4 corners and a float

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Gusgus, Jul 28, 2007.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great time so far, Gus. Say some more.
  2. Wreckluse

Wreckluse Will work for beer

Oddometer:
    So Bearhawk--------------

How in hell do you change tires and rims on a unit that size?

:ear :ear :ear

Might have to change the pilot's seat too! :rofl
  3. bosco

bosco Raybanned

Oddometer:
    :wave gusgus

Me an lil' bosco Jr. went out the the garage yesterday morning. Lo and behold what did we find?

[​IMG]

Some crazy mofo had parked their motorsickle in there. :huh

[​IMG]

Luckily he didn't stay very long or lil' BJ would've appropriated that machine. :evil Can you dig those funky headlights, man?

[​IMG]

Seeya on the flipside Gusgus. It t'were great to see meet you and we're already planning the POW Is./D2D adventure in '08

[​IMG]
  4. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I left about 8 and headed down the slab for points south, not much more on my mind except getting out of Canada. I don’t like Canada very much. It’s pretty, but the speed limits are far slower than is needed, and it is more damned expensive for anything.
    I saw a Tim Horton’s in Canmore. I had to make my way through town back to it since I took the wrong off ramp. It was OK. Actually I am not impressed. Long lines, small selection and coffee, not even espresso. It isn’t raining, it isn’t snowing, a great cloudy day. I’m off and running once again.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    In Calgary
    I had dfinnie&#8217;s address, but that didn&#8217;t work as well as other had on my journey with the GPS. I was in the correct neighborhood but couldn&#8217;t find him. We figured the subdivision was just too new for the GPS to know where things were.
    What a place&#8230;..Nice fellow, good beer and he took me to dinner, and provided me with a bed. His home is a newer well thought out design. I loved some of the ideas used in it.

[​IMG]

The shop is my favorite spot though, Motorbike showcase stuff. The shop air system and welders, as well as sandblaster parts bins are perfectly placed and clean as a pin.

[​IMG]

Not to miss mentioning all the motorcycles. Doug&#8217;s main ride is a SV650 Suzuki, and his second favorite is the 640 KTM supermotard. They both looked fun. Doug was motorcycle racing guy most of his youth and now just rides for his smile, like most of us, in our adult lives, not to call anyone old, but life needs to slow down at some point.
    Doug is an exceptional host in my journey across the nation.
    I left at 7:30am it was raining lightly, I was planning on making Geezer1&#8217;s in Conner Montana, but the weather had another idea in store for me.

<o:p></o:p>
    At Cardston, Alberta, it began to snow. No accumulation, not troubling except I was cooling down as well. My heated gloves were in a side bag, my extra coat was there as well. I needed to stop and put both on, but when it snows the roadsides are actually the most treacherous. So on I pushed to the border. The border is called Carway, AB. I answered all of the pretty agents questions and she then offered her advise of which way I could go for less altitude and hopefully less snow, there was 2 inches of slush on the road at Carway. But back toward Cardston the road improved quickly. I parked under the inspection carport and walked in the station for some warmth and to look at a map.
    They were very nice, as I listened to a very loud lady in a minivan yell at the agent about the snow. She wanted the agent to decide a correct direction for her. She was afraid of the snow and demanding a route; which wouldn&#8217;t cause her any more worry. Then she looked at me in my motorcycle suit, and stopped cold. Looked at me, for about 30 seconds, speechless, and then as nothing had happened, turned back to the agent and continued her rant. It took her about 5 minutes to realize what she had seen standing next to her at the next window, but all of a sudden, she stopped barking long enough to take another look at me and said; &#8220;How did you get covered in snow?&#8221; I answered the information that should have been obvious, but she didn&#8217;t seem to believe me that I could have ridden a motorcycle there.
    Finally she left and I was able to ask the agent some questions about elevation and road reports. Her information was fairly grim. I put on my extra coat and heated gloves while I was sitting in a dry place. I turned around and rode back to Cardston for a motel room.

[​IMG]
    I had to clear Canadian customs once again. The Canadian border agents made me sit out side for almost 20 minutes while they double-checked my name and credentials. A cynical smiling red haired border guard came out with my passport and handed it to me and in a laughing manner said it ain&#8217;t a good day for riding is it, I answered, for men it is. Then I was off back to Cardston and the 25 kilometers of slush-covered road. The motel was right in town and easy to park under a cover. I found the weather was clearing then. A cold night was in store. They were calling for &#8211;5C locally, and all of the roads were covered with slush.

The following morning, I took my time getting out of the motel room.
    I took a route across Alberta, easterly. This different route took me to another border, which I don&#8217;t remember, the name, but the agents were just as quizzical and weird. But I sat waiting. The roads were dry looking, yet there was ice on them, just not enough to cause issues.
    Finally in the US. I yelled it many times, to no one.

[​IMG]
    More later, must get on the road. Minneapolis today and this evening. Friends to see.

:ricky

5. Bearhawk

Bearhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So Bearhawk--------------

How in hell do you change tires and rims on a unit that size?

It only takes a couple of good sized Men!
    Thats what we keep Gusgus around for! Not much for brains.... but strong as Hell!
    Bearhawk :lol3
  6. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL! Gotta love it when people encounter things outside their experience.

Stay warm, stay safe! :thumb

(Btw - no snow or slush in Kitchener so far. :D)
  7. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    Go Don Go!
  8. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:

ahahaha! most awesomest quote EVAR! :rofl :rofl :rofl
  9. Bjoern-that's_it!

Bjoern-that's_it! n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Uncle Gus!
    Hope you'll think of stopping by here in Chicago. A place to sleep and a nice steak dinner is the least I can do for a friend who put me up twice in Alaska, and who did it in style!
    Your trip reports are rocking...
  10. Ruby Doobie

Ruby Doobie AA Stepper

Oddometer:
    ENJOY THE RIDE ESE!!!!! :clap -5 :eek1 rrrrr , bet you can't wait for the clam chowder.

11. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    So my body odor aside I really am able to lift one of those tires.....

Saw Strenge and Worum last night, drank some brew and laughed.
    Stayed O'er night at Donny's. Nice pad. Wonderful people (he and his bride) Pics to follow.
    Right now?
    I'm sitting at a picnic table in the woods with INTERNET access. A place named Buffalo Lake Camp Ground. I believe I am about 50 miles from Fon Du Lac, (sp?) Wisconsin. Into Milwaukee, and across the lake by ferry to Muskegon,,,,, tomorrow.
    Funny,,,, there are Halloween decorations all over the campground.

Ill try to update the story soon...........But there is lots O :ricky left to do.
    Did I tell you I am having a great time? WELLLLL, I AM!

Ta Ta

:ricky
  12. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    You know I would love too, but it isn't going to be possible.
    My plans have been so fluid I don't know where for sure from one day to the next. Chi Town is a bit outside the realm of Gusgus' ability to cope, without a large caliber weapon!:chace Actually the road system from here to there is 100% superslab, YUK! I have sworn to avoid most of those.
    Thanks for the invite my friend.
    I will need to keep moving to meet the only deadline I have. MA'Gus' arrival date. Can't miss that one! Not alot of time left, dangett!
    I just heard some special noise from my rear brake. The shoes have gone away again! CRAP! Gonna need