390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I'll off the 390 for another little while.

After picking up a gorgeous, low km, blue Aprilia V4 Tuono last Friday someone pull out of a driveway in front of me this evening on a cruise with a friend. Braked as hard as I could on the new bike but hit the rear quarter of the car, flipped over the boot and landed on my back on the road.

I'm in hospital at the moment but looks like its mostly superficial rash, soft tissue and muscular damage. My poor Tuono looks.totaled tho. Headlights are all busted and the forks are all bent up.
    2WheelNomad likes this.
  2. Force0321

Force0321 Dirty Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! That really sucks!
    Heal up fast!
  3. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, dude! That bites! Glad you got by without serious injury.
  4. LC.Kevo

LC.Kevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best wishes on a speedy recovery!
    goochman likes this.
  5. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the replacement. I junked the original 'stretchy' chain early... like 400 miles.
    Gotta be careful with the rivet clip though. Get a good chain tool.
    There is a fine line between too loose and too tight. Go slow.
    Randy likes this.
  6. Unhingedlizard

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the wishes. Just got home. Had an x-ray and nothing broken thankfully. Walking is a bit hard at the moment. Hopefully recovery is speedy
    motorock, 78er, LC.Kevo and 3 others like this.
  7. WolvesLower

WolvesLower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hoping you have a speedy recovery!
    Always an accident around the corner.
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Yowzer! That’s not good.

Glad to hear nothing is broken. Heal up fast mate.
    Unhingedlizard likes this.
  9. Rico2wheels

Rico2wheels Lord Rico Supporter

Oddometer:
    OMG get well soon and best wishes...Rico, Kalispell, MT.
  10. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That so sucks. Sorry to hear it man. Hope you heal up quick and maybe the bike isn’t as bad as you think. Sounds like a sweet bike.
  11. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Force0321, 78er, bren38 and 2 others like this.
  12. Unhingedlizard

Oddometer:
    Was such an amazing machine. I've long said that the V4 is the ultimate expression of the motorcycle engine and it really was. Torquey enough to cruise along following my gf on a 300x all day but if you opened it up there was a well of power that just didn't stop.
    Bikes due to be picked up by the dealer tomorrow but I just checked it out for the first time since the crash. Isn't actually as bad as first thought. My friend told me the forks were bent but looks like it was actually the left side of the bars bent about 4 inches (by the inside of my thigh. The bruise may be a PB) so there is a lot of bits damaged (a light, the dash is smashed, body panels etc) but the core looks ok. Didn't try to start it.

Sorry for all the none 390 talk
    bikemoto likes this.
  13. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Glad it may not be as bad as first thought.

Reckon there's a lot to be said for a V4. A few years ago I scored a last-of-the-line VFR750, complete with gear-driven-cams whine. After coming from a highly-modded 900 triple it seemed a bit gutless in the midrange initially; but compared to my memories of IL4 750s, it's very rideable. It's interesting that MotoGP went V4 in the 4T era post-2T (which were mostly also V4) and now the race-replica road bikes have gone V4 (Panigale et al). One of the hold-outs persisting with an IL4 is Yamaha, but they are mucking around with cross-plane cranks to get some of the benefits of V4 without sacrificing their IL4 roots, or mid-corner advantages. If you want to go down a technical rabbit-hole, read up on cross-plane vs flat-plane cranks for V8s and V4s (the RC30 was different to the VFRs). Triumph are doing some funky stuff in that area with their latest 900 Tiger.

Recently there was an expose on the KTM MotoGP RC16 V4. Fascinating reading: https://bit.ly/3gsY6pz. Of note regarding the electronics, the riders say they are there as a safety net: if the bike is cutting power, you've cocked up and aren't getting the best from it. (Whereas on the 390 Adventure, most of us agree the MTC is too intrusive?) However, in contrast, someone was penalised recently for reckless riding because during corner entry he knocked the rear wheel sensor off the bike in front, causing that rider to high-side on exit "because the TC failed". That sounds to me like they *are* relying on TC.
  14. Maj. Manish N

Maj. Manish N n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

New to this forum. I have 2020 KTM 390 ADV from last 1.5 Yrs. 11K Kms (I know it is low mileage - due to pandemic situation here in India). Most KM's covered in off-road terrain near Himalayan mountain range, very less on tarmac rides.
    Now coming back to the query - I am looking to switch to spoked wheels looking for information on Stock Alloy Wheel weight (KTM 390 ADV - 2020). Also somewhere I read husky's are almost direct fit in terms of hub. Wanted to try them with custom rim. What are your views. Open to suggestions.
    IMG_20210814_080231.jpg
    Thank you in advance. Good Luck Riding.
  15. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    What would be a fair price for my 2020? It has 877 miles. I did the first service myself using the official KTM oil change kit. I have added KTM Barkbuster hand guards. These were used so have a few nicks. I also installed a used KTM rear rack. It has a scratch on it but its functionally fine. I have installed a RAM mount in the GPS mount location. I have installed a kickstand foot enlarger. That is about it. I am going to remove the Givi top case and the Doubletake mirrors and put them on my CT125. It doesnt have a scratch on it. Its never been more offroad than gravel. It was $7700 OTD when new.

Attached Files:

16. Unhingedlizard

Oddometer:
    I remember that! Marc clipped Danis back wheel braking and hit that tiny wire in a "couldn't actually do that if you tried" accident. And yeah next corner dani threw himself to the moon.

Interestingly revisiting the crash scene I left a huge black mark from both tyres. I don't recall locking the wheels or losing any control of steering. Had the abs setting on 3 (the highest setting) and looks like the system was holding the wheels just over the point of locking. Super impressive and I think had I had more time on the bike and was more familiar with the limits of what it could do I would have avoided the car. As it was after only 5 days on it it scrubbed off enough speed and left me with enough control to avoid the middle of the car and hit the rear at about 20kph, from my initial 50ish. So I got away with serious bruising rather than broken bones or death. Super impressed
    bikemoto, jep111 and Randy like this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    WolvesLower likes this.
  18. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:

I picked up a 2020 recently with 955 miles and $1000 in extras for 6K. I thought it was a good deal. Don't see many on the used market for sale.
  19. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    47BC57E0-A05C-45F7-9310-4AE32BB935E6.jpeg
    KTM wheels may be the easiest option??
    Maj. Manish N and Nomadventure like this.
  20. darkstar1269

darkstar1269 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same, I just got my GF one of these, used with 590 miles, first service had already been done by a local dealer, paid the guy $6k for it.