4 corners and a float

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Gusgus, Jul 28, 2007.

1. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    ya dog, dont pass WA w/o stopping by, I'll burn a salmon in your honor
    :1drink and not one of those pinks:eek1

if'n you breakdown, ( you are riding a GS right?) I have shit loads of cousins in CA if'n ya need to drop it and get tix to mexico:1drink

somebody has to flip you shit....:1drink
  2. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:

A few months ago I called him a clown. I been scared of him ever since:hide
  3. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey kootenay kid, :D

Maybe that is why he wanted to visit you so bad. :lol3
    He will be back & don't forget we can always pay him a visit next year so he can beat you. :D You can run but you can not hide.:D

]A few months ago I called him a clown. I been scared of him ever since:hide[/QUOTE]
  4. Wreckluse

Wreckluse Will work for beer

Oddometer:
    Well, GusGus left here @ 8:30 am in light rain and 4C, headed for Kalispell/Conner. It looked like rain all the way, so the heated clothing is in use. He was fed and "watered" :freaky last night after we went thru a bunch of his pictures. Jeez, you Alaska riders live in a beautifull place!!!!!!
    :clap :clap (Although there seemed to be an over-abundance of some sort of white coating on everthing in the winter)

Gus-ride safe, stay in touch and enjoy every mile of your trip!!

Doug/Wreckluse
  5. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Leaving Whitehorse was tough. An overloaded bike, an empty stomach and a constant nagging about the trip and associated trivialities.

Stopping here for some coffee and lunch.
    [​IMG]

I made an error in the planning stages of the trip where I was to remain on the #1 Alcan Highway (actually I never had known the Cassiar was highway 37) Highway, or exactly where it left the Alcan.

I made the incorrect turn off and ended up in Carcross. A nice place with fuel, but 100 klicks beyond the correct intersection. I found the best path was to take a left and pass through the area known as Tagish. It was beautiful and the road was nice and curvy. I was back on the Alcan at 4:30pm and headed south for the turn off to the Cassier.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The Cassier (at least the beginning section) is essentially a single-track, paved road. Curvy with great elevation changes and a smooth well cared for surface. I was moving right along and smiling all the while. The rain had stopped, the sun would peak through, yet it was far from a partly sunny description.

[​IMG]

Inside the left turning bend of the road was a bike! An Adventurer? I turned the GS around and went back to check on him. He was in the ditch working on the rear tire area of his KLR.
    The chain was the trouble. It was far too loose and he had tightened it as far as he could, yet it was far too loose. He was a paunchy, 55ish, scraggly haired man, with leathers so old they weren’t black any longer. He was dressed as if everything he owned was on him.
    I asked him where he was from (I might have guessed actually) and he responded “Talkeetna”! The KLR was recently bought in Talkeetna and he quickly prepared and set out for Arizona to his daughters wedding.
    The back rack on the KLR had a huge plastic tote, covered with a silver tarp and semi held in place by 2 bungees. It was easy to move it around on the rack, but he said, “it was OK and it seems to work fine”. He pushed the bike to the small gravel hill up to the road and promptly spun himself right to the frame on the edge of the road so I dismounted and tried to push on the box, it went right to the fuel tank. When released it slid easily back to the rack position. I found a spot where I could push on the bike and helped him free the old KLR from the self-imposed trap. He was on the road and off we went at a parade speed. This went on for a few miles and he suggested I go ahead. I was so happy to do so.

[​IMG]
    <o:p></o:p>
    I left him pretty quickly and found a great place to stay at the Dease River RV camp. A nice place and a nice Wisconsin couple owning and running it.

I saw the KLR dude drive by.

[​IMG]

I spent a nice evening in the cabin named the fireweed cabin looking at a nice little lake and running the propane light for writing my journal. I slept well using my bags and readied myself for the departure the next morning. A light dew was on the bikes cover as I packed all of the gear on the GS.

again ridin and smilin!!!

