390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. MiddleAgedMissile

MiddleAgedMissile Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to installing the Zana International pannier racks (saddle stays) and GPS holder. I ordered the parts from India on June 30th and the parts were delivered July 9th. I was pleasantly surprised at the speedy delivery from India.
    The racks seem well made, solid, with a somewhat rough powder coated finish. I don’t mean that in a negative light, the finish is good and the friction of the finish means you can mount bags and ties without slippage. The hardware appears to be stainless steel and good quality.
    Included instructions for the rack were lacking as they did not provide detail for the lower mounting points. A quick Youtube search revealed a couple of how-to videos that were helpful. The frustrating issue I had was not with the rack but with removing the bolts from underneath the seat in the wheel well. The rack is supported by an attachment bar that uses spacers and replacement bolts to attach to the existing threaded inserts in the wheel well. The first bolt came out slowly but was tight during the entire removal. The bolt was covered in red loctite. The second I stripped after attempting to be extremely careful. The socket head of the hex head bolts are too shallow and have far too much loctite. The bolt was so tight that a bolt extractor simply turned the threaded insert. I finally gave up on removal and just drilled right through the insert into the seat. I cut out part of the rear tool holder area under the seat to get to the hole I drilled to attach a locknut. Luckily I happened to dead-center a metal support brace when I drilled through so the improvised attachment point will be sturdy. The only other real issue I had in installation was that the right rack lower mounting pount utilizes the exhaust can bolt and attaches on the inside (frame side). The bolt was much too short due to the bend on the rack attachment point. I removed the metal grommet spacer/cover on both sides to get the rack on. I intend to get a longer bolt and reinstall eventually.
    The GPS mount is a quick install. Once again, Youtube is a good resource to make installation quick. The mount does have some flex as it is mounted to plastic but a short test ride revealed no problems. I had a QuadLock mount to attach to the GPS mount bar but it was too small. In the interim I used a Ram ball mount and attached the QuadLock phone mount with a vibration dampener and a magnetic charger. I attached a few photos….next up, purchasing some bags.

715AA57D-A548-40A7-A20B-284E6667886A.jpeg F69A170B-C521-4894-8DDB-B8BA4631A8C0.jpeg FD4FB148-827D-4C2E-86C2-6BB0A88D5186.jpeg AE59B94F-64B8-4D63-8314-D8EB8FDEF258.jpeg
    Albie, wncstrada, Bgunn and 1 other person like this.
  2. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Anyone here go from a 690 Enduro or big adventure bike to the 390?
    Just started reading the last several pages so sorry if I may have missed any such info.
    Regrets?
  3. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had a 950 adventure for a few years and now a 390 for a year or so. Search my posts for my feelings on it.

Unfortunately the 390 is broken at the moment and I threw myself off the 950 on the weekend so no riding for me at the moment
  4. klrbum

klrbum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What size of a motion pro clutch cable do I need to order?
  5. Tomah

Tomah In transit ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    With over 30K miles on a 990-R, and now 1K miles on a '21 390 I can tell you these are two completely different machines and are hard to compare. The 390 is a light, fun, flickable 400 class - very similar feel to the Suzuki DR-Z except with EFI, ABS etc. Perfect machine for exploring forest roads, tearing up gravel and light off-road duty. You can armor it for serious off-road but the suspension and ground clearance limit its gnarly single track days (at least for me). It will cruise at 75 but it is not a long distance highway machine - too lite and buzzy for serious road work

In short - the 390 is a blast for what it was intended to handle.

Life is too short to only have one motorcycle :wings
  6. Tomah

Tomah In transit ... Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Red liner

Red liner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock OEM front sprocket after 14000 kms on the trot over two months in the Eastern Himalayas.

PXL_20210723_103255682.MP.jpg

Lesson learnt: Replace front sprocket (measly 4$) every 7,500 kms and get rid of the chain assy at about 14000 kms or so.
    78er, bren38, pazzo and 2 others like this.
  8. HLR4

HLR4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^hope the sprocket didnt get to see a violent ending....
  9. bobwombat

bobwombat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, Dad. I had a 690 Enduro R for about 3 years. It's a well loved bike with great world travel & off-road capabilities that are well documented. It's a powerhouse of an engine & great suspension but I didn't like the handling at speed at all. But, the "straw" that made me sell was the seat height; I struggled as I got older & shorter (yes, that happens!). I can flat-foot the 390A & have much more confidence now with the 390 plus don't miss the 690 power at all. As I get older & continue to ride, smaller & shorter is best for me. The 690 & 390 shouldn't really be compared but, to answer your question, no regrets at all.
    Ducksbane and wncstrada like this.
  10. Red liner

Red liner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost ended my life in the middle of the highway when the chain skipped a beat (or a couple of tooth) and rocked the bike violently when I tried to upshift lol! The next 2000 kms were spent riding very calmly through the rotten pandemic lockdown.
    Ducksbane likes this.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I have a 690 and just picked up a 390. I can't imagine not having the 690. It's absolutely the funniest bike I've ever owned. I have SUMO wheels for it and switching between a motard and dual sport on the thing is awesome. The power, handling, and versatility of the bike is amazing. The reason I prefer to have something else for doing more adventure riding is because I don't want to screw the best attributes of the 690 up to make it fill that roll.

While I don't have a lot of miles on the 390, I can say that I am pretty sure this is going to work well for the intended purpose. It's light (for an adv bike). While not powerful, it's adequate. I've had/have big adventure bikes and I'm with Bob. I want lighter. I'm getting too old to muscle around a 600lb + bike.

