4 corners and a float

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Gusgus, Jul 28, 2007.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Any electronics / home theater geeks on here that have that capability? Something you can set to record and not have to do anything else?

I don't even watch TV so all the latest A/V tech wizardry skips my house. I got nothin'.
  2. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Gusgus, sorry I missed your call but you're using a cell phone number I rarely check. To get a hold of me in short order, 323-469-4169 is the best. Look forward to seeing you!

BTW, I'll be here in the last few of October for sure, thinking of a Utah run in the first week though, so if you're anywhere near ...

Ride safe and have a great time!
  3. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I am at Kildala's place right now.
    He is doing well. Sore and hopping around, yet home with his bride rolling her eyes at his lack of self care. I saw the foot. It is not to ugly yet still, quite damaged. He will be home for a while. So say hi to him, if you get the chance.
    I am off for points beyond asap, although time has passed much faster then my plans had in them.
    I am doing well, my bike has had one issue. I actually caused it! Overloaded and previously bent side stand finally failed permanently. Fixed after a time using a stick for a side stand, now that was interesting.
    Rained for the last few days almost non-stop. I've been camping out much of the last few nights, funny how people seem to shy away from me? Maybe it is the woodsman stench? NAH! They are just unsociable?

I'm off for Prince George soon.

Here are a couple pictures.........

[​IMG]

Temporary side stand

[​IMG]

Camp site marvel internet service? NO! Canada what's up?

[​IMG]

BEAR GLACIER.

[​IMG]
  4. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    Looking good homey! And they say aircraft mechanics don't know how to mickey-rig stuff!
  5. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good time, bud. Keep up w/ the log. :thumb
  6. Bearhawk

Bearhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Gus,

but it looks like your having way too much fun! Therefore, before you make that grin permanent, your vacation has hereby been revoked! Thats right, turn that bike around and get yourself back here pronto! Resubmit your paperwork again in 90 days for further disapproval!.....:D

I know what your thinking......F___ That! :lol3 Hope I gave you a laugh at least! Keep sending the updates and photos! All the guy's say hi! and stay safe!
    Bearhawk
  7. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey Don, :D

Thanks so much for the visit & it was a please to finally meet you. :clap
    Please ride safe & have the trip of your life.

God Bless,
    Rick
  8. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Hey man. Totally excited for ya. Got your update PM from an inmate, Thanks.
    Cant wait to sit and have a couple of beers, pic your brain and plan my upcoming pilgrimage. I was feeling sorry for myself at work the day after you left and explaining the trip with a co-worker that rides. Hes a sport bike guy who races in the valley. After a ride on the Strom he pronounced 'thats the coolest, most comfortable thing Ive ridden". Plans on getting one and joining me. If it works out that way you will meet him.

Gods speed and good luck to you my freind. Im with you in spirit and watching close for word of the road.
  9. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I arrived in McBride BC this morning after a very rainy night. I camped in the forest on an abandoned road about a mile off of the highway. After seeing 10 or so Black bears right on the side of the road I figured it best to way off of the road. That way I will have gone further than they normally do.

Another wonderful breakfast, at a local restaurant, and now borrowing the INTERNET serviced at a local motel to update you all.
    The motel is North Country Lodge, they have been so nice. The restaurant is right next door.

I should be in Jasper National Park and Banff National Park, by this evening, and camp there. Unless I make Calgary!

Yes all of my gear is wet and special. I am having so damned much fun, I can't even tell you all. Slower than my planned time frame, but I am not going to push harder, nor am I going to hurry. This trip can be adapted as required. Isn't that the best way?

no pics today, maybe tomorrow.

Thanks everyone, Yes Friar I wish you were here.

The lights and bungees are a great way to keep warm, ,,,,,,,,,,:kat don't ask!
  10. klrdave

klrdave misguided

Oddometer:
    I can only imagine. Glad to see you're still doing well. Have fun!
  11. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Hey I thought you were coming to see me? Was it something I said?:lol3 :lol3
  12. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey ring master!:poser

You are 100% correct in your name recognition. I was once in a VW bug with 23 of my closest friends.

Ok seriously, I really wanted to make my way to see you. Then I really looked at the map and my time crunch and will have to bypass you.
    I will make it down to see you one of these years, but you are always welcome at the big top where I have a cabin and nice workshop for you to use. Your always welcome.

Bring that big lug Kildala along with ya, OK?
  13. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    Glad to know you are having an adventure. Remember to stop and soak in all hot springs...maybe fellow campers will start talking with you.
  14. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    OK I am going to fill in my day by day ride story for everyone, with some pics and such.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I am sitting in a motel due to an interesting set of conditions and have a bit of time so I will get er done!
    <o:p></o:p>
    You might know I drove my truck and trailer to Haines, Alaska for my return trip when November snows come. I with my bride as my co-pilot will be floating from Bellingham, Washington

[​IMG] <o:p></o:p>
    I drove out of Haines but not very far since the day was gone. A camp spot was easy to find and I camped at Mosquito Lake, which was actually closed. The nice lady who owned the campground let me stay anyway.
    I camped right next to a German couple. He is a doctor, she, his nurse. They were so nice and it was interesting to be there with them. They even served me dinner!
    [​IMG]
    He laughed at my first attempt to set up my tent. The tent is an old Northface pup styled tent.
    I finally made it work.
    After making a few miles from Haines I stopped at a fantastic view and found that my side stand bent when I used it. It made the bike a real interesting situation. You see the bike is heavily loaded and the center stand is almost impossible to use with the use of the side stand first, just to get off the bike.
    So I made it to Haines Junction, and it was Sunday. Nothing open. I tried 3 different shops, and no one to even talk to, so I found a place to lean the bike and searched around a closed service station until I found an old broken broom. I cut off the handle and figured a way to place it where it could be done from the seat. It worked but was still not a great system.
    [​IMG]
    I left for Whitehorse Yukon Territories. Made it and found a welding shop which was “kind of” open. Tony is 83 years old. And works 7 days a week.
    Tony was pretty busy, but agreed when he saw how small the job was to go ahead and fix it. I removed it and after he welded the stand very nicely, I re-installed it.

[​IMG]
    The side stand works well. I am now very aware of the load on the bike. I have lost some stuff, given some away and relocated most of the heavier stuff to better distribute the weight when on the side stand.
    I spent the entire day chasing the side stand repair so I went to High Country Inn, where earlier this year we almost made our stay there, but found our reservations were canceled. I was under the assumption High Country was a really nice place. Adequate would be a better description. I dried my tent and rain fly for the next outing. Took the needed shower, and left early the following morning. Not impressed.

[​IMG]

That is all I have time for this stop.
    I am in Lake Louise, Alberta.
    Nice for a ritzy place. Expensive though. I will add to the thread next time in doors.

15. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Oh man my wife was choked. She spent 10 hours in the kitchen cookin a special meal and we even bought a new bed for the spare room just for you. Oh well if thats the way you wanna be.

Just kiddin man. You have a great safe trip. I am very envious. I could use a good ride. Interesting about the truck and leaving it in Haines. I was wondering what you were gonna do about the inevitable snow.:thumb
  16. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Man you are letting him off eazy you could have withheld that last bit for a week or too.:rofl
  17. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    Keep the story going Don, whenever you can!
  18. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And you were planning at being at my place today?!?

LOL!

:deal

Looking forward to your reports - have fun!
  19. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:

I was going to but I don't even know him and chickened out.
  20. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    He like a big dog alot of bark but dosn't bite:huh much:lol3