3rd Pahrump NV Rally Nov. 2-5, 2017

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Apr 8, 2017.

1. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Got back from the Pahrump rally at about 12:30 yesterday, bike won't idle, lost my key for 3 hours on Saturday morning (I keep it on it's own keyring and it somehow got caught up in the liner of my jacket, which I had put in my bike luggage that morning), but apart from that it was a great time.

Thanks for the raffle prizes, much obliged to the sponsors all around.
    How many people there for dinner Saturday? 70?
    We had enough food for 200 easy.
    Ribs, brisket, salmon, chicken, salad, potatoes, beans, mac and cheese, empanadas, cheese cakes, brownies, it was a stupid amount of food.
    Thanks to Jimmy Lewis for the mini lesson on Friday and setting up a riding skill game.

Losing my key made me miss the group ride I signed up for and my bike not idling right was shit. (Stepper motor problem. Have the fix for it on my bench, but tearing apart a bike I paid that much for to fix it really is a pisser.) I did the Titus Canyon loop solo to see if I would catch the group, but no luck.
    And @Baldy , good thing you had the sense to pass on that, it would have been a miserable experience two up.
    Windy and quite a long ride... It's easy to forget how vast the distances really are in Death Valley (and southern Nevada in general).
    When on the gas my bike was fine, but close the throttle and it died.
    Puts a damper on riding around town and trails. Oh well.
    In other news, I got plenty of practice starting my bike! :bluduh

Excellent job Joel, thank you, good to see everyone, next year I'm going to make it out on Thursday and get in a couple of loops, like last year.
    Special thanks to @dunerat and his missus for the hospitality, too. :thumb
  2. RuckusRider2

RuckusRider2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made it back to Eugene by midnight after hitting a serious snow storm north of Susanville. Glad I was trailering my bike and not riding it!

I had such a great time hanging out with everybody and doing some fantastic rides, thank you Joel and all the generous volunteers!

I especially enjoyed meeting and riding with DesertJul and her gang on Saturday to the Coliseum Mine, great ride teamwork and leadership! I hope to see most of you again next March at the Noob Rally!
    Spank, drmiller100, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  3. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I can't be the only one that saw this and thought

[​IMG]

"If I told them once, I told them a hundred times: Put Spinal Tap first, and Puppet Show last."
    wozza, Spank, JMo (& piglet) and 9 others like this.
  4. advmoto66

advmoto66 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Great Job on an excellent group gathering, Learned some new stuff at the JL Class and I was able to find my way back home to Phoenix thanks to the wonderful gift that Joel donated to the raffle. #Montana680
    Spank, GalacticGS and NSFW like this.
  5. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, my rally began when I walked out to the deck to see rain running down the street. That should be fun with new knobbies that are slicker than snot on a glass doorknob on dry pavement. Cold wet pavement should be even more fun! Crossed up and slidin' :muutt

Maybe not. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    I left later. I was already two days later than I'd wanted thanks to my back tweaking. Growing old sucks in many respects. :gerg
    Spending an hour looking for your glasses that are in the case you put in your backpack. While looking through the backpack four times. :baldy
    :doh

So, I hit the freeway. The 5 was the usual; full of apparent first time drivers and definitely first time in the wet. THough it would help if they got off the phone and actually looked outside the vehicle at least once in awhile. <rant off>:1drink

GPS led me to Pahrump. The big KTM was comfy for a while then I began noticing the seat. :imaposer
    I should ride more. By the time I made the turn at Baker I'd exceeded my longest ride since retiring. Yes, I should have time to ride. There just hasn't been enough time to ride. How did I ever find time to go to work when I had a real job? :jack
    Anyway Headed to Shoshone, then followed the nice lady's British voice on the GPS to the wrong ATM that cost me $2.50 to use.
    No big deal I found the right one the next morning. :baldy

I pulled up on the grass near the registration and Kim heard me muttering under my breath. :imaposer:gerg
    She got me all checked in and loaded up with tumblers and t-shirt. (The ATM stop made this easier). :lol3
    Then off to find the area stuffed full! :yikes

[​IMG]

I pitched camp waay down there at the end.
    [​IMG]

Note clean adventure bike. :jack
    I wandered off in search of food and water over at Albertsons. You know being a true adventure old fart. Found some wraps of some sort and jugs of water. Back to my chair and wait for dark so I can sneak off for a nap. :snore
    [​IMG]

End of Thursday.
    Spank, DirtyADV, Steve G. and 4 others like this.
  6. cycleTown650

cycleTown650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Joel, all the volunteers, and awesome people that supported this event. It was another great event with delicious food and lots of fun riding.

For those that missed the opportunity to sign up for KELIAS VISOR CLEAR project that Joel helped me introduce on Saturday, please PM me so that I can add you to the email pre-order list.
  7. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Sorry you missed the Titus ride too but there was only two of us that ended up going and we were hauling the mail!
  8. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Did I pass you guys? I passed two guys on GS'es in the middle of Titus, they were stopped messing about with an espresso machine. :razor
    I saw a couple of other bikes parked next to a van right at the exit of Titus where it opens up to the desert floor.
    I also saw a trio of bikes making up their mind whether to head to Furnace Creek or hit Daylight Pass to Beatty.
    Looked like they were headed to Beatty, I continued on to Furnace Creek as they made the left off Scotty's Castle road.
  9. DESERTJUL

DESERTJUL ?!

Oddometer:
    I had a great time at the rally, even if I only did one ride lol. After a leisurely start to my weekend on Thursday and two failed ride attempts on Friday, Sat's ride was great. I had a great group of riders join me for my Collosium Mine ride. I didn't take many pics but here are a few. IMGP1360.JPG IMGP1363.JPG IMGP1369.JPG IMGP1371.JPG
  10. DESERTJUL

DESERTJUL ?!

