3m 4411n sealing tape tubeless conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flynn_, May 21, 2016.

1. mda185

mda185 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the DR650 rim have safety bead on front and rear? I am interested in doing this to the stock wheels.
  2. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    3 years ago I couldn't find a correct fitting air valve( I didn't try real hard). Hence the reason for a valve stem from auto parts store.
    Since there are about 4 methods to seal your rim. When I did mine. I was very apprehensive. E6000/Marine 5200 harden quite nicely .
    The dirt bike guys seem to have a higher bar than the street bikes guys. I'm really it works with low pressure in the tires.
  3. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Good thread. I'm considering doing something like this for my 2001 Tiger.
  4. oldschoolsk8ter

oldschoolsk8ter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im not sure about the stock dr650 rims having a safety bead.

My supermoto rims are aftermarket excels with the lip on them.
  5. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those of you who've done this..... What are you using to seal the existing rim lock holes?
  6. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Kapt, don't have rim locks on my bike, but I'd be inclined to thread the holes and use some short, flat bottom set screws. You can get them as short as 1/4". They shouldn't protrude any further than the spoke nipples would. Use Loctite, of course.
  7. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a most excellent solution. Thanks!
  8. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    I was bored and doing some surfing when I came up with this for a 2005 DRZ400S: part# 09250-08013, CAP, BEAD STOPPER for $1.68 each. I ordered 6, in case I decide to do several bikes. Less work than tapping the rims...
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Man I wish I could still run my setup, but it kept getting dirty between the wheel and the bead, eventually letting air out. It really was nice to run 8psi Ave not worry about it
  10. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did my Excel wheels with this method about 3 years ago. Been holding air fine. I did the little sticky dots over the spokes...

[​IMG]

I used a right angle valve stem to make it easier to get a tire chuck & pressure gauge on them. The straight valve when it had tubes was a roya PITA. I did have to drill the hole out just a bit & I put a slight chamfer on the inside to match the nut that came with the stems.

[​IMG]

--Dan
    Magus likes this.
  11. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    I did my rear wheel last week. It hasn't been ridden on due to snow, but has held air which is a plus. I remember now how much I hate safety beads :bluduh

I just went with pieces of tape over the spokes - they'll never get adjusted anyway as the whole wheel is out of whack and the edges are a bit bendy. Hard impacts I guess :lol3 It took better than 2 hours to wire wheel years of duct tape off.
    Now, if I could keep the chain from munching on the edge of the tire I'd be golden. Wheel is already offset 1/2" to the right. This is a KTM530, and the swingarm is kind of a goofy casting that makes usual chain guides that I've seen not work.
    sealed wheel.jpg

supermotochain.jpg
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    looks like you just need a couple washers between the hub and sprocket to space it perfectly.
  13. miksu

miksu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better use a tire which stays wider than the rim. Another thing is to use the stock lame ass chain guard, it works well (but wears out quick) :D

Also the smr of the same era uses a small chain guide which fits that swingarm, but it wears out in no time at all.
  14. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    2 issues with that technique - there is only about 4-5mm between the sprocket and lower chain guide, and I really don't want the sprockets misaligned. I had thought of taking an old sprocket and having it turned down to use as a spacer but that's as far as that went.

I got the wheels used, and the rear was already pretty chewed up. I don't recall if he had a 150 on there or not, but that tire in the pic is a 160 Battlax S20. The KTM chain guide I had looked at as a cheap trial and I guess I'll order it to see if it works. I wanted to avoid drilling into the swingarm if at all possible. Hell, maybe get two guides, mount one top one bottom :lol3
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:

skin the right side axel spacer 2 or 3mm, then drop in the same amount washer between the sprocket and hub?

one more washer added you'll the left side spacer and you're done..... but it's a bit of a pita when you have to align the axel next time you change tires.... for me anyway.

(I'm dumb enough to think putting outdated sport bike wheels on a dual sport is a fun idea, just so ya know :-) before you get started)
  16. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Well, since I tweaked the wheel offcenter on the hub already i can't really spare any more room on the right :deal

Far as I know these are the ktm SM wheels. The front says Behr so I know it is, but the rear....mighta said something before numerous chains disfigured the rim :deal

If the guide doesn't work - not a big deal. I had a YZ426 that had a nice crosshatch pattern on the tire too. Ya probly don't lose that much. But I do wish this wheel was 4.5" instead of 5.
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:

ohhhhh, ok, you've done this a time or two. cool !

every sm I've seen has the XXXXX's on the tire, or it will as soon as they wear out that weird slider. mine does, I've had everything from a 110-70-17 to a 150, they all had the tattoo after a while.

too bad dirt bike designers weren't thinking about being a hooligan when they made these narrow ass swingarms !
    vwboomer likes this.
  18. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    It's apparently wider than the KX's. Fella I know had to get an older model kx swingarm which is a bit wider to just fit his ice tire on, and even that is damn close.

guide parts ordered today.
    ohgood likes this.
  19. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 160/60-17 on the back of my XR. I had to trim the chain guard for the tire , but the chain is about 3/8'' from the tire.
  20. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, some pictures. The rear has been on my bike for a week so far and no problems. The front I taped on Wednesday, mounted the tire yesterday and it's bee holding 50 PSI for a day now.
    [​IMG]
    Used the 1" tape on the front.
    [​IMG]
    I block the wheel so I can pull the tape tight as I apply it.
    [​IMG]
    I use a suitably sized rubber ball in to squeeze the bubbles out as I apply the tape. Don't try to comeback after you apply the tape to squeeze out the bubbles: it won't work.
    [​IMG]
    Had one just the right diameter for this wheel.
    [​IMG]
    A nice smooth application, no bubbles, two layers of tape. Even a good seam.
    [​IMG]
    Insert and tightened the valve down.
    [​IMG]
    Gorilla taped just the center portion of the rim so I won't contact the bead at all. I also used the same rubber ball to squeeze out the bubbles.
    [​IMG]
    Remembered to cut a vent hole for the valve.
    [​IMG]
    Tire mounted and holding 50PSI.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty much says it all.

UPDATE: rode about 200 miles on bad pavement twisties today, no dirt though. All is well so far.