390 Adventure owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by inroads, Jun 11, 2020.

1. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    One leaky fork seal is a non issue...
    It's a maintenance item

Traction control will soon have a dongle to select on the fly

Buy this bike...it's that good
    tech199 and hwy84 like this.
  2. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    BTW.... my intermittent oil light was coming on because of an oil drain plug filter put in backwards...
    Could have been the shop or it could have been the owner....ouch.
    motorock and wncstrada like this.
  3. SwampNut

SwampNut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've owned a LOT of motorcycles in my 55 years on the planet, and this one of the stand-outs.

A fork seal at 1k would be under warranty, no?
  4. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Initial valve check is @ 9,300 miles

Attached Files:

OleShep likes this.
  5. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Depends on your dealer and their relationship with KTM.

I would be surprised if they would cover that but it's worth a try.

KTM has a tough reputation when it comes to warranty items.
  6. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    On MPG...run hard with a load in the wind
    50 mpg

I consistently get 65-70 mpg running easily....(have been running in the 4-6k foot elevation which helps)

225-250 mile fuel range if ridden tamely.
    hwy84 likes this.
  7. SwampNut

Oddometer:
    I don't understand how it would not be covered. I guess I need to go read the warranty. I know they cover the battery, as one example of a "wear" item that's still covered. Just like automotive original warranties.
  8. hwy84

hwy84 Stuck in the snow Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're tempted, I'd say go for it!

Note: I'm one of the "leaky fork" guys, and also short (5'8" - 30" inseam).

My leaky fork issue has been totally fixed with a thorough cleaning of the dust boot/seal/fork. That process shouldn't have been necessary, but nothing is "broken" and it's not a fundamental flaw, methinks.

As a shorter rider, the bike is tall (I can JUST get both toes down) but it is so light, and carries it's weight so low, it is super easy to control with one foot down.

The short travel worried me a little as well - and I use all of the fork travel in really rough/rocky terrain. That said, I have never felt that terrible bottomed out feeling - The bump stops must really be something! Also the suspension is nice and stiff, and there is a lot of available damping. I am 185 without gear, easily 200+ with, and I just did ~1000 miles, with 100+ of those on dirt and rocky, sandy, shale-y trails with 4 days worth of gear on the bike as well - and it NEVER felt undersprung or underdamped.

Traction control is super easy to turn off, even while riding (Press and hold a button for a couple seconds with the throttle closed, and it is off). It'd be better to have it remain off, but it's not a showstopper for me.
  9. hwy84

hwy84 Stuck in the snow Supporter

Oddometer:
    I, too, do all my riding thus far between 4-10K feet (yay Sierra passes!) and get the same mileage:

50MPG when pushing between 65 and 85 MPH on the slab (with bags).

72MPG at 30-60MPH dirt and/or twisties.
  10. SwampNut

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fork covers (seal savers) would be a good investment? I had shopped them and didn't think they'd be important.
    hwy84 likes this.
  11. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Because a case could be made that it is a maintenance item...or

Abusive wheelies...ECT.
  12. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    BTW...my MPG calculations are based on actual numbers not the computer...
    I am finding the computer to be optimistic by about 4-5 %....

Speedometer is real close..I'm seeing that it indicates about 1-2 mph faster (@ 65 mph) than actual speed (GPS)
    Wambo and hwy84 like this.
  13. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    dont look at the Honda AT then, they need their fork tubes Changed besides leaking in short notice.
  14. willsy

willsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from Big Bend, TX, loved the bike (my first ride on it). All of my expectations for the bike were exceeded, super happy with it, except for the damn traction control. On more than one occasion after I had set it to Off, I'm riding, need throttle, nothing, its back on again - I hadn't stalled or stopped the engine, not sure what was going on there. What is this dongle of which you speak?

Also is KTM gonna have a software update to allow us to turn it off and leave it off until we turn it back on again. It is incredibly annoying to have to sit and play with the computer every time you stop, or after stalling etc. I just want a turn it off until I say otherwise option, like the ABS. Even better would be one option, offroad/onroad - turn off both in one go and doesn't turn back on until you switch it back.
  15. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    No idea of when I will get a chance to see one . A Microsoft guy bought multiple dealers about four years ago , including my favorite . He bankrupted all of them I believe . I currently have a 2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 for forest service and back roads . Out of the many bikes I have had it is the best all around bike and the funnest by far . I recently bought a Vulcan 900 Custom for the long hauls on the interstate . It would be nice to have a little more suspension , also do not know if I could handle a single . I thought my VStrom was as smooth as any farm implement . Too many V-4 Hondas is my problem . But given a chance I may have to go for a test ride , depending how far I would have to go for one .
  16. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Bazaaz makes a universal fit Traction Control dial that it's sensitivity is adjustable from -5 to +5 or switched off entirely.
    No plug and play out there yet.

There is even some fuel maps available so you can run down to 80 octane for those 3rd world countries.
  17. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    I have A Versys X 300 also and love it...my only complaint is it's lack of down low grunt
    Gotta spin those twins which makes me think that the 390 single may still be more desirable over the 490 twin for that reason whenever it shows up.
  18. SwampNut

Oddometer:
    Has anyone run a wire from the front of the bike to the back, and have advice or feedback on how annoying it might be?

I picked up a Garmin 700i GPS with built-in satellite communicator, the Garmin dock, and a Vanashe mount. The Garmin is absolutely HUGE, as is the dock. And the dock wiring has a box mid-length that's not super huge, but pretty big. The wire can't be shortened easily (obviously anything *could* be cut and reconnected). So I'm thinking about grabbing power from the rear ACC terminal. The front is a pain to get to, and it's super packed up in the headlight space you can reach. No room for this box.

The Garmin seems super impressive so far. Huge screen, very clear outdoors (but less clear indoors, oddly).
  19. A1VW2NV

A1VW2NV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Isn't the 700i a handheld? One would think you could not ride longer than the battery would last?
  20. SwampNut

Oddometer:
    The battery life on it is not great, and it would be insane to NOT charge it when you can. It's a safety device and communications device aside from being a GPS. It will be nearby and on when tenting it, for example. It WILL be powered when possible. Also, the power signal tells it to turn on/off so it will be convenient when just riding around town and having it self power.