3m 4411n sealing tape tubeless conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flynn_, May 21, 2016.

1. Flynn_

Flynn_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am putting this up here, this is a method originally posted in this supermotojunkie.com thread:

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?5090-Tubeless-for-under-10-00!!!!

This method uses the 3m 4412n or 4411n extreme sealing tape to tape over the spoke holes of a rim. I know there are already a fair few tubeless threads but this is about an actual conversion I have done and will report on it's progress.

First I prepped the rim. The following procedures were carried out:

1. Filing down the spoke hole (the bit that the spoke nipple screws into) to make it flatter for the tape

2. Cleanup with a wire wheel on a drill, but you can probably get it just as good with manual sanding

3. Roughening up the surface with 80 grit sand paper.

4. Cleaned with kitchen paper or anything else that is 100% clean before hand and isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is recommended on the 3m datasheet but I figure brake or clutch cleaner would do just as much of a good job.

100_2087.JPG

Once the surface has been done, I wrapped two overlapping layers of the tape in the opposite direction of rotation and one over that in the right direction overlapping at the valve hole.
    100_2089.JPG
    I figure it doesn't really matter which direction of rotation you wrap the tape in, or whether you do one big wrap or two or three small ones.

Also I did three layers all together but I figure two would be enough. The main thing is that the final layer should overlap at the valve hole so that when you screw the valve in it has the secondary function of holding the tape down as well:

100_2092.JPG

The biggest weakness I can see in this is the tape becoming unstuck at the edges of the drop centre and air leaking out from there.

This is only likely to come apparent after use though.

So far there have been no leaks at all from the wheel.

After a couple o months I plan to do the front one as well. Tubeless really is the way forwards!

The finished product with brand new sticky rubber:

100_2094.JPG
    Dracula, pops, WDG and 3 others like this.
  2. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Much like the Outex tubeless conversion.
    rebake likes this.
  3. Flynn_

Flynn_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I hear, the Outex kit is expensive. This tubeless conversion can be done with 3m tape which ran me £43 from 3m direct for two 5 metre rolls which is enough to do about 3-4 wheels, depending how careful you are with it.
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    And then Is only the little problem about the rim not having the proper profile to ACTUALLY Lock the bead of the rims so it does not slide out and looser air in a nanosecond..

Again Nobiggie..
    petertakov likes this.
  5. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    E6000 Cartridge /Goop will run less $15 or straight e6000 will run under $10. My setup has 3 years and 13K miles. Prep is the key.
  6. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    His rim in the picture DOES have the safety bead. :deal
    chevtech, WDG and Texas Aggie like this.
  7. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats the difference betwen 4411 og 4412, is one better than the other?
  8. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    4412n
  9. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm ready to try something, as I'm due for a rear tire on my spoked wheel Harley. It does have a safety bead.

The first post on that thread talks about silicone, then your method says use the tape. Kind of curious which method to go with now, or if it would be worth it to do both? Silicone the spoke nipples then add the tape over it?
  10. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    It really doesn't matter. Use both if it makes you feel better. I did this 10 years ago or so to my motard and those wheels hold air as well as any other tires I own. All I used was high-temp silicone. It is not difficult. The most angst came when drilling larger holes for the air valves.
  11. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you use the straight , threaded stems , you don't need to enlarge the holes.
  12. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    3M 5200 ($10 at HD). 35k miles and multiple tire changes....no leaks. Did have to enlarge valve stem hole by a mm or two. Tiger XC rim.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tape is considerably lighter than caulk.
  14. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Caulk? :lol3

Never used 5200 huh?

When you subtract the weight of the rim strip and tube you're way ahead either way.
  15. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glue , adhesive , sealer , whatever. It's thicker and heavier than the tape. Your goop is probably half the weight of a tube.
    Jud likes this.
  16. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Well, he said 35K miles, multiple tire changes, I doubt folks are doing this for the weight savings.

that 4412N tape is what, maybe 3x more expensive?
  17. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    E6000 is a cheaper version of Marine 5200. I used Marine 5200 on a rim that developed cracks. Both excellent products. I bought valve stems at an auto parts store. I had to enlarge the hole a mm or two. E6000 has a faster setup than Marine 5200. I also put Goop on each individual spoke(This takes 2-3 minutes a nipple, setup is 12-24 hours). Some people do, some people don't. I wire brushed the rim/spoke area and used denatured alcohol to clean. Easily less than $20 per rim. I can plug a flat in optimal conditions in less than 2 minutes. In less than optimal a while longer.
    I just dislike tubes.
    Night_Wolf and waylongway like this.
  18. Flynn_

Flynn_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tape is certainly a lot cleaner and less fiddly. What T posted is nice but will take longer and require more patience. I am just glad there are so many options.

originally I tried to do similar to T, although silicone over duct tape wrapped around the rim rather than in little spots. The silicone didn't adhere to the duct tape and just peeled off. If you want to try something like that use what T did or windshield sealant.

Although the tape ran me the equivalent to $55 for two rolls which was enough for about 3 wheels if you don't make any mistakes.

It refers to the thickness of the adhensive strip, 4412n is 2 millimetres, 4411n is 1 millimetre. Either one will do since you are wrapping it around several times.

On the thread I have done several short journeys now and the tape is holding well. I have pressure washed the wheel as well to no ill effect. Although water finding it's way through the spoke nipples and un peeling the tape does worry me somewhat, but it might be wrapped tightly to itself and bound so that it isn't relying on the adhensive to stay air tight anyway.
  19. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    I used cold shrink tape for my wheels , outstanding performance . A dab of silicone on each spoke so it can be adjusted if ever need be , allow it to cure then wrap the wheel with the cold shrink and let it cure than wrap with high quality duct tape to protect the shrink wrap .
  20. FatBob

FatBob aka blinkerbob! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two years and 12000 miles with a 3M 4412n sealed rear tire on my 800XC with zero problems!
    UncleRandy and Bar None like this.