[​IMG]
  6. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I made it across some slimy wet (raining again) muddy road, and made it to Dease Lake, a small town. Mamma’Z’s was the restaurant was where I stopped for breakfast.

[​IMG]

The KLR dude rode up as I was dismounting. He had crashed twice on the mud last night and lost his credit cards during one of his crashes. His rack was destroyed and the box was busted so baddly he had abandoned it on the roadside. All of his belongings were strapped with 4 or 5 bungees under the recognizable silver tarp. I invited him in for breakfast but he was short on cash now. All he had was a checkbook. In Canada? He complained he couldn't even pay for camping with a check. How will he survive? He rode away. I haven't seen him since.
    I went in and had a huge breakfast. Nice food too!

[​IMG]

I rode most of the way to Kitimat and Kildala’s place seeing 6 Black Bears along side the road while riding along. They were all about the same size, 100 pounds or so, and eating something, I guessed mushrooms. I found a small road down to a creek and I set up camp there. It was Little Oliver Creek.

[​IMG]

A nice night except the train across the creek. When the morning coffee was made I was sitting on the end of the cot and the leg bent. DANG! I also broke my capped front upper tooth. Using the aluminum flashlight in my mouth. Not a great start, but I would not let this get me down, I smiled and laughed at myself thinking how it was just another one of those travel issues.

[​IMG]

Made it to Kildala’s place. Nice fellow, nice family. I spent the day with them. They were so nice and even allowed me to use their Internet connection. Then invited me to dinner, it was great food His bride is a great cook. I took quite a few pictures of them and their home. Kitimat is a very nice, clean town. It resembles a super clean and well-manicured military or company owned town. I like it a lot. It was raining when I left. I went with Rick’s (kildala2000’s) help, to the Kitimat hotel, and got a great deal for the room for the night.
    I left early for points back up to the Cassiar and southern continuation of the trip.

[​IMG]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The ride was a tough one as I was falling asleep, nothing was helping, so I finally made it to Hazelton and a restaurant. I got breakfast, and drank some water and felt much better.

The Prince George destination and Les’ (cooler) place. I found it and rode right up to the drive where his Suzuki VStrom sat. I immediately took a couple pictures and knocked on the door. No answer. I then saw the note he was in the back yard. He is building a large shop garage. Nice construction and nice location. But after a beer with him I choose to make my way to the next point ASAP.

Thanks Cooler, nice to meet ya!

[​IMG]

That would be Jasper and Banff.
    I couldn’t make it all the way in one leg, so I began looking for camping spots. None were arriving, but I found some old logging roads so I took a couple and rode them far into the forest. Nothing good enough!
    Then I saw in the distance an off ramp kind of road, wide and well used. I made the turn since it was getting quite late to be setting up camp. It was a super dirt road and then it came into view a small road over a small berm. A road that was abandoned and was growing back in. I followed it for about 2 miles. The spot chosen was right in the middle of the road. The tent would essentially block the road and the bike could be used as the side tie outs for the tent. A nice quiet place, although it began raining hard about midnight. It rained non-stop all night I awoke and was in the process of making coffee and it stopped raining. COOL! Packed up, loaded and I was off and running once again. It didn’t rain all day.

[​IMG]

I stopped at McBride for breakfast and used their Internet for checking my email.

I found a guy (Dwight), to weld my cot legs, he did well, and for 65 dollars, I paid 50 bucks for the dang cot in the first place. So I've got the best REI Grizzely cot around, after all it is worth $115.00 now...HA!

