4 corners and a float

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Gusgus, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    This is the thread where I will begin to tell the story of my ride to Nova Scotia and around the Lesser 48 (no offense)
    I will try to keep it updated and with current pictures.
    None yet, but very soon I will begin the build up to leaving on the 15th of September 2007.
    I am planning on being on the road for approximately 6 to 8 weeks.
    Parts are arriving, and stuff is being delivered. The bike is not ready, and I am not feeling like it is really going to happen.
    Figures doesn't it!
  2. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    well if you get to this one give a shout, I know where the good chow is.
    :1drink
  3. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll be arriving in Bellingham in late October or early November. I'll get in touch with you when I get it nailed down to exactly when, That actually means in Late October or early November.:nod :ricky
  4. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    GusGus,

Ride through the PNW in Oct. or I won't see you (Ireland for Nov & Dec :wings).

Sounds like a great ride. :thumb
  5. rob-pa

rob-pa Geronimo

Oddometer:
    Gusgus,

Let me know if you are coming through Denver, I wouldl love to put you up and feed ya.

rob
  6. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Rob thanks for the invitation and I very well may be there. But until I know I am a few days away I am not certian when and how long I will have to see friends.
    So I will with your approval carry your contact info and maybe I can make it all come together.

I am now in the middle of doing some special fixes on the GS for the ride.
    I have a throttle cable issue I am working on resolving.
    Plus a broken bracket in the duckbill area, which will require some welding. Then maybe I can get my friend Friar to put some tires on the beast for the beginning of the trip.

Here are some pics from this evening.........:topes

[​IMG]

I hope to be riding the bike soon!

[​IMG]
  7. rob-pa

rob-pa Geronimo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know what you mean about traveling and trying to get some where, it can be hard to have the stopping a visiting piece involved.
    But none the less, please take my info with you, so if you come through the Denver area and need anything you can call me. Like I said, "if you need a place to crash, and some food it is yours," but it is not limited to those things. It would be a pleasure to help you in anyway that I could. Just contact me a head of time and I will try to help.
  8. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Robb, I will include it in my info.

I finally found the intake tube which disappeared from view. It was in plain sight if I was siting on the roll around stool, in just the right place, although I wasn't looking as if I had to sit to see it. The search consumed 3 hours of looking, I even emptied the shop garbage can...:scratch

I was going to buy a new intake but the web site wouldn't allow me to do so, because it didn't cost enough. A minimum cost to order rule, or I might have had 2 intakes. :thumb
  9. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I finally got the new pants I wanted and am still building the route on my travel laptop. which should be easy enough to load on the GPS and see how far I deviate from it. The fun will be in having enough reasons to avoid the route completely. But since the tent space thread, much of my route will be pre planned, although camping isn't all that much fun. I still intend to give it a eagle scout attempt.
    I do have places pretty much set for about 1/3rd of the ride, until Nova Scotia, anyway. A couple places south on the eastern seaboard, yet far from set up.
    The trouble right now is my inner ear issues. I came down with a Virus in my inner ear. It really sucks. But I am getting better, just very slowly.

Find me on the road by this.......
    Except the license plate tag is now renewed and a couple more stickers.

[​IMG]
  10. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    my 22 year old son has been working on the bike and helping me get around by driving Mr. Daisy in my truck. Since my car broke on the way home last week.
    He is getting lots completed with my required information and Dad speak.

He is getting ready to fiberglass a tool box under the aft seat. the forms are built, yet do require some final prep for them to be ready to glass.

The bike is going togather as well. Thanks son....

[​IMG]

Tool box molds

[​IMG]
  11. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I made the ride to my buddies place and he is installing the new tires for the first leg of the trip. Yea!

I have the bike fully assembled and ready for all I give it.

Below is the before picture;

[​IMG]

Then after my son and I toiled for the past couple of days

[​IMG]
  12. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:
    whoo hoo! see you in a month or so, eh? :D
  13. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright Don! Keep us up todate on the ride. Bear
  14. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Rode in to work from Big Lake yesterday. It is the first time this summer the GS has been ridden any distance. Lots that needed to be fixed. The bike did well enough although it did highlight some adjustments which need to be made.
    One such adjustment was at my Chiropractor....:bow

He showed quite alot of interest so I offered it to him for a spin. He jumped at the chance.

A great Doctor, a great guy, so off he went.

About 20 minutes later he came back, smiiiiilin!

[​IMG]

I will ride it to work again today, since every cage I have, has an issue! It is so tough to have to ride the bike...:oscar

Nice weather, nice bike, off to work I go...
  15. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should have you covered Gusgus :wink: Also scoped out some great places in Cape Breton over the last 2 days that I think you'll like, as well as a route through the interior of the mainland that will give you a break from slab riding if you want.
  16. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:

WOW, that's cool.

Thanks for scoping it out.

A friend from Mass, might be joining me for some of the ride. He is going to be riding with me from Vermont to NS and back down to Mass.

His inclusion will make a schedule more important. But we should be good for 3 or 4 days in NS.

We are hammering out the details. He rode to Alaska a couple of years ago.
  17. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    The job is getting to be a drag, and life around the homestead is also becoming a big ordeal. I think I need a vacation!

More stuff came in the past few days. I ordered a pair of heated (lightweight) gloves, from A&S BMW in Roseville, since Gerbing was out as well and wouldn't accept the order until they were in stock again. Well according to the shipping document They arrived 2 days ago. I opened the box to a small pair of heated pants, NO GLOVES! I sent an email right then, no answer as of yet. The pants will look funny on my hands.

A few other items I was needing are now in place. The bike is doing very well after 650 miles on the speedO since the awakening, the single issue is surging. I didn't do as well as I should have setting up the throttle bodies. The cables aren't synced as well as I had adjusted them the first time and after the many times I removed the cables for the choke issue, I put them on and flubbed the set up, the last time.

So that is the next item.

Oil changes, and a good cleaning are on the pre departure checklist as well.

Then right after a test packing will be attempted.

I had a very scary (ie. learning oportunity) occurrence last evening.

I have a bucket loader (an old IH 2510 diesel) and transported it to Wasilla (20 miles from home) for some work I needed to do. I have moved it one time to home from Talkeetna 3 months ago, never before. On the way home I had loaded it on the trailer, and I adjusted it's position (fore and aft) by sight. It looked good and seemed to have great tongue weight. Well about a mile on the highway I found out something was violently out of rig. The entire F-350 and 10,000 pound on the equipment trailer began swaying. It was at first small but it kept getting larger and larger, until I could hear the truck tires squealing. I finally got it slow enough to begin to reduce the side to side BS. But it took quite the soft touch and a bunch of years off of my life.
    The fix was to move the tractor about a foot forward on the trailer. Man I am glad it was tied down well and the hitch was strong enough to take the load. No damage (except my life credits) was found, well the tires were black further up the sidewall than the drive home would have normally left.:nod

The tractor was on the trailer as pictured. Then after a foot forward it was all good!
  18. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scary sensation Gusgus. Experienced it once, but with a lighter load than you and it was bad enough. Get all the scares out of the way now, so your trip will be pleasantly uneventful :D
  19. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    That is my plan to be smiling for the next year.

:beer
  20. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    10 days!

The time before riding is shortening nicely. It could get intense very soon! :huh

The condition of "But, I'm not ready!" usually stress' me out!