4 corners and a float

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Gusgus, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Making our way to Whidbey Island today and to Annecortes(sp?) for some lunch.
    Made contact with helikron and he will be having an evening with my bride and I and a few friends at a pub in Edmonds Wash.
    Yet getting moving fast in the AM is not in my best interest. A nice slow morning feels best since our time away is winding down. Still a week of travel and some great times ahead. The ferry back to Alaska is one which should prove to be an incredible adventure.

The people of Washington have shown themselves to be the most aggressive and discourteous people on my entire ride around America. Californians in fact were the most courteous people.
    I found California was an incredible ride from the Mexico border to the Oregon Border. The Californian motorists would pull over, move aside, give way, stop and yield almost every time our motorbike was in opposition with them. INCREDIBLE! However Washingtonians would ignore our existence if they thought the space you held would help them arrive at the traffic jam 2 seconds faster. Many times I had to full throttle accelerate or aggressively brake because they were going to hit us if I didn't take aggressive action.

The highlight and dismal time in McMinnville, Oregon, was the Spruce Goose.
    The aircraft is a marvel to see and worth the admission. Yet the Evergreen machine (company) who owns the site is not there for you. The direction is a bait and switch admission.
    Pay to gain entry and be chiseled at every turn for more funds to see the same items you have already (believed to have paid for) been granted. For example, to see the cockpit of the Spruce Goose a charge was demanded of $50.00 per person. After a 26 dollar admission was gladly accepted.:huh

[​IMG]
  2. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    I was wondering how much longer this vacation was going to take you bro!

Great trip so far!
  3. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I'll bet they'll be getting into Ketchican around 6 Sunday morning ... Ferry leaves Bellingham on Fridays, so that's my guess.....
    Hope the ride is better than this one (thanks to Steve Irby/son's/friend)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And of course, don't forget to take advantage of the bike wash..
    [​IMG]
  4. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    We all met up at the longhorn in Edison ( named for that smart guy thomas alva edison, home of edward r murrow,... waitin' for another local to make good...) for a burger and gabbin' , reminds me that Alaskans are the nicest folk on earth. they're headin' north, get the welcome mat out.:1drink
  5. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    My time away keeps going and going.

Yet there is an end in sight, actually very soon.

Right now?

My bride and I are on the Malaspina, just minutes south of Wrangle. The stop there and then off to Petersburg. Our boat ride will end tomorrow morning.

The announcement just informed us that our arrival into Wrangle will be postponed until another ferry clears the port. Right now the 408 foot ship is speeding around in circles. Why can't they just sit still for the wait?

Any way I have been struggling with picture uploads and the inability of the Internet system aboard the ferry. It works yet has extreme limitations.

I will get the story finished when I get time at home.

Our drive home will commence asap after arrival in Haines. The truck is sitting there ready (I HOPE).

The internet system is not very long term, so I will sign off and talk to you all very soon.

And yes a BBQ might be a great idea. MaGus has volunteered to help me offer one.

The date we would like to have it is the 17th of November (Saturday) afternoon. Yet we can't fully commit right now since neither of us have been home for awhile.

See you all (Alaskans) very soon.
  6. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Hi Gusgus :wave
    see you when you get here. I talked to your son at Walmart yesterday.
  7. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Gustifer...welcome back.
    Keep your eyes open for Katoomer.
    He called from WhiteWhores tonight and plans to hold up in Tok Monday night. Big badass Ford Quadvan towing a black(?) 18 ft trailer.
    Anchorage 2:00 Tuesday. Carry On. Fite
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Welcome back to God's country. Looks like you had a gas and I'll be looking forward to hearing more.

Rumor is there's a bunch of four sevens stacked up at AIA w/ flats... waitin' on you. :lol3
  9. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    The heart is heavy with remorse for a finalized trip although it was a fantastic voyage. I will try to spend some time (when I am finished resting) to complete the trip report.
    15,000 miles in 7 weeks. 29 states, not including the states of confusion, terror, or unconsciousness.
    I'll see every one who shows at Katoomer's place Friday.
    I'll be the tired looking, smiling guy with an aversion to sitting.

Ta Ta
    :snore
  10. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Sleep well Gus. See ya at Katoomers.
  11. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Tom has decided to move the program to another venue. ESPN wasn't what he wanted so he has decided to move to another radio situation.
    It is to broadcast on Tuesday evenings between 9 and 11 Florida. That is 5pm Alaska time. But this Tuesday wasn't good. The equipment didn't function so the first program failed. I was able to hear them but they couldn't hear me. But I hope they get the bugs worked out.
    When it comes together I will update as much as I know about.
    I am still on line for at least one more program and according to Tom, he would like me as a regular call in.
    I will as long as it is fun. Not fun, not gonna.
    But Tom is a great guy and being a motorcyclist and having toured the entire US, he knows his stuff.
    More later.........
    When the program is up and working anyone can call in and ask questions. Tom is also in search of interesting stories. You all have some great stories. Call him and tell your story.
  12. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gus......glad to hear you made it home safe & sound.:clap We did a similar trip back in '00. Gonna head out in another week or so for a few months....mixture of work/riding. :evil
  13. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Taking on a new occupation? Trucking is done for the winter, what do you do for the winter?
    I have had a great time and will want to do this again. Not sure how long it will be yet it has changed who I am and how I see America.
    I do envy everyone who has the ability to ride across town let alone across America.
    be safe my friend, tell your bride hello from the both of us.
  14. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our son went into the Navy. He was living in a 5th wheel trailer in Utah. He moved the trailer to a campground in AZ that we spent the winter at a few years ago.......we really likes the place. Soooooo we have a place to stay. Gonna leave here in a week or so......will be back in Feb......don't wanna loose our PFD.:deal Gonna load the bikes in the pickup, and pull our teardrop trailer to stay in while traveling. Gonna hit the pacific coast hwy on the way down.:clap

We can't afford to spend the winter down there without working......BUT.....we wanna play.:huh Sooooooooooo........we bought a vinyl cutter so we can make decals, signs, and banners. The plan is hitting the events (Quartzsite/Yuma) and sell our wares. We will work as much as we need to and play the rest. Not sure what the work/play ratio is gona be, but hope we end up with more play than work.:D

I enjoyed following your trip......hopefully we will be visiting some of the places you did in the south.

Sorry we are gonna miss the get-together, but we already had plans.:cry
  15. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Roger not that it'll effect your plans but I didnt have a problem being out of the state for longer then that and still getting my PFD. I was gone 5 months. Theres a extra form to fill out. They just want to know that you had no intention of giving up your residency, you weren't collecting funds from another state and your not claiming residency any where else. Even with that they caculate your time out of state from the first of the year. So basicly if you get back here end of Feb you were only out of Alaska 2 months. Nov/Dec 07' and Jan/Feb 08'.

Enjoy the sunshine!
  16. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Gus!

Wheel Dog,
    No two wheeled stud mushing this year? Have a great trip south and put some mile on those tires.
  17. woody-ak

woody-ak Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Hey Don -
    I caught your first show by going into the archives - have they moved the files of the shows? Any way welcome back to reality! Aint it great? I'll try to find the files and if I do I'll post the location!
  18. fugawi

fugawi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roger, got any room for a R12GS to drop off at Treadless' place in SoCal?

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :wink:
  19. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know you could stay out longer????:dunno Guess we could a gone out earlier this year. I figured a month and a half in '07 then a month and a half in '08. Then do it again next year.That would keep me at 90 days.:deal
  20. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be back in mid Feb.......will put em on then.:evil