Oh, I do miss the 690 power when I'm on the 390. I'm not that old. :lol2
  12. MiddleAgedMissile

MiddleAgedMissile Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention in my Zana rack and GPS mount install. Total price for pannier rack and GPS mount with shipping from India was $142.
    wncstrada likes this.
  13. wheelsdeep

wheelsdeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in agreement- The 690 is the top tier dual sport motorcycle that can go off road almost anywhere you'd find a dirtbike at similar weight as a 390 adv. In my opinion there is no comparison between the two besides $$$$. Is it twice the bike- well that's for you each to decide. I went with the 390- but I didn't want to spend 13k plus...

Just curious why you added a 390 as the 690 is the next level bike in almost every category?
  14. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your words. They are completely different bikes for sure. Just wondering if anyone did the switch and felt more comfortable on the 390. Yes I love the power
    of the 690! I also have a Yamaha ST, and it is heavy. Got the 690 to replace the ST and make it my unicorn, but I am getting tired of tall bikes myself. At 5'7" the 690 is tall, I have a kouba link
    but it is still pretty tall for me. I guess it would make more sense to compare the 390 to my ST? I ride mild dirt roads on the ST, it is fantastic on the hwy, but a little big off road for me anymore.
    wheelsdeep likes this.
  15. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    I used to have an adventurised BMW XChallenge before the 390 which didn't weigh much more than the KTM, but it certainly felt like it did. I do miss the bottom end power and all that suspension travel but overall I'm much happier with the 390 with the lower centre of gravity and seat height. I also have a Ducati Multistrada which now feels like a truck after the 390. A very torqey, powerful, comfortable truck, but still a truck.
    motorock, 0405canvet and DirtDad like this.
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Basically, I replaced a CB500X with the 390. The 500 was supposed to replace my Strom. Luckily I never got rid of the Strom LOL. That 500 was such a huge disappointment! What I really wanted and waited a long time for was KTM to make a true 690 ADV, but alas, they saw fit instead give us the 790. Not a bad bike at all, but at 450 lbs by the time you add all the stuff too it, still a far cry from what I envisioned the 690 ADV to be. With the ADV specs, I imagined it to weigh in right at what the 390 does, maybe a couple lbs more. As I mentioned before, the reason I bought the 390 is because I don't want to convert the 690 into what the 390 already is. Hell, just to add the gas capacity that the 390 has is a major endeavor and expense, and all the options are a detriment to keeping the bike as it is for what I love to do with it. I really don't plan to do all that much to the 390. No spoked wheels, no aftermarket shock, no aftermarket exhaust. Obviously it's gonna get a new seat. Damn, can KTM ever make a decent seat? :devildog I'll do some suspensions mods just to fit it to my fat ass. Maybe a few tweaks here and there. I just don't push it that hard when I'm doing adv touring anyway. Having the 690 means it's gets all the abuse. And boy does it! I don't care what anyone says, the 690 is as tough as nails. Hell, I blew up a damn Strom, and those bikes supposedly are bullet proof. I don't thrash on it anywhere near as bad as I do the 690. If I tried, I'm sure I would be dead. :lol2 My DR the POS, has left me stranded a lot more, in a lot fewer miles than the 690. And once again, if I rode it half as hard as I do the 690, I doubt I'd be here to talk about it.
    DirtDad and wheelsdeep like this.
  17. cdubb30

cdubb30 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with the SHAD side bag supports? See link below. I have Givi GR718 soft bags and would really like to have some support to keep the bags off the side of the bike and something to strap it to, rather than rely on the velcro to hold up the weight. Which i could see failing on rougher roads, particularly when weighted down.

Note: This link is to the main site listing of which has several errors, if not misleading context. Thus my ask to anyone here on the forum.

https://www.shadusa.com/products/du...irigid-bag-holder?_pos=1&_sid=87a9f97b7&_ss=r
    tech199 likes this.
  18. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Interesting thoughts.

We tested a CB500X. I suspect it would make a better road or road/easy gravel bike, but it did feel a bit designed by committee. It was also 25% more expensive than the 390. Apart from cost, Shar wanted the more rugged capability of the 390.

KTM never intended to do a 690 adventure. 10+ years ago I was told by my dealer friend that a mid-capacity adventure twin was coming instead…which ultimately arrived as the 790 many years later. The Husky 701LR is a bit of a failed attempt to test the waters for a 690 Adventure, I think.

My 640 Adventure weighs in less than the 390 so yeah, I think a 690A should hit that mark. If they wanted to…
    wncstrada likes this.
  19. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I seriously looked at the 690 when i was buying. Essentially was 790R, 690 enduro, T7 or the 390.

In the end it came down to cost and shite dealer service. The 790R was the best do everything, but was the most expensive by far at 26k. The 690 was and is still a dream bike, but at 20k before adding mods it was too much of a compromise. The T7 would have fit the bill super nicely, but despite asking the local dealer 3 times to let me know when its available i have still heard nothing, then when they announced the 390 adventure I stopped asking as at 10k all up it meant I could have a small commuter /offroader and keep my 950 for longer trips.
  20. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The Honda is actually worse on the road as far as the way I prefer to ride. It's anemic parallel twin feels like it never wakes up till close to red line. It's handling, even after dumping money on Cogent goodies still not nearly as good as the 390 is bone stock. On gravel stuff, haven't really had the 390 long enough to get a good feel. But I have a feeling at 100 lbs lighter it's going to work better. Especially with some decent tires on it. The only place the CB has the 390 beat is smoothness. Oh and boredom. :lol2
    wncstrada and DirtDad like this.