pump can handle the heat and no problems but keeping the pump happy may prolong it's life ? Just a myth ?

Also the kickstand sensor can be related to no start if failed...

s-l400.jpg
  4. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Fuel pump cooling is no joke. The early 990s and 690s had a few riders experience fuel pump issues and failures from plugging filters and running dry.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'm pretty sure on the 690's that a lot of the failures that were attributed to overheating were nothin but guessing/supposition. I actually cut my fuel pump apart on my 690 when it failed. The problem was the vibrations caused the wiring to the brushes to move around enough that they eventually sheared. Also, a lot of owners thought there was a bunch of crud getting in their tanks and causing the pumps to clog. The black silt they were seeing is from the carbon off the pump brushes and commutator which were carbon.
    snowhawk jockey likes this.
  6. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 950 pump was a failure point as well, though it was external. Actually used points that wore down and failed. Common repair was to replace the whole internal control unit with an inmate designed circuit board. The bonus with the old carbed girl was if your fuel level was above the carbs it would self feed.
    snowhawk jockey likes this.
  7. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would it be possible to put an external fuel pump on and have it survive??
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    If you're looking for reliability, then a brushless pump would be worth looking into more than an external. The external will still suffer from the vibrations, and the brush wiring will still be. failure point.
  9. Downhill Rider

Downhill Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I ordered a set of Rox 1 3/4” Risers after their Website instructed that only some minor cable routing would be required. Upon receipt, it’s clear that removing cable ties and stays isn’t nearly sufficient. Has anyone installed these risers, and if so, can you provide insight into how you made it work?

It looks to me like both the clutch and brake lines need to be moved...
  10. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my bike, brake line was OK. Clutch cable can be routed behind the triple clamps or there's a longer clutch cable available from MotionPro. Lots of discussion about this in the thread. Good Luck!
    Downhill Rider likes this.
  11. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So i was about to buy a slip on exhaust.. just to make it more "alive".
    The shop that sold it said it wouldn't fit ny 390adv... Cause the slip on was for a duke 390... But isn't that the same???
  12. OldTomRides

OldTomRides Still on two wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I finally got around to replacing the endcap with the Best Dual Sport Bikes endcap that a couple of other here have done. I really like it! I made a video of my experience (see link below), which I found a pretty "fiddly" process due to the cheap manufacture of the exhaust. But I got it done.

My one question for those of you that have done it or anyone else with an idea: what could I use to act as a heat-resistant seal? The original endcap had a rubber seal that was coated on I assume to prevent water from running into it. I have no idea what to replace it with, or if I need to even bother with it. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts here.

Link to my YouTube video
    You can hear the before and after at the end of the video.

Please note: I am absolutely not a mechanical expert. So any cringing you do when watching - I apologize. The drilling the pop-rivets was way easier after the first one (which is the only one I recorded). But the bottom line: it worked.
    LC.Kevo likes this.
  13. A1VW2NV

A1VW2NV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wurth makes a great exhaust sealing paste.
    oldgrizz and OldTomRides like this.
  14. A1VW2NV

A1VW2NV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The motor is the same, but the entire exhaust is different! You'll need something 390adv specific.
  15. FloppyArmadillo

FloppyArmadillo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Read the past 3-4 pages, there's been some talk specifically to rox risers. I've got them installed with stock equipment, clutch cable is too short even with re-routing I found, will be ordering a new motion pro one. Only other thing I found was needing to cut a cable tie on the brake line.
  16. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    High-temperature RTV should do the job. Same stuff used on two-stoke exhaust systems.
    OldTomRides likes this.
  17. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

>"The original endcap had a rubber seal that was coated on I assume to prevent water from running into it."

Why would you want to do that ? End-cap exhaust opening goes straight into the muffler !
    I think that BDS will release an end cap extension with a turned down tip on it in awhile.
    OldTomRides likes this.
  18. breeno

breeno Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    78er and MotoSly like this.
  19. MiddleAgedMissile

MiddleAgedMissile Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only good fix is a new clutch cable. I installed the Rox Risers and quickly found that rerouting helped but did not solve the problem of clutch slippage at full handlebar lock. I did not replace the brake line and so far it appears to be ok with some minor pulling and pulling to gain a little slack.
  20. Downhill Rider

Downhill Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, fellas!
    A new Clutch Cable is in the works.
    There’s no way I can stand up while riding with the current handlebar arrangement.