4,000km Ride Report-Capetown to Kruger

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by HighRustler, Feb 13, 2020.

1. HighRustler

HighRustler Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first post to ADVRider and first time in Africa! I was searching for an easy-entry into the Adventure World in Africa and read a post by Mike Botan about a Malaga-based company, MotoAdventours, run by a CZ woman, Hana Ptackova and her husband David Mather. The trip was fantastic in all aspects and exceeded my expectations. The roads, both hard surface and dirt were excellent, as were all the people I met during the two weeks of adventure through SA, Lesotho and Swaziland. I definitely rank Africa and in particular this trip as high on The Bucket List for anyone with a taste for adventure.

I flew into CPT in late January 2020 and met the other riders the following morning. There were six in all, not including Hana who was the TL and guide. Her husband David ran sweep in the truck carrying our gear.
    We spent 12 days riding with three rest days for safaris in various parks and reserves which were all excellent. Accommodations, meals and routes were superb. There was no 'roughing it' on this adventure.

Everyone we came in contact with was helpful, courteous and positive. One of the highlights of the rural afternoons was seeing the schoolchildren in their uniforms walking home and waving enthusiastically to us as we passed. The smiles and cheers of welcome were amazing. Our weather couldn't have been much better with only one afternoon of showers in the mountains of Lesotho.

I was sad to say goodbye to Africa, the wonderful people and hope to return with my son in tow soon.

Flying high over the Sahara at FL370. This scene went on for over 2 hours!
    IMG_0002.jpg

View from Franschhoek Pass, South Africa. IMG_0031.jpg

Gondwana Nature Reserve. Apprx 75,000 acres near the Garden Route, SA. IMG_0038.jpg

View from Swartzburg Pass looking toward Prince Albert IMG_0044.jpg

Eden District Road, Near Plettenburg Bay, SA IMG_0046.JPG

Eden District Farm, SA IMG_0048.jpg

Village Settlement near Quthing, Lesotho IMG_0055.jpg

Maletsunyane River Gorge, Lesotho IMG_0056.jpg

Schoolchildren walking home. One of the most rewarding aspects of the trip was seeing the enthusiastic waving children on their way home from school. IMG_0067.jpg

Maletsunyane River Gorge, Lesotho
    IMG_0075.JPG

Attached Files:

Tau Anvil, racer187x and Essbee like this.