Oddometer:
  11. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got in three really great rides in totally new to me country :clap

Thursday Ride with Rich, Diego, and Rob.
    Lovell Pass, Rocky Gap, Pioneer Saloon, Sandy Valley
    [​IMG]

Friday ride with Rich, Diego, and Rob.
    Last Chance, Eagle Mtn, Deadman Pass, Willow Spring, Shoshone, China Garden, Mesquite Valley
    [​IMG]

Saturday ride with Rich, Diego, Rob,Tom, John, Todd, Grace, Cliff, Fletch, and i'm missing one more :scratch
    Wheeler Pass, Indian Springs, Mount Stirling, Miss Kathy's, Ash Meadow, Stewart Valley
    [​IMG]

All my pics here > https://rider914.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Adventure-Rides/2017-Pahrump-Rally/
    On a plane to Brazil crazy early tomorrow morning with sketchy internet for the next few weeks.
    Leaving it up to my riding partners to fill in the ride reports :deal

-M
    Spank, Steve G., HBSURFDAD and 5 others like this.
  12. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next year needs to be top billing :nod
    [​IMG]

-M
  13. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    We were on a 950 and 990. We did Chloride Cliffs Rd and Saw lots of traffic and some carnage in Titus Canyon. Rode to Funace Creek for lunch, Artist Pallete, Bad Water, Jubilee Pass, Furnace Creek Rd to Shoshone and back to camp.
    Spank likes this.
  14. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Where did you eat at Furnace Creek? Looks like the saloon / pizza joint / cafe has all been demolished to me?

I stopped at Furnace Creek for a beef jerky and water lunch int he shade of the Cottonwoods, at the picnic table near the gas station...

[​IMG]
    Spank likes this.
  15. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    The golf course burger and beer bar is still open. It’s behind the gas station. Right down the driveway between the gas station and the trees

There is also the Indian Taco shop a little further down the road on the reservation. Can’t see it from the main road but they have signs directing you there.
    Spank and CA Stu like this.
  16. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friday morning I got out of bed and decided to go for a walk for breakfast. I ended up at Mom's Cafe. I had a skillet but could not finish it. I had about half. Met Bill and Ryan. Good times. Wandered back to camp where we milled around thinking about what I might do. Joel suggest a ride. I thought a ride sounded good.
    No, I had no idea where we were going. I had a couple of cliff bars packed and water so I was set.
    We finally got all the cats lined up and we took off it turns out in search of a road that can't be seen easily from the street and definitely can't be seen from the wrong street. And if you're looking in the wrong place on the wrong street its a pretty good guess you're not going to see it I don't care how good your Superman sight is. :lol3

I think Joel was looking for sign of the trail.
    [​IMG]

We decided to take the wrong trail, but we didn't know that yet.
    We knew we were taking a trail we just didn't know it was wrong.

I'd been here before last year. Not lost that time, but on this trail. I knew where I was. In fact we all knew where we were. Problem was we didn't know where the road was that would take us to our destination.
    I still didn't know the destination.
    I had my cliff bars, water and fuel and I knew where food, beer and fuel were from where I was.
    "What me worry?" :imaposer

These guys pointed us in the other direction,
    [​IMG]
    I was having fun, so I was fine.
    We got back on the pavement headed back the way we'd come, then took 160 south. I had not been down here before.
    Fast.
    Saw some sheep on the far side of the road. I couldn't dig my camera out so no pictures.

We got to a Chevron I filled the 990 not knowing when I'd see another one. Joel found the road or a road he figured would take him where he wanted.
    I know knew where we were going. But, by now I was really hungry, beginning to get cold and my back was protesting my being upright for too long. When Joel and Vern turned for Sandy Valley I throttled up and headed back to camp. Burger King snagged me for a bit, but I wrestled myself away before I got drowned in soda. Made my way to camp grabbed water and ate the burger and fries. Inhaled might be a more apt description. I added one aspirin to combat the headache that fired up with the hunger.

[​IMG]

Then walked to the store for more water and something for dinner. I found a boxed salad with apples, red onion and walnuts.

I had a short nap to rest my back and then Jimmy's demo was on.
    [​IMG]

Then I had my salad.
    [​IMG]
    Looking at it in that photo it sort of looks like it is stuff I found in the grass. :imaposer

Then to bed.
    Spank, DirtyADV, cycleTown650 and 4 others like this.
  17. Trailer Rails's wife

Trailer Rails's wife Is that what you're wearing? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi there! Is anyone still in the area and happens to ride a BMW or know where to find parts? Husband is in Death Valley and is in need of a rear wheel for his BMW R1200. 17". Spoked or cast aluminum. Thanks!
    falcn likes this.
  18. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Sally really means ....

PLEE-EASE HELP!!!

BUT - situation is now in hand I believe according to Ms. Trailer Rails.

23168010_10213275217408838_3106131653134261141_n.jpg
    Team Vegas, CA Stu and Blaise W like this.
  19. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    sorry to hear about your situation. there's only one GSA 1200 rider in out event. you may want to post on the West Regional or contact Las Vegas BMW (Euro Cucles)...(702) 454-6269

hope you find a solution.
  20. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you to Joel, all the event organizers, and the ride leaders! A lot of work went into the event, and I do appreciate it!
    We made it home - blizzard in southern Oregon/Idaho, but we persevered.
    It was a great time!
    Spank, NSFW and Blaise W like this.