390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Trokarr

Trokarr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck. As I mentioned, the exhaust are easy to check if you drop the radiator (you don't have to drain the coolant), but the intakes are a pain. Cutting and bending the feeler gauge is certainly an option. When I bought my tapered feeler gauges they came as a set of two, so I could probably cut and bend one set to shape also. I may try that if the Rocky Mountain ATV gauges don't do the trick. All I can say is I never swore as much in my life as when I was trying to measure the intake clearances because I tried to come from the back straight in but the throttle body is in the way. Someone suggested to come in from the side so I will try that also in the spring. I suspect that once everything is set to spec, the clearances probably won't move much for a lot of miles.
  2. Trokarr

Trokarr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Btw, the Motion Pro feeler gauges from Rocky Mountain ATV were ~$6 each. I don't know how the price got up to $35, but I agree that I would not pay that either. I suspect it is a glitch on their web page.

Here are the prices from my invoice:

Motion Pro Tappet Feeler Gauge .002/.003 1256080001 $5.83

Motion Pro Tappet Feeler Gauge .004/.005 1256080002 $6.17

Motion Pro Tappet Feeler Gauge .006/.008 1256080003 $6.17

I also had some Quick Cash credit from previous orders so they were less than $5 each when all was said and done.
  3. cculpepper

cculpepper n00b

Oddometer:
    @Ponobill I measured the amount of current the regulator pushed into the battery when dead at a maximum 1f 16A. Bike needed to be jumped, and the battery was at 11.7V, measured at the terminal. After about 10 minutes, it was down to 10A. The regulator didn't really get warm at all.

I hooked up the dead LiFePO4 battery (9.5V), and disconnected the lead acid. The lithium battery charged at only 12A, so it would definitely be safe to put in. It might be a little tired, its a little old, but hasn't seen much use at all.
  4. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are they available anywhere?
  5. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to bring this up again. But I’m trying to compile a direct comparison from those of you who have the Rival or the Black Dog skid plate. They both look to mount to the frame on the front sides and the rear somewhere, but Black Dog is nearly double the price of the Rival. I’m trying to see if the price is just. I want the best one but want the money spent to be justified as well.

Anyone with either pls chime in. Thanks.
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have neither. With that said, if you want the "best", you first have to understand the definition of what's "best" for your needs. If you plan to pound on the bike and treat it like a dual sport/dirt bike I would say get the BD and cry once. I have no doubt that the BD design is the strongest overall, and will likely standup to hard core use. The BD attaches to the frame in both the front and the rear, and is not attached to the engine cases.

The Rival attaches to the frame in the front, but uses a modified version of the stock bracket for the rear attachment point. This means the rear is attached to the engine cases. Likely fine for most "normal" uses, for most owners of this bike (like me).

I have other bikes that I use for more serious off-road excursions. For me, the 390A is more of a street bike with the ability to go off-pavement for some milder dirt/gravel road exploration. I have no intention of using it like a dirt bike. So, for me, "best" might mean something entirely different than for someone else. For my uses/needs, the added expense of the BD brings no actual advantage that I'll ever realize. YMMV.

Just my perspective...

I'm patiently waiting for Rival to release their new design...
  7. Trokarr

Trokarr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Rival skid plate and it cracked due to the laser cut "Rival" logo being to close to the front mounting bracket. I'm waiting for Rival to replace it with their redesigned skid plate. Like Randy, I ride mostly pavement/gravel with some dirt section roads; no single track or hard off-road. The Rival is more than adequate for my needs and the thing is a beast except for the one weak spot. Randy's description of the mounting points is dead on; frame in front with a beefy mounting bracket that attaches to the engine instead of the stock mounting bracket. Cost was a big factor in my decision for a skid plate. I really like the BD plate, but with Canadian-US exchange rate, duty, shipping and taxes, the BD plate would end up being $600+ Cdn, whereas the Rival was $351 Cdn to my door (Rival was having a sale on the skid plate when I bought mine in Dec/20, so it is probably more now). EDIT: Just checked the Rival web site and the skid plate is listed as "out-of-stock" as they are probably waiting for the redesigned ones.
  8. Ponobill

