3m 4411n sealing tape tubeless conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flynn_, May 21, 2016.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    So you guys that have done this are putting in the valve stem after taping rather than putting the valve stem sealing washer against the rim and then cutting an opening in the tape after taping?
  2. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the seal between the tape and the valve would be better if the valve is put through the tape and then sandwiching it with the rim.
    Put the valve in before the tape and you are just relying on the adhesive and the quality of the hole cutting to keep the air in.
    If you watch the OUTEX installation video around the 1'50" mark, the valve is put through the film so it uses compression to get the good seal.
    JCool likes this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I know from doing the tubeless method using epoxy you obviously just seal the valve against the rim using the included rubber gasket. That works fine. But, it seems the majority of tape users cut a hole in the tape last and the sandwich the tape with the valve.
  4. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anymore updates on this thread?
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not at the moment. I'm wearing down a K60 TT rear before I can convert my other rear rim and am waiting for Mitas to release the E07 Dakar 21" TL before I do my other front rim. I've got all the supplies ready and waiting.

My now tubeless rims are hanging in my basement with my more off-road tires set. I've been too busy to do much riding other than commuting as of late. But the wheels are still holding pressure after a number of months.
    Bar None and Mofrid like this.
  6. Bar None

Oddometer:
    I'd like to do this to my Ural rims when I need a new rear tire or have a flat.
  7. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do it in the safety, warmth and cleanliness of your garage/basement and not by the side of the road. Plus, a powerful compressor aids in seating the bead on a tubeless tire.
  8. C Squared

C Squared Now with TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Preparations and materials are in progress to do this to F and R G450X rims .
    Bar None likes this.
  9. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I recently did the rear rim on my DRZ400SM using 3M 4412N. It took me half an hour from start to finish (tire was already off the rim to replace a leaking tube). That's 1/2 hour to clean and degrease the rim (mineral spirits and isopropyl alcohol), install the tape (one layer with overlap at valve hole), insert the valve, install the tire, and inflate tire/seat bead. The rear SM rim has a safety bead, so should be as safe as any other 17" tubeless wheel. It went so quickly that I did not pause to take any pictures.

A 15' roll of 2" wide 3M 4412n tape cost $27 on Amazon. Angled metal valve stem was $5. So the entire conversion only cost a little more than replacing the tube would have. No more fighting to get the tube in straight and untwisted, nor having to worry about pinching it while installing the tire. I have enough 3M tape left over to do 2 more 17" wheels, so I could do 3 wheel conversions for less than the cost of 3 good inner tubes.
  10. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    that convinces me, Ill order the tape and do my DR650 rear rim when I replace the rear tire soon.
  11. Bar None

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ Please report back with your success or failure.
  12. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    I've always wondered about using silicone or some sort of pliable sticky 'tape' to do this to my bikes. Glad to know there's a viable option for it.

May try this once I finish wearing out my Bonneville's rear tire and on my XR250R when it needs the tires changed.
  13. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Over 20,000 miles and several tire changes with the 3M tape and still holding air. :ricky
    Paebr332 likes this.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    street miles or offroad?
  15. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    yes
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

liked!
  17. FatBob

FatBob aka blinkerbob! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nearly 4 years and 18000 miles with zero problems using 4412 tape!
    Paebr332 likes this.
  18. oldschoolsk8ter

oldschoolsk8ter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I mounted my tape, I cut a hole in the tape at the end for the valve stem to seal. I cut this hole large enough that the rubber gaskets for the valvestem did not touch the tape.

My viewpoint is the rubber valve stem gaskets are designed to seal against a hard surface and did not want an additional compressible member in the joint/sealing interface.

I also Left the wheels overnight in my heated house and then re-rolled the tape with a wooden dowel to ensure it was adhered everywhere before mounting.
    motocopter likes this.
  19. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Had any one used the tape successfully on a dr650 front wheel?

I do not think it had a safety bead, is it an issue?

Keep your lawsuit, tire exploding theories at bay I’m aware of the risks
    I simply want to know if it will hold air while riding the bike or not
  20. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    The 3M tape will hold air. If the DR front rim has a hole for a rim lock, you will want to plug it with something prior to taping.

Lack of a safety bead is an issue for safety, not for sealing. You are the only one who can decide if the risk of running a non-safety bead tire without a tube is worth it.