390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Yes when KTM or Bajaj designed the clutch safety switch they missed the mark a little... Most bikes use a nice micro switch style , more accurate ...

The 390 clutch switch has a sliding contact ? Not very precise ? And my 390 was dangerously cutting out when coming to a stop...

I took the switch off and sprayed lots of contact cleaner inside it , and that helped to stop the problem for now, I ordered a new switch that was backordered for 2 months , which sounds like a common part to replace ? Almost got me rear ended a few times !

10068301.jpg
  2. billbob412

billbob412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish it wasn't raining so I could be out riding instead of reading about non problems and how to F up your bike:y0!
  3. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    And the 390 gear position switch could be an issue for sure, as some quickshifter problems have been related to this thing ?

s-l225.jpg
  4. JuanVuletich

JuanVuletich n00b

Oddometer:
    See https://www.kawasakiversys.com/threads/abs-disconnecting-on-off-switch-discussion.73169/post-1110018 on some bikes, front abs doesn't use rear sensor at all. Worth trying in the 390 adventure. In any case, it can't use speed difference, as that would fail if you block both wheels.
  5. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you and others have said, this bike doesn’t need MTC, or ABS, in my opinion. Just move the sensor out, with a spacer will disable it. To just start your bike and ride is the point, without having to scroll. Also to remove the constant warning light. Somehow I survived 40yrs of riding, without ABS and TC.
  6. Logans Run

Logans Run Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a 2020 with 3200 miles. It’s stalled when downshifting 4 times over the last 800 miles. All at different speeds. Taking it to the dealer next week for that and condensation in the TFT display. Restarted immediately while rolling at each instance. Love this bike other than that issue. I don’t have the quick shifter activated. I’ll post the diagnosis once the dealer figures it out. Glad it happened near the end of my season here.
    RebornRider and JuanVuletich like this.
  7. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I've survived over 40 years of riding as well, but I still have to admit that ABS is a good additional tool to have in my toolbox. This isn't my first bike with ABS, and even still, I have to admit that I've never had ABS save my bacon. Although, I will admit that under the right set of circumstances it certainly could. TC, I can do without though.

I'll try to get better at remembering to deactivate MTC each time I start the bike. It's an unnecessary annoyance to me, but I certainly don't want a repeat of what I experienced the one time I forgot and tried going through some mud. If I could delete it altogether, I would. If it continues to pose an issue for me, I may try wiring a switch to the rear sensor as mentioned previously. Having the ABS light on while off-road doesn't bother me. And it serves as a reminder to turn it back on once I get back on the road and would prefer it being active. I found the plug for the rear sensor... It rides just above the rear brake fluid reservoir and forward of the top shock mount. On the next outing I may disconnect it and see what happens... If it works as I suspect, I may order a pair of connectors and wire up a switch.

And if anyone is interested in wiring a switch into the circuit, without having to dick with the factory wires, these are the plugs needed...

Female:
    http://www.autolumination.com/wirin...ors-harnesses-plugs/f2-003-2pos-connector.htm

Male:
    http://www.autolumination.com/wirin...ors-harnesses-plugs/m2-003-2pos-connector.htm

In fact, even if you like to leave well enough alone, it may be a good idea for everyone to check theirs. I found the small unprotected wires coming out of the plug, on the harness end, to be touching the shock. Very good potential that the insulation could have been rubbed through at some point, which goes back to recent comments about the wiring being somewhat haphazardly secured on these bikes. I put a zip-tie on it to keep it away from the shock. Did a half ass job, so may need to go back and readdress it when I have more time, but I think it'll work as is.
  8. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    So no more scrolling! Just start and ride!
    Bike stock: ABS(rear) and TC can be disabled by menu. Takes time, really PITA!

Bike: With ABS rear sensor unplugged. No TC, no ABS either wheel, no quick shifter, and large warning light on all the time, no need to scroll, but can start and go! Big improvement but warning light on!

