390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. SwampNut

SwampNut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The video is useless garbage and should be downvoted.
  2. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    Who has accessed the front accessory 12 volt terminals?

Getting ready to mount my GPS. Want to use the existing terminals if I can find the male terminal.
  3. A1VW2NV

A1VW2NV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's most likely the standard 890 adv.
  4. JohnA

JohnA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check post 153( in this thread) for a photo of the wire in question.
    Massabusa likes this.
  5. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its the 890 not 390. VID-20201016-WA0004_exported_4458_1602827021014.jpg
    KA9099, Unhingedlizard and bikemoto like this.
  6. MattFromNCSD

MattFromNCSD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dumped it today in Anza Borrego in deep sand (stupid MTC) and got my first boo boo with some crash bar rash. Feel like such a big boy. Here’s a fun 360 vid from before the crash (was off during, bummer), can’t see much of the bike until I find a better mount, but at least I edited it like I roasted my DRZ buddy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ws-xs54dafj4Mcwj9H-GWyFnE_Tp5muu/view?usp=drivesdk

Edit: what a buddy, promptly published me standing over a down bike video from his helmet cam. You can always count on your friends! Here’s that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1syozaOx7MWD9wJhfA5m4qarPLpOivdPs/view?usp=drivesdk

Attached Files:

motorock likes this.
  7. hwy84

hwy84 Stuck in the snow Supporter

Oddometer:
    Update on my leaking fork:

Cleaned the leg in question (rebound side) and it was DIRTY.

There is pitting/scoring on the back side of the stanchion - definitely easy to feel with my hand, and won't clean off. EDIT: NOT Pitting. Some strongly adhered foreign material. Spent 10 minutes with WD-40 and microfiber and fingernails getting after the rough areas, and managed to get it smooth.

Got a business card under the dust wiper and a fair amount more oil poured down, probably a teaspoon or so. Worked around the dust seal, and found no grit.

Pulled the dust seal, cleaned with WD-40, and then worked a business card into the oil seal and worked around the fork - same result: more oil (though not as much) but no grit/dirt working out.

Cleaned up, and out a fresh towel on the wheel to catch drips. Will report back in the morning to see if it's still leaking. EDIT: 12 hours later, no more dripping/leaking. Rate had been roughly 1 drip every 30 minutes before, so clear difference made after cleaning.

--------------------------

Pic below: A shot of how dirty the leg was before cleaning, and how far into the travel I had taken the fork.
    PXL_20201019_050125535.jpg

Pic below: Lots of dirt and grime from the fork leg, and around the dust seal. The leak had clearly been happening longer than I thought, and had provided a sticky surface for dust and grit.
    PXL_20201019_052109595.jpg

Pic below: The foreign material (I had thought this was pitting) after cleaning. This was hard to remove, but did eventually come off. I wonder if this was enough to deform the oil seal when the fork was deep in the travel, and allow grit to get behind it, and cause the leak.
    PXL_20201019_051946554.jpg
    WAP, Unhingedlizard and Red liner like this.
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Did you pull down the dust wipers, out of the fork uppers first? You shouldn't be going through the dust wipers to get to the oil seals, but maybe I'm misreading that.

Normally it would be dry between the oil seal and the dust wiper, but I suppose not if the oil seal is leaking.

If the front wheel is on the ground you will get a bit more oil out due to the compression from static sag.
  9. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    We do hard chrome inhouse for our pistons and plungers that we manufacture.

That pitting will always be a problem for your oil seal.

Also, that much pitting cannot realistically be plated out.
  10. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    is that pitting at the base of the leg, dont think they polished the full length, only the active area. my forks looked like that from day one at the axle area.
    waxing the legs is the first thing for me , having lived by the coast many years.
    I have hand polished Grooves deep enough to break a nail on the forks of our suzuki, 5 years ago.Just takes time, rouge and many dfferent grits if paper, washing continuously kerosene.
    inroads likes this.
  11. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. SwampNut

Oddometer:
    It's a huge pain. The cover under the headlight is fairly small, and on my bike, the wire was tucked way behind a bunch of others. Once I finally was able to slowly work it out, with room for only one finger, the wires were too short to pull the connector out of the headlight. I had to shove the other connector in there while using a single finger to hold the bike-side connector. They apparently couldn't spare one more inch of wire? Mine were on the left side of a big bundle down the middle.
  13. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not in the next 2-3 years and you will definitely get the 490 duke first in year 1.
    roookie1 likes this.
  14. hwy84

hwy84 Stuck in the snow Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry was unclear before - yes. First cleaned behind the dust boot with it in place, then pulled down to access the oil seal more easily. Edited the post above to clarify.

Turns out that wasn't pitting, as I had thought, but something REALLY stuck to the fork. I eventually cleaned it off with fingernails, WD-40, and microfiber towels. Took some time to get if all off, and now feels as smooth as the rest of the surface. I currently think this "contamination" (for lack of a better term) was enough to deform the seal and allow dust/grit behind it, leading to my issue.

Result after thorough cleaning:

So far no drips in 12 hours! Fingers crossed...

Now I only worry about how much oil I lost. Will have to look for oil level, and do a check to make sure I didn't drop too much.
    roookie1, Red liner and bikemoto like this.
  15. JojidRivalComponents

JojidRivalComponents n00b

Oddometer:
    IMG_0261.jpeg

First ride on the 390!
    wncstrada and motorock like this.
  16. motorock

motorock Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats my thought too. And these are not even the fancy premium tubeless spoke wheels- which I would probably want to shell that much money for.

Haha, this is great. On the trails, I felt like the MTC would interfere with a nice slide when braking which was a bit offputting but nothing dangerous- what did it do on the sand?

Also, what tires are those? They good on sand? Trying to find a tire good for sand and paved twisty roads as well.
  17. motorock

motorock Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that a frame mounted skidplate that you are showing us?
  18. A1VW2NV

A1VW2NV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright, let's hear about that skid plate!
  19. SwampNut

Oddometer:
    My first time in sand, I just forgot about the traction control completely. I rolled into the first bit of it which coincided with a turn, got the bike leaned over, hit the throttle to maintain speed by sliding a bit, and......BRRRRRRPPPPP. Mild high-side, I was going slow and the sand stopped me hard. I still didn't remember the TC and couldn't get moving at all. Then...duh. I remembered.
    motorock likes this.
  20. Trokarr

Trokarr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had their second service done in NA? I just had mine done in Canada and they wanted $305 for basically an oil change and visual inspection. I bitched about the price and they knocked off $60, but this still seems excessive. Guess I'm doing all the future services myself. I hope someone posts a how-to on checking/adjusting the valves before my third service is due.