4 bikes left, 2 returned. The Anza "figure it out" tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by inte, Apr 10, 2006.

1. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    Much in the same way Gilligan & friends showed the world how something seemingly uncomplicated as a three-hour tour can become dire, the past 48-hours or so showed how a simple overnight ride can serve up a whole lot more than the participants bargained for.

The ride was a typical ”hey, let’s check this road out” trip … despite GPS & forest service maps, the adventure really did begin when things stopped going as planned.

I started out by replacing the chain on the 950 the day before…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It started out tranquil enough. DJ all suited up, met wageslave (who was only going out for the day).

[​IMG]

In the short span of time it took them to reach us, I understand WageS had a couple adventures … I’ll have to let DJ explain that as he was the only witness…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After DJ & WS had their little “warm up” run, we all met at Irv Seaver & planned on starting the ride from there.

Happened to run into this guy there as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first time meeting the man himself. Right off I can see how he manages to get in & out of the places he does…seems like the most personable guy on the planet. Black Belt(s)? in martial arts doesn’t hurt either …

After hanging around Irv Seaver for a bit, we hit the road, and right away, hit the traffic:

[​IMG]

My view from the median of the freeway offramp provided the last shot :D

[​IMG]

Eventually we got offroad out near Beaumont and went searching for some trails, but they all pretty much dead-ended, forcing us to improvise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The views were nice though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While DJ & I consulted the map, WageSlave decided to go & get into some trouble… :lol3

[​IMG]

No audio unfortunately … otherwise you could have heard DustJunkie yelling, ”don’t pick it up yet” as I was pulling out my camera…

It was shortly after this that WageSlave had to bail out. We were heading into the unknown & we pretty sure we wouldn’t be off the trail by dark.

Bike #1 gone … not serious, but might as well start the count someplace … :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped & when the pause got to long between riders, started back …

[​IMG]

Turns out I had blown by one of the turns in the trail. We were on a fireroad, and DJ’s map showed this other line off to the right as being a trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1st part of the trail wasn’t so bad … a little rocky, but just a slow roll down the thing.

[​IMG]

Then it got steeper:

[​IMG]

Before long, the dirtbike tracks we had seen at first stopped … far to steep at this point to turn around, so we continued on…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note dustjunkie & salcar in the background:

[​IMG]

I was waiting parked at the edge of the next drop. Trail goes down to the left & you can see the twisty line in the background we’re aiming for.

[​IMG]

Time to work on braking technique:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a little rock on this hill … and they were ALL loose.

[​IMG]

Some of them didn’t want us to leave…

[​IMG]

So the carnage begins…

[​IMG]

So let it continue…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My bike sitting on the edge of the next drop in the distance:

[​IMG]

DustJunkie stopped … notice the rock that kicked loose & rolled under to highside his skidplate…

[​IMG]

No worries…

[​IMG]

Once I started down that drop pictured earlier, there wasn’t any stopping until I hit the bottom … no pics sorry. I got to the bottom of the hill only to find a brief flat spot & realize…

We have to climb out.

[​IMG]

Turns out it wasn’t as bad as it looked … just don’t let off the throttle until you’re past the top.

Looking back I got a good view of what I’d just come down … & what DJ & Salcar are still coming down (visible in the photos if you look closely – dead center, about 2/3 up in the photo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trail on the left side of the panorama:

[​IMG]

This is where I shot the pic above of the climb out. Took this photo from the top of that same climb. Drop into this & use the speed to carry you up the other side.

[​IMG]

Dustjunkie getting silly on the 1150:

[​IMG]

Up the other side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there is was a rutted fireroad out to about 2 miles of pavement.

By the time we hit the bottom of the hill it was pretty much dark. From there we hooked up with the “Hixson Trail”. Started out as a tight, rocky singletrack. After what we had done, this was a break – even in the dark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The “relaxation” didn’t last long however.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using logs to help fill up a rut:

[​IMG]

Didn’t keep the cylinder heads out of trouble though…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn’t all that was getting into trouble…

[​IMG]

DustJunkie was cold…

[​IMG]

So we split for camp…

[​IMG]

Rolled in & got setup by sometime after midnight.

Sitting around making dinner we were all discussing how mellow by comparison we figured the ride tomorrow would be…

…if only we’d known.
  2. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk

<b>
  3. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    Hello INTE......

Where ya wishing for the trials bike on a few of those hills?
  4. inte

Oddometer:

Not so much these ... the next day's however ...

The 950 makes some pretty nasty noises when you zap it up rocks.

Doesn't sidehop so well either, but it can be done.
  5. inte

Oddometer:
    No idea what's going on with the images. Just setup a new server - the images are there, but for some reason, so will appear & others won't.

I may have to transfer everything over to a new server...
  6. inte

Oddometer:
    Images all fixed ... transferred everything over to my regular server.
  7. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    ...loose enough to kill all traction and yet rocky enough to eat bike parts... I like reading about that... :D
  8. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Beautiful report.
  9. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    Not sure who this guy was but he wanted to take a picture with me…:rofl
    [​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>while getting ready to leave IRV Seaver this guy came up to me and asked about my foot pegs. i talked to him briefly but didn’t pay to much attention. While he was leaving he told me “good job with that tree!”… … how did he know about the tree incident? If you are reading this let me know your ADV name.
    <o:p></o:p>
    </o:p>[​IMG]
    Dustjunkie first motorcycle failure. The spring for the center stand came off. After a little bit of trying I offered my help. Bad idea – while trying to pull the spring with a set of pliers I lost the grip and my hands ended up against the foot pegs and scratched the skin off my fingers.
    [​IMG]
    Selfportrait: I was exhausted after having to pick up my bike approx 5 times down the steep mountain. I blame it on the bold rear tire which didn’t provide any traction going down or up the mountain.