[​IMG]

The park entrance arrived and it cost me $8.50 to enter and I had to be out of the park by 4pm the next day. It was overcast and windy but nice. I stopped often and took pictures when it began raining, picture taking was over and I began to realize the closed signs on the campgrounds were 100% of them. None left open. Now I had to make Lake Louise and it would take me longer than I had daylight. Then it began snowing. Hard! I was alone, no other car on the road. NONE! The mountains are spectacular and the road is smooth and well designed, there are a couple corners that are sharper than I would have liked to run when the road was dry. But the slush was accumulating on the road and on me. I was down to 50 KPH when a saw something ahead of me. It was a wolf. About 75 pounds, white with blotchy dark areas, like soot staining. He was facing away from me, but my “Landing Lights” saved the day. I could see him with just enough time to pull the bike over to the left side and wiz past him, the lights kept him in his place until I was by. HEY was I wide-awake and warm. Lake Louise was about 40 klicks further and I would have a room.
    I found a room at the Lake Louise inn, and it was 209 per night, but I was properly softened to the price by the last 2 hours of snow and wolf encounters.
    This was a place with mints on the pillow. The guests were looking at me strangely. I still don’t know what the draw to this place is but it is a draw for rich people.
    Not my kind of place, except when I spread the rain soaked and woods smelling tent and rain fly across the room to dry. I had to tie the tent to the ceiling vents and close the bathroom door on the other end to keep it elevated to dry. It worked perfectly.
    I had to buy 24 hours of internet service for 10 bucks also.

Nice place, but a bit over priced, except in my case, as I was needy.

[​IMG]
  7. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone reading this, right now I am in Cardston, Alberta. I tried to make Montana (actually placed my feet on US soil, but the 2 inches of slush and the heavy snowfall and the road increasing in altitude made the trip further unwise. So backtrack I have, and I am in a motel. waiting out the weather. It looks like tomorrow it will be nice, but after a night below freezing I plan a late start.
    I will continue the story asap.
    You will all just have to wait for the pictures, which as usual don't look as bad as they felt, you know?

It's a fact that we all will die, but we should try to live first!

This trip is living, I can't wait for tomorrow!
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Cassiar, Carcross:huh ya thay both start with C but thats where a the similarity ends :deal :huh thay aren't even in the same area:cromag so much for a high doller gps.:rofl you are having to much fun:norton
  9. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:

:nod :brow :jinx
  10. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:
    w00t w00t! great pics+writeup so far, mr moody! i dunno what the hell you wanted me for, your pics are great!
  11. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Just missed your call today. :baldy It sounds like just the kind of trip I was hoping for. The info when you return will be invaluable.

Have been exiled to Fairbanks for an undetermined amount of time. Crack a big smile and take a pic! :lol3 I broke mine 13 hrs before meeting my father in-law. :eek1 Superglued it back on it worked great.

Be well buddy.
  12. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Cause you C3 are da bomb when pictures are concerned....No arguing now! I'll see you soon.:getiton

Troy, Yes I was just gonna say hi and see how the heck you are. But it didn't work, now the dang thing is on the fritz here. The desk person told me it happens often. GREAT!
    The snow is concerning, but now the ice is my latest issue.
  13. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Great write-up.

Quite an adventure! Hope it continues going really well.

Anxious to hear about the weather.

Have fun, Mark H.
  14. Bearhawk

Bearhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gus, Look at what you are missing! Don't you want to come back and join us? It's been 12-16 hour days ever since you left!

The attached photo is of aircraft 6744 that blew a couple of tires when it left Chicago and landed here on just the rims. Amazing how much abuse these planes can take!

Bearhawk
  15. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1
  16. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:

holy hell! :huh
  17. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    They all do that. :D
  18. Ruby Doobie

Ruby Doobie AA Stepper

Oddometer:
    Don, sounds like you're having a ride of your life. I salute you for your courage my man. Iron Man is no match for you, be careful in your accomplishment. Hey get as far as you can from those there black bears. Take care drive safe
    Ruby Doobie
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    How late a start we talking here? Them hotels can gnaw on the riding budget after a while. Got snow?
  20. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Leige,

I left about 10am and the roads were nice. The evening following was 20 deg. I camped in a very unique spot. I'll get to that info soon. With pics of course. This morning I find myself in Lambert, Montans at Bosco's home.
    A very neat family homestead built in 1909 on the prarie.
    I'll post pictures later.
    I'm off soon for points east.
    I'll update soon.

Ta Ta
    :ricky