4 corners and a float

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Gusgus, Jul 28, 2007.

1. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Ok, Ok. I'll stop being such a baby about this whole thing. Just so its out there This was not going to be a solo adventure for Gusgus. When first schemed and plotted it was a ride that would that take two friends across country making mountains of memories and strengthen a bond make not so long ago. As fate would have it the gods (motorcycle) did not shine down on me for this adventure. I have been blessed with a new home to live in which is the main reason for the failed attempt at this trip.

I am nothing but ecstatic for you my friend and will be folllowing you closely in spirit and on this thread. The east coast is riddled with relatives and friends who would love to hear from someone whom I call friend. Youd have a hard time getting away from and I may ask you to pop in on an elderly angel in Columbia, South Carolina!

My time will come a year from now. I'll have many do's and dont's learned from yours. Till then. Ride safe, live well.

Oh and................:fyyff
  2. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Troy and if it hadn't been for you I might not have planned this trip at all.
    So I should be thanking you, and have actually. Not publicly, so THANKS my friend.

Now for the latest and greatest.
    I finally settled on a set of driving lights. They are friggin huge! See below!

My unmentionables which should be mentioned are also here. They are UnderArmour shorts. I have heard great things about them, I will let you all know my impression (no pictures of the impression either) when my thoughts begin to drift to that inevitability.

Now AKTroy you will need to give me those addresses and phone numbers in an email so I can call them when I am a couple of days out from being within reach. I will not need directions (I don't believe so anyway) due to the GPS reality of address routing. It works so well.

I have your cell phone number,,,, so I can call you when things are going sweet and make you feel like the dog you are...... For allowing me to ride all alone, to so many unknown and dangerous places....:ksteve
  3. Paulmer

Paulmer F' this, I'm going riding

Oddometer:
    Troy, A real friend would have paid for you and me to go with him. I hope Gusgus doesn't see this post, but I hope he gets sand fleas when he camps! :1drink
  4. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    With this post I assume you made it home with out a med-a-vac.:rofl :kurt :rofl
  5. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    :kat :nod :ricky
  6. Paulmer

Oddometer:
    I made it home and am already back in Seward working.:becca
  7. jimblack

jimblack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gus,
    You still planning on the 15th as a departure date? I am riding out to Phoenix with a buddy on a KLR around that time.
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    There's an xlnt bike storage place that I and some others here use in Tucson.
  9. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    YES!
    I will be leaving Haines on the 15th.
    What is your plan and time frame?
    Are you doing the Cassier?
    I am, especially now with Kildala2000's all torn up from his recent "issue"
    He lives in a town off of the Cassier.

Gus
  10. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    It was another day at work with broken planes. :becca

While driving out of town I saw a black GS! I caught up to it and it was AKBear. I yelled Hey to him and he wished me a great trip. How nice. Even 2 lanes apart it was nice to see him. Gosh it made me wish I was on my bike, instead of driving the truck.

When I arrived home I received an answer to my email from a guy doing a radio program on ESPN about motorcycles. He is going to chronicle my trip through radio spots and I guess it is even accessible on the internet.
    His name is Tom Lowdermilk and he seems to be a adventurous motorcycle rider. 64000 miles last year in 6 months. His '05 R12RT has 74,000 miles on it. Now that is some riding.

He is based in Orlando, Florida.

The link I found him through is: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5258368#post5258368

Now it is out to my bike shop and bike work,,,,,YIPPEE. I am off for a couple,

7 days till departure!
  11. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Gus already has sand fleas. He's how camp sites get 'em. :evil
  12. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. motorbike_mike1

motorbike_mike1 Gearhead

Oddometer:
    When I arrived home I received an answer to my email from a guy doing a radio program on ESPN about motorcycles. He is going to chronicle my trip through radio spots and I guess it is even accessible on the internet.
    His name is Tom Lowdermilk and he seems to be a adventurous motorcycle rider. 64000 miles last year in 6 months. His '05 R12RT has 74,000 miles on it. Now that is some riding.

