3m 4411n sealing tape tubeless conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flynn_, May 21, 2016.

1. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed report Fritz, Can you expand a little on the "strapping tape" used? I'm looking to add a little protection to the 3M tape next time I change the tyres out, mainly to protect it from my clumsy tyre change technique. In Oz we refer to strapping tape as that medical stuff you might use to wrap up a sore arm or whatever, is that what yours is? Or something different?

It's like what you call thongs and we call thongs to VERY different things:hmmmmm I've seen a lot of variations on the "tape to protect the tape", and am seeking all ideas possible.

Thanks in advance....
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use one wrap of Gorilla Tape over the 4412. Just a good quality duct tape.

Also, I've had no trouble mounting 21" fronts tubeless. Only three tires so far: K60, TKC80 and MotoZ Tractionator Adventure. All three were easy. No straps needed, just lots of RuGlyde and a decent compressor.
  3. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ErikDK likes this.
  4. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna do this on my old Zero but just to be anal I'm gonna true the rim and tighten all the spokes first.
  5. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea. I'm now leery about twisting the spoke nipples with a tire mounted. Scared I may break the seal and cause a leak while riding in the middle of nowhere.
  6. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Back a few years ago I remember some of the MX and trail rider types doing this but with some special paste that 3M makes. It comes in a can with a brush built into the lid that screws off. I forget what it was but my Dad used to use it to prep an underground cable repair before hitting it with the heat shrink.

anyway, they would wrap a layer of thin masking tape around the spoked UP SIDE DOWN first, then turn the tape over and stick it to itself. This way they could still true and tighten spokes without breaking the seal. Then they'd install the schrader and start the 3M paste stuff.
  7. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Longer term update.

So, I just pulled off a Mitas E-07 rear tire that had been on a converted rim since March. In that time it had seen almost 10,000 miles of service, including about 1,000 miles of desert heat towards the end of the trip. What I found was that the 3M tape was still totally adhering to the rim. The Gorilla Tape I covered it with had disintegrated. The GT silver paint and fabric is all in bits and pieces inside the tire. The GT glue is still firmly stuck to the 3M tape backing.

Lesson: skip the Gorilla Tape.

I've swapped 2 front tires on a converted rim, but each after less than 4,000 miles (couldn't stand the tires). No long days of desert heat. The Gorilla Tape on that rim was holding up fine.
  8. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update.
  9. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Would love to try this on my '18 Heritage Softail HD. Has anyone tried this yet on a heavier spoke wheel bike yet? If I remember correctly, the rims on this bike are proper for tubeless tires.

[​IMG]
  10. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Guzzi Stelvio isn't exactly a lightweight, tyres are tubeless 180/55/17 on the rear and 110/?/19 on the front I think. Rear sealed with tape and no problems so far (5K miles so far this summer)
  11. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm going to give it a try.
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

I know a few local guys with drz / ktm690 / Africa twin/ cruisers/that have done it, and love it.
  13. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to start this adventure today on my front G650GS 19" rim. Tire for it should be here Thursday. Thanks for posting this how to do on the forum.
  14. Wilde

Wilde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just took off my old tires and was going to do the conversion. However, I have doubts about my front rim. It has these little groves all along the inside vertical edge of the rim. Also, there's no safety bead, which apparently isn't the end of the world, but it's preferred, right? Do most front rims have safety beads?

Here's a picture of the grooves I'm talking about and a profile shot of the rim. Can anyone give me their opinion whether or not it's a good idea to try the conversion with this rim?
    [​IMG]
  15. pnhd65

pnhd65 renaissance man

Oddometer:
    I'm up to 6 sealed rims so far. I think they have all had these grooves.
    There have been several threads on this subject.
    All my rims have been sealed with either RTV or GE clear silicone. I've not developed leaks on spoke nipples, although, I've had some that would not hold air. Placed into tub of water, and shown no leaks.
    One thread was showing guys using slime in their tires after mounting, I did that on my last tire change and that rim/tire combo holds air just fine. Last tire, before that, no slime, wouldn't hold air.
    So, for me, I'm in the slime camp.
    I have yet to use the sealing tape, but I think I'd like to try that the next time I seal a rim.
    Good luck on your project. I've not hesitated to do 21'' front rims, I'll not chime in on it being a safety issue or not.
  16. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tape shouldn't touch the edges of the rims that the tires seat on. Just cover the ends of the spokes in the base of the rims, may need to narrow the tape a little if it extends too far up the sides.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

no, those don't have safety beads.

safety beads look like this, and keep the bead of the tire in place if it deflates.
    93R100R frontwheel.jpg

the indentions you see are to grip the edge of the tire and prevent it spinning in the rim when you clutch up a dank wheelie.
  18. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Youre not running a safety bead now, so why the concern with tubeless on the same rim? A tube at 0 psi will support the tire the same as no tube with 0 psi =)
  19. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Exactly. "Safety" bead needs to always be in quotes
  20. hell yeah i did that

hell yeah i did that n00b

Oddometer:
    How many people have successfully converted oem drz s wheels using the 3m 4412n method? I'm seriously considering doing it. I'm looking for a detailed method that anyone may have found and how long has it held up. I'm also interested in first hand experience with the tire coming off after doing the mod on oem drz s/e wheels. I'm also interested in how exactly having a blown out tube inside of a tire is any different than no tube at all. I'm looking for scientific evidence or a really good educated guess. I am not looking for info on any other type of wheel. Gracias, ride on.