Ponobill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing much kills LiFePO4 batteries other than deep discharge or gross overcharging. Thanks so much for the information. Next spring I plan to do a bit of weight reduction and ground clearance improvement on my 390. I really like the engine with the exhaust freed up and the ECU remapped. It's become responsive, smooth, and I think quite a bit more powerful. I will build a battery for it and just monitor the charge rate rather than adding a current limiter to the BMS. I have a nice, compact shunt that I can connect to an ESP32 to create and transmit a power log to my iPhone. The side benefit of my stupid motorhome project is that I've developed a lot of wireless sensors and control systems to replace the point-to-point wiring. It would be even nicer to tap into the display and control system, but I'm going to avoid that. With the mid-muffler gone there's a large protected, open area down low that looks useful for electronics. My winter project is refining use of a GPS-connected mesh LoRa system for staying in touch with friends while riding BDRs and such. I'm not a fan of continually waiting for slower riders or having faster riders wait for me. Fortunately, the major software and hardware development is already done. It's just a matter of adding a few features and packaging. I've been working on using this system to navigate a robot tow sled for foiling in the Columbia River. The work I've already done gets me 9/10ths of the way there. https://www.ponostyle.com/towbots-and-silliness/
    cculpepper likes this.
  9. billbob412

billbob412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a BlackDog on my 990 and my 390. Probably overkill for my intended use but like the old saying goes The initial pain goes away after a while but the quality stays on. or buy once cry once. or something like that. Many times I've started out on a easy trail or dirt road and ended up being where I was glad that I had solid protection under my very expensive engine cases. But what do I know I've only been riding for 60 years.:y0!
    Maxacceleration and 2WheelNomad like this.
  10. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect! Thanks. I didn’t realize the Rival attached to the engine case in the rear. Thats a deal breaker for me. Thats what I was wanting to know.
  11. Carlito

Carlito Calgary rider

Oddometer:
    The inflated prices we pay for some stuff up here is really annoying sometimes. The BD products are nice but really spendy once you figure in currency exchange, shipping, duties and taxes.
  12. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are KTM Hard Parts wheels. Just bolt on using the spacers And discs from your cast wheels. No need to source different bearings and have to screw around with spacers.
  13. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @BlackDogCycleWorks I cant send you a PM. Any discount to be had on a skid plate and pegs combo?
  14. 2WheelNomad

2WheelNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive looked around KTM’s site and didn't see anything in stock anywhere. I might be looking in the wrong place possibly?
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't say where you can find them, but here's the page in the PowerParts catalog, with part number...

https://www.ktm.com/en-us/parts---w...d.html?year=2020&segment=Travel&model=F5375T6

Last I read anything about these they were on backorder... Guess you can call your dealer and see what they can tell you...
  16. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can imagine...

I have no idea how all the US to Canada stuff works, with import duties, exchange rates, shipping, etc... But, even here the BD plate is $395, and the Rival is $260. Then, add shipping and sales tax onto both of those... But yeah, including taxes, the BD is about $145 more...

I'd say that if one can benefit from its "better-ness" then it's worth the price of admission. IF I were using this bike like I do some of my others, I wouldn't even bat an eye at the difference in price. But, for me, it's kinda like telling Uncle Bob that he needs knobbies, crash guards, bark busters, and a skid plate on his 'Wing... :dunno
  17. Trokarr

Trokarr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought my Rival skid plate it was on sale for $207.99 (US) so the differential between the two was even bigger and very hard to justify the BD for my personal riding style. I thought there was a NAFTA agreement between the US and Canada, but I haven't seen it cover anything to date. Politics I guess!
  18. Carlito

Carlito Calgary rider

Oddometer:
    Barkbusters BBZ handguards for cold weather. These install over Barkbusters backbones. Took it for a ride today with the temp around +8 degrees C. Though I had heated gloves on, I did not need to turn them on. My hands stayed pretty warm. The handguards really help keep the windchill off. A32B80C6-DC40-439D-AE57-286CA129A90A.jpeg 735EAD9F-E4AF-4D78-964F-F87C1637C232.jpeg D8F07365-7FF1-4875-9F9C-1D218D1A90FA.jpeg
  19. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have these! They work without the backbone as well. With those and heated grips I wear vented summer gloves year round (rarely gets colder than zero here)
  20. Carlito

Carlito Calgary rider

Oddometer:
    For goods manufactured in the US, I don’t think there’s any duties when brought into Canada. My ROX risers shipped up here from the States had no duties. Some gear I bought from Italy ($1300 order from Motostorm) had very little duty, maybe $50 or so. But the Powertronic and FuelX that came from India had about $60 in duties for about a $600 order. Some chemical from the States that I regularly order for my business is always duty exempt. So I’m definitely not an expert on duties, and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that most goods made in the USA shipped into Canada are duty free. You still have to pay GST and PST once the goods get to Canada customs. It really seems hit or miss with some countries with respect to import duties and bringing stuff into Canada.