4 corners and a float

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Gusgus, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:

Already got the KLR & Rockster in the back of the truck (I hope I can fit both:D).
  2. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I could fit in the tear drop,,,,,, take me!:huh
  3. Ruby Doobie

Ruby Doobie AA Stepper

Oddometer:
    Bet your happy to be home and resting. For the record any close buddies of yours traveling through the Redding area, they are welcome to stop by and rest at our pad. ( call first to see if we are available). We just bought a new toyhauler so we will be doing some camping. It's always nice to visit with friends that are bikers. We were hoping that you and your bride had stopped by and visit but we understand your position. Well, we are happy you made it home safe--Shirley says hello to MaGus.
    Good luck
    Ruben :mulie
  4. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    shhhhhhhh we won't tell.:augie
  5. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey!!!!! You just got back!! Your supposed to enjoy the winter now.:rofl
  6. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    OK dad.....:scratch

I am sure gonna try....anyway.

You have fun and keep updating us....OK?
  7. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ruben,
    We went to a welcome home (from stan land) party last night for our friend Katoomer. It was a really nice time seeing the gruver bunch we have become quite attached to.

Ma says Hi right back at Ms. doobie. We were so bummed we missed so many friends during our ride, but we are already planning a re-visit of the North West. We'll keep you updated.

Go into the "tent spaces" thread and place your situation and basic contact information, the MOD will list you in the area post, and number your post in the area list. It works well and I used it a few times in my travels. All nice folks. I am listed there too!

Later my friend
  8. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    GusGus, it was great seeing you down here in San Diego. So glad you took the time to stop by here. Was great hearing your trip stories :clap and talking about lots of other stuff and getting to know you more :freaky since we only met for 1 day when I was on my Alaska trip. I look forward to seeing you........that is, whenever I plan a trip again to Alaska.

Here's some pics from when you were here.......

Gus the evening he got to my house on October 21st
    [​IMG]

Me, Gus and SanDiegoLand (Craig)
    [​IMG]

Don and I at one of my favorite places in Ocean Beach.....South Beach Bar & Grille. I think Gus liked the scenery there :evil
    [​IMG]

Gus gettin' ready to hit the road Monday afternoon, while Cody is sad to see his new friend leaving.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Mighty Adventurer departs on his way north
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glad my lane splitting tips helped you on the ride north, my friend, and good to hear you and wifee are home OK. See ya.
  9. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL! Congratulations on completing your run intact!
  10. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:
    ahahahaha!!!! that's awesome! the 911 sticker's placement! hahahahaha!!

[​IMG]
  11. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    In a small motel in Crescent City. The ride into here was another incredible story, which I will have to tell in depth later. ELK! FOG! Mountain Pass! PITCH BLACK! Poor combination.

OK as promised I will explain the Elk, fog and fantastic curves in a high mountain pass.

We left for Crescent City from the Avenue of the Giants far later than we should have. My co-pilot suggested we ride past daylight and stay the night in Crescent City so our next day would be a reasonable distance to our final destination. My mom's home. I had thought we would be there right after dark so we called ahead and reserved a room in Crescent City. The road was flat slightly curvy and with the usual incredible scenery. It was clear, cool and late afternoon. The road began raising elevation slowly at first and almost syncronized with the darkening skies. The fog was now visible above us and the sky was almost black. Although The light avialable behind us was ample for an eveniong drive. 20 miles to go and the road wandered into the hills.

[​IMG]

Our last bit of good light, illuminated a few herds of elk, standing along side the road. seemingly unaware of us and the vehicles speeding right past them. Feet away from semi-trucks, didn't even make them raise their heads. The first herd contained 50 or more on the left. The second herd was smaller. This bunch stood right next to the road. All of them, again ignoring the traffic. My nerves were on full alert. I turned on my driving lights (lovingly known as "landing lights"). they did some amazing things in the fog. The resulting whiteness was both great and even more intense than without, and the speed held during the day was an impossibility. I wonder how my bride was doing back there. Is she worried, concerned? I construct the question carefully so she wouldn't be alerted if she was actually unaware of our situation. She responded, she was doing great. I spend the next milisecond with a question formulating in my busy brain, like how is that possible, and figure it best to just leave that alone and ride.

There was another larger and growing issue as well, a small red pickup right behind us and wanting by. How is that possible?; I thought. A two lane road, dense fog and The side of the road is a slight drop off to a ditch and cutbank. The far side, I imagined it was a cliff. So since I was going so slow I just lit the brake lights and pulled over as far as possible and the truck took off around us. That was a relief and I was able to see where the road went for about a mile. The mountian road was built of nice twisties and with the great big trees right alongside, I am sure it was a nice day drive. The cold was penetrating our clothes and our feet became cold. The mileage clicked by and slowly the fog thinned. Crescent City arrived and LIZA (GPS) guided us through town to the motel. I was so relieved to be at the motel, yet my bride was still smiling like noting at all had occured.

[​IMG]*
    Even saw the front bumper of a motorhome far to closely.
    My bride was videoing right at the time we came upon the motorhome. Good stuff, I will need to get assistance to post it. Any volunteers?

<OBJECT height=355 width=425>
    &nbsp
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7gxjfwJg-aQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT>

We are safe and sound in the Pacific Northwest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ta Ta :ricky
  12. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Sir, you are dangerous :lol2

Fixst.
  13. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    I owe ya!

Dangerous as a bull in a china shop! Me thinks.:scratch
  14. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Now that is funny. You are only the third person to get the 911 stickers positioning. It has been there for 2 years. Not one person all the way around America said anything about it, and there were places where people spent time reading each and every sticker.

How are you my friend?

15. Wings

Wings RockiesToSandbox

Oddometer:
    If you happen to get pulled over around Crescent City by Trooper Davis, call me and let me talk to him :evil unless you made a complete ass of yourself already :lol3
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Oooof ! You could even see the quick thought about squeeking by the motorhome on the far right.

Bluehairs.

It seems so weird to me that at a time of life when judgement and responses are fading the natural inclination is to buy the biggest freaking behemoth barge possible and careen down the road in it as if you had any experience driving anything as big as 20 of the family Buicks... at one time.
  17. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Damn Gus, watching the video with the motorhome almost made me leave skidmarks in my shorts :lol3

That was close......glad you got around it OK. Luckily you didn't panic and try to go to the right side of him.
  18. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    It really wasn't all that close, but it is a great vid.
    My bride is still so excited she got the entire thing.

I will be finishing the story soon (I hope !)
  19. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:

just got back from IMS about an hour ago (san mateo international motorcycle show). long day of dubachery and photo taking. :) nothing really impressed me though... the 990 adv was pretty sweet, of course, but it's not really "new." the new CBR1000RR is pretty fugly... though, there was one dude with a totally butchered duc monster 695... had long travel suspension and a fatty skid plate on the bottom...looked like it was ready for the dakar. that was pretty fucking cool.

pics later, perhaps. i'm so tired.
  20. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Nice video.

Glad it worked out! :yikes

Mark H.