Bike: With rear sensor repositioned to front wheel. No TC, no ABS either wheel, no warning light and quick shifter works!! Perfect! ABS would have been nice on the front wheel but the brake is strong, with good feel anyway. An easy way to get rid of the dubious TC that is very dangerous when riding off road. Great bike!! A161222D-B5AC-4C7C-B451-3222804939C3.jpeg
    Force0321, mminob and Carlito like this.
  9. Carlito

Carlito Calgary rider

Oddometer:
    It was worth the try, thanks for confirming the different configurations.
  10. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Nice idea 0405canvet, trick the computer :thumb
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t mind the warning light while off-road. And I fully expected to lose ABS on the front. Sort of on the fence about that. Didn’t expect to lose QS though. Not sure that’s a big deal since I rarely use it anyway. More of a novelty to me rather than a real “feature” for the most part. Hell, I’ve ridden for over 45 years with a manual clutch so. :dunno

But, moving the rear sensor and adding it to the front kills ABS all the time, which is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I can live with losing it off-road (maybe), but I prefer keeping it on road.

Sounds like the best all around method would be to leave the original sensors in place, add a third to the front wheel, then wire the extra front in with the original rear, with a selector switch. Would have to price a new sensor to see if it’s worth it to me…

OR, just add a switch to the rear and live with the warning light, no ABS or QS while off-road, and full functionality while on road with a simple flip of a switch.
    :hmmmmm
  12. Trokarr

Trokarr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For anyone waiting on the redesigned Rival skid plate, here is the message I received from them today (Oct. 19/21):

"We should have the new skid plates in 2-3 weeks as long as nothing changes with the laser cutter."

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    tech199, Force0321 and Randy like this.
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds about right. Joji quoted me 6 to 8 weeks back on August, 26th.
  14. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    The things I have to do for you guys! Randy’s dream of an off switch for TC may be just a sensor away. Last thing to try is wiring the sensors together! If that works, to disable the TC, then a switch to run the sensors together or separately, will give us a simple, cheap solution. Today, I cut and splice for all 390 Adv riders!! To be continued!
    WolvesLower and Force0321 like this.
  15. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wiring the sensors together did not work!
    Randy’s idea of a switch to disable the rear sensor is probably the easiest solution to disable the TC. Simple toggle to get back to stock.
    Or move rear sensor to the front wheel. This still enables the quick shifter and the warning lights stay off.
    Adding a switched front sensor beside existing and switching between the new sensor and rear sensor, as suggested by Randy(?) would be the best option, without a dongle to keep the settings when the bike is shut off??
    snowhawk jockey likes this.
  16. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Damn! That is some research. (And I finally got caught up on the thread again) I am thankful to have the option to hang both sensors on the front wheel. Adding it to the list.
    20210921_195848.jpg
    I changed jobs and havent touched a thing on the bike, only riding it occasionally. Last ride was a twilight ride up the pass and it was COLD... and I dumped the bike in deep sand, breaking the right handguard, bending right handle bar and brake lever. Starting to look for takeoff parts, if anyone has take off bars or handguards, let me know.
    20210921_211416.jpg
    I was almost thinking to winterize her. However, it looks like Lil puttputt got an extended riding season! I just tested my new to me 'stitch Darian pants/jacket combo. Now that I can layer up in good gear, I will try that ride again, since we ran into gates on the standard route and had to turn back.
  17. Ponobill

Ponobill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The switch on my bike actually has a microswitch activated by the white button which looks the same as yours. The button presses against a metal leaf that might be mistaken for a sliding contact, but it's just a lever, pressing against the button of a closed microswitch. Pretty wimpy, but not as wimpy as an open set of contacts would be.
    mminob likes this.
  18. Ponobill

Ponobill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cleaned and adjusted my chain today. I don't think this chain is going to go much more than 5K miles. Any recommendation on chain brands or are they all generally pretty good these days.
  19. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    I have had good luck with the DID VX3 chains and I get the rivet link instead of the clip link for peace of mind ... And the gold chain adds 10 horsepower :D
    TwilightZone and Magile like this.
  20. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you've seen with the stock chain, not all chains are created equal. While I'm sure there are others that are good, I can only attest to those I use personally. I stick with either DID or RK x-ring chains.
    Magile and Force0321 like this.