390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. motorock

motorock Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got around that issue by starting in 2nd gear I think- on the MX track. I was limited by tire too- what tires are you using and how were they on the sand?
  2. SwampNut

SwampNut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was quoted about $350 but he claimed they do a by the book service that takes 2.5 hours, and they remove all the panels and re-torque everything. I had been wanting a dashcam for the bike, was hoping I'd have it before the service to have it recording.

I'm on stock tires, and I don't have enough sand experience to really give a useful opinion. I think they are very slippery on sand. I've spent a lot more time on hard pack, rocks, and mixed surfaces around Arizona. I hate sand (because of no experience in it). I happened across some trying to take an offroad shortcut from my house to the moto dealer. I might not try doing that again, not sure.
  3. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  4. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Riding is the true test but not leaking while parked ia a good start.

The grit stuck to the fork slider could both cause a small leak every time the fork seal crosses it, and rapidly wear the seal at that point. Good job on persevering and removing it.

You probably haven't lost too much oil. A little goes a long way when it comes to making a mess. Instead, I would just leave it a while and then change the fork oil at a short interval. Anything over 5000 km I'd just change the oil if I had to open the forks.
    hwy84 likes this.
  5. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are the service intervals on this bike? I am thinking of adding one to the bike barn and I am curious.

thanks
  6. dwighop

dwighop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Front caliper was stuck. Pulled it apart to find a metal sliver under the thicker gasket. :(
  7. DirtFarmer

Oddometer:
    OleShep likes this.
  8. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. DirtFarmer

Oddometer:
    No. KTM probably won't publish that.

Bootleg copies of shop manuals has caused a few bannings here over the years. :lol3
  10. Mick0160

Mick0160 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Warp9 :

"because of the mag wheel ktm set the front brake more inboard and a standard 19" spoked wheel spokes hits the brake caliper. We have to design a skinny gun and a new rim so the spoke cross past each other at the rim. Its a major investment but were working on it. We hope to have them ready in January "
  11. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to find a set of rear racks that will allow me to use my Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags. While spending way too much time researching this I've discovered something interesting. SW-Motech has on their website a set of racks that look similar to the KTM mounts. The difference seems to be in how they mount to the bike. I'm hoping to attach two pictures that show the different mounting points. For you folks who have the KTM mounts, what do you think? Which version would be the sturdiest? hta_04_958_11000_4_xl.jpg pho_pp_nmon_95812912044_side_bag_carrier__sall__awsg__v1__63384.1583256511.1280.1280.jpg
  12. MattFromNCSD

MattFromNCSD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m running TKC80s for a few hundred miles now. Behave really well on the twisty backcountry roads so far (they wear fast so I’m paying a premium for that) - sand is pretty good, rocky parts of the trail I was real happy. Sand I was riding the tire tracks, had to cross the deep hump in the middle, lost momentum, started to pitch, went for throttle to power through and it went brp, brp, brp, nothing, down. My fault, should have been MTC off.
  13. ynguldyn

ynguldyn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Red liner likes this.
  14. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was my experience with sand and the MTC as well. Except im thick and it took a few goes to figure it out.

Honestly i would rather have the MTC off as a norm and have to activate it. Fast road launches in the dry with 805s have it activating in 2nd gear abruptly enough to make me lurch forward. Im hoping someone at some stage figures out how to root the dash so you can fiddle with it.
  15. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    The bike is a bit tall. I sat on a 390 adventure and only one foot was on the ground. The other was hanging in the air. Ok it's a light bike but its not enduro. I mean it should not feel taller than the 790 adventure. The 790 adventure has longer suspension travel the same ground clearance and still is lower. Considerably lower. A bit disappointed since in order to feel more comfortable I will need to get the lowering kit but that will reduce the ground clearance even more and the rear travel. I am 5 7 with 30" inseam.
  16. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look back in this thread not too far someone posted a link to a YouTube about shorter riders and tall bikes
  17. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    I know that there are techniques but when riding a motorbike is not just a hobby but everyday way of transportation then you want to have something comfortable where you are not anxious where to park etc. Anyways I will try a test ride but it is tall for shorter and inexperienced riders like me.
  18. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, and it probably won’t work. The new 310 gs is much shorter, give it a shot.
    Cigar likes this.
  19. SwampNut

SwampNut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I accidentally dropped the preload by one, when I wanted to increase it one. The bike got a LOT shorter! Huge difference. So much so that once loaded and I sit on it, the bike leans right with the sidestand down. There was still one more preload slot to go down. So this is clearly an easy option.
  20. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must admit this is the first time I have been tempted buy a KTM . Also a shorter rider , along with old and bad hips . The suspension travel is my main thought for the rougher stuff . But seeing the experiences with leaking forks at around 1,000 miles does not make me warm and fuzzy . Also the traction control is a little spooky . But given the chance to see one in person I will have to check one out .