Tom is starting new talk show on ESPN Radio called Side Stand up. It starts running Sept 8th on ESPN Radio 1080 AM @ 7 am to 8am every Saturday. you can do call in at 888-300-ESPN. Toms a great rider ran into him a while back. Good luck on your trip.
    You will have to remove the rear sub frame and air box to get at the throttle cable junction box on your GS. So much for Superior German engineering eh.
  14. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information.

I will be interviewed each and every Saturday morning for the next few weeks for the show.

The first interview is actually tomorrow morning, at 2:45am Alaska time. WHEW!

I have removed the cable box a few times now and never removed the air box. The trick is the metal catch on the right hand side of the carrier box, housing the cable junction assembly.
  15. jimblack

jimblack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Legion,
    Thanks for the info on storage, however, I have a sister that lives in PHX and I will put the bike in her garage.

Thanks.
    JB
  16. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Well the first interview was just ended.

It went well in a 2:45am kind of stupor.
    They at ESPN's Side Stand Up are now calling me "Uncle Gus".
    I guess it could be worse.

I will find out how others can hear it or at least find a way to hear one of the shows, as soon as I can.

Although every Saturday morning, during my ride I will call in at a specific time which will correspond to the live show times. Fun, Fun!

It could for sure be worse.....:nod
  17. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I was out getting the bags ready for the trip and installing a few bungee buddies on the Jesse's this morning when I realized I didn't have a key for the locks on the bags. I guess I have never had them as I bought a bargain set which were pre damaged in some mishap. There were gravel scratches on top, a few dents and no keys.
    So being the mechanic type with a length of time in my past as a locksmith, I tore them off and went into the re-keying steps.
    Well I learned some interesting facts about the locks. They are resin attached. Do you understand? The locks are held in place by resin, glued in!
    No nut, not a treaded attachment anywhere. Just some fiberglass resin securing the lock in the latch assembly. How can this be? It just is, I keep telling myself. It,, just,, is!

Well it was to late to back off without requiring a re-glue. I now needed to glue the old lock back into the latch, since I had removed the lock body from the latch assembly. It is back in and working well, although I don't have much faith in those locks. Now only 3 more left.....:huh

The latest on A&S BMW in Roseville, California.

I had ordered some stuff from them and wasn't pleased with the service being applied to my order. My gloves came as pants and about 1/2 of the order still wasn't here. so 2 days ago I complained. In standard Gusgus form I emailed the head honchos in the company. Well Thursday (6 Sept) I actually called them as they asked me to do and Friday morning (7 Sept) ALL, yes ALL of the order was in Alaska. :deal Including 2 A&S T-shirts. Nice recovery A&S. Good form!:clap

The most pleasing item was in the box. It was a prepaid shipping label to ship the incorrectly sent pants,, back to them. No cost to me. Frankly I was shocked. Good form A&S!
  18. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Ending the last weekend of toiling with the Adventure. I leave in 6 days.

But it is all looking great. I found some interesting things like the final drive link was loose ! It took 4 full revolutions on the bolt while holding the nut before it came up tight.., WHEW!

That would have sucked at speed.

The lights are wired and work well. The adjustment will be a trial by fire system for the first few days. I didn't wire in the running lights. I figure it would be a fun project somewhere on the road.

The oil is changed the dyna beads are in both tires and the bungee buddies are all installed. TOOLS, this will be my toughest direction.

Below is my tool box at home. Really! How to choose the right tools?

[​IMG]

I guess ready is a state of mind, not reality.
    Ready could take me years to feel comfortable with.

[​IMG]
  19. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Can I do it? I think so.

My job is not easy and not tough it is "filled" with complex issues which require intense and direct attention.

The men I work with are fantastic. I am one team member, in the group of excellent mechanics.

The last day has been suggested that I call in sick (I am sure in jest)
    But I couldnt do that, I guess I have to much respect for the guys I work with to falsely use any time off.

But I am so spent, not sleeping well (excitement)

Most of the packing is complete, I have some wire issues on the Truck trailer, but it can wait. Wait until tomorrow. I need rest tonight.:snore
  20. Paulmer

Oddometer:
    This photo was taken yesterday of Gusgus (Uncle Gus to Hollywood!) in the final test of his bike before the trip. I thought you would like to see it before you have to buy it when he becomes a national radio hero!