1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

3nd Ride to Pioneer Town (Socal) 10/1/11

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by sito, Sep 12, 2011.

1. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a Pioneer Town ride unless someone get air lifted out!:huh Ami heal up fast buddy. Over all it was a nice weekend with all the making of an ADV ride.
    1. Crash in the sand in the first 10 mins and screw up my shoulder (Check)
    2. Everyone split and lose each other (check)
    3. Watch Biggie change a flat tire (3rd time is a charm):lol3 (check)
    4. Get home in the dark (check)

Good to see that we ADV riders take good care of a fallen rider. Looks like you all knew exactly what to do and Ami was in good hands.

+1 on what Mike said, I'm guilty of procrastinating :cry Going to order my brace tomorrow. :clap
  2. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And you wonder why I don't try to do this ride with you guys!

Good thoughts to Ami for health and healing
  3. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I have a new Leatt I'd be willing to part w/.
  4. KTami

KTami Dirt? I'm In...

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys for the support, BTW it happened when i was riding slow ' no rules in crashes':evil
    special thanks to Ittay, Ersin, Lior, Danny and the rest of the guys who stayed talked with 911 until i was evacuated and thanks for visiting me at the hospital yesterday. I must say - the Spot worked spotless!!, the chopper came in less than 15 min and the crew starting with the ranger, paramedics,doctors etc. were Amazing!!! I had a punctured lung from a broken rib, it seems I fell on good size rock which penetrated the protection so three ribs broke and on of them punctured a small hole in the lung. The air created pressure and the lung collapsed. so... they inserted a tube to release the pressure. Liver, kidneys, and the rest of the vital organs are fine and i can truly say I've got lucky. five minutes ago they pulled the tube out of my lung and I will leave the hospital tomorrow, according to the doctors its fully recoverable. i must mention it again as I was so impressed with the speed and professional care of the medical crew, hope non of you will never need to experience that.

THANK YOU ALL:clap:clap:clap:clap
  5. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Great news!:clap
  6. sopascat

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you, Ami. So glad it wasn't worse.
  7. pjh66

pjh66 lost in the sauce Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get well soon Ami:devildog
  8. ITAY

ITAY n00b

Oddometer:
    :freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky
  9. ITAY

ITAY n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks man :freaky:freaky:freaky:1drink:1drink:D:D:clap:clap:clap:clap:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky
  10. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good to hear that man. If only the 911 opperater was not so confusing.

but a question on the spot. i know you hit it, but did any of the emergency personal say anything about seeing it?
  11. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    They don't ever see "it".
    The SPOT people (GEOS) make the phone call to local resources and are dispatched like they would be any other call.
    SPOT is a third party.

Did 911 send help, or did SPOT?
    Maybe both in this case?

Based on the photo w/ the Reach helicopter, I'm guessing SPOT had something to do w/ it.
    Although it's been a few years since I was seeing this type of thing a couple of times a month, airships in that area were sheriff, CHP or Mercy Air.
  12. ITAY

ITAY n00b

Oddometer:
    i think the spot didn't work , no one of the emergency crows said anything to do with the spot ,and i push it on the 911 button and the help button and i hold it for 3 second and follow the instruction on the back of the unit and i can't rely tell if it is connect to any emergency personal :dizave
  13. Greezy_Dave

Greezy_Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Missed the pack for the pioneer town ride... got to camp too late after catching some killer deals on some much needed gear down the hill at chaparral. Still got a chance to run some trails around camp for a while before catching up with some guys back at crab flats and hearing all about KTami's exploits on the trail. KTami—we didn't get a chance to meet, but good luck, and hopefully I'll see you out on the trail soon enough.

Rode over to the back side of bear mountain w/ luv2race and BajaRider650 this afternoon... good riders, good weather, good times.
  14. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    This is easy to check from his SPOT page. Maybe after things calm down Ami can log in and make sure the unit did signal out.
  15. sopascat

Oddometer:
    Was 911 contacted by phone or in some other way in addition to the spot being activated?
  16. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Sounds (and looks) like there was cell signal.
  17. ITAY

ITAY n00b

Oddometer:
    verizon wireless did work
  18. sopascat

Oddometer:
    Then that would have reached 911 first
  19. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    SPOT will generally make confirmation calls back to the listed numbers on the account first. If not successful in contacting the account holder then I believe they start calling the emergency numbers listed on the account.

The Reach chopper still has me wondering, though. Maybe they are active in that area now.
  20. sopascat

Oddometer:
    We're in danger of turning this into another "how does SPOT work/not work?' threads

Explain to me the Reach helicopter, though