[​IMG]

But I think my <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Dakar</st1:City></st1:place> was feeling worse than I was.
    [​IMG]
    A series of new scratches were made and both blinkers were broken. the destruction of the Dakar had officially started!
  10. odonnks

odonnks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looked GREAT !!

I'd live to do a ride like that !!
  11. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:

NOOOOOOO!!!!
  12. Grey Matter

Grey Matter Right Wing Conspirator

Oddometer:
    Great stuff guys. Meeting the Viking must have been pretty cool.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  13. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Holy shit, guys. My ass was puckering just looking at those pics!! :eek1

FYI -- an easy trick with a spring like that is to put quarters (or other spacers) inbetween the individual coils til it gets to the length you need to reinstall it (vs. fighting with pliers, etc). :thumbup
  14. inte

Oddometer:
    The next morning we awoke to an amazing beautiful campsite. Dustjunkie had been here before, but I had no idea what I was riding through in the inky blackness earlier that same morning.

[​IMG]

My setup after making breakfast & starting to pack up:

[​IMG]

All of us:

[​IMG]

Dustjunkie:

[​IMG]

Salcar:

[​IMG]

Packed & ready:

[​IMG]

Before leaving, I took a quick walk around&#8230;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old county road &#8211; in use until just a few years prior to 1958 (see plaque above &#8230; if it&#8217;s legible)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old mail stage route:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old county road going off to the right, mail stage route to the left:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. inte

Oddometer:
    We we just getting ready to pull out &#8230; engines warmed & everything, when Salcar noticed Dustjunkie&#8217;s tire looked low:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BMW plug to the recue &#8230; more or less:

[​IMG]

Hole patched, or at least as good as it was going to get, we were off. Stopped at the little local store for some water (not nearly enough as we would later learn), and snacks&#8230;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got on the trail & were having fun drifting through the sandy corners &#8230; until we came to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A go-around was possible, but so was tossing a loaded 1150 into the side of the guy&#8217;s truck. We opted to stay & help. In the end we probably just upset the guy running around laughing & taking pictures&#8230;

It was not a bad spot to be stuck FWIW&#8230;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once he got unstuck &#8230; we were off. Into the abyss in more ways than one.

The road to destruction always looks inviting don&#8217;t it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. inte

Oddometer:

Try refreshing or clearing your cache ... I was having problems with a new server, so I transferred everything over to my regular one & everything seems to be working from my end.

There are a couple animations with can affect a slow connection ... possibly causing a timeout :dunno ...

Anybody else getting red x's?
  17. oenninger

oenninger n00b

Oddometer:
    I just refreshed the page a couple of times. Took a while to download (even on T1 at work) but all the pics turned up.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice report. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice pics. Niiiiiiiiiiice riding...didn't see the 1150 on the side once. Can it be?
  18. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

They're all there. Loading slow, but there. :thumb

Good shit! :lurk
  19. inte

Oddometer:
    So the truck gets out & we start down that road pictured above. It really was as fun as it looked.

More so. Banked turns, great weather, amazing scenery &#8230; perfect to be out in the desert.

So much so that when I hit &#8220;the squeeze&#8221; it didn&#8217;t strike me as anything other than a part of the trail. Rode down it & stopped just before the bottom to scope out what I was on.

DustJunkie came though next & rolled down it like it was his driveway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Salvador next:

[​IMG]

One of them dang rocks had his name on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jake missed me going down &#8230; so in true advrider fashion, the only thing to do was to go back up &#8230; 1st Salcar ran up to get pics:

[​IMG]

and I came following after&#8230;

[​IMG]

Note the compressed forks below, you had to &#8220;zap&#8221; the bottom a bit, bounce the forks off the rock & then come down on this one &#8211; seemed to be the cleanest way to clear the little gap in the rock you see between my tires:

[​IMG]

Easier to see in the sequence &#8211; you can see the bike head in going right & sort of hop over so it&#8217;s heading left&#8230;

smack the lower part of the rock & it skips the bike to the right &#8211; as soon as you get over the top if the front wheel hits the top of the 2nd rock, the bike will skip back to the left so you don&#8217;t ram into the side of the wall.

I gotta send the forks off to precision conecpts though. Makes a heck of a noise when you smack into stuff like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was back down:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

&#8220;The Squeeze&#8221; held something of a legendary status in our minds & I remember Dustjunkie mentioning something about being let down - probably because he just took a quick glance & rolled down. My vote is if the you & the bike are still rolling after whatever you&#8217;re doing it&#8217;s good &#8230;

&#8230;any rate, be careful whenever you feel like you want a bit more challenge &#8211; y&#8217;aint gonna outdo the desert&#8230;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to obstacle #2...
  20. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    great report Inte - photos are working, but slowly.

well done :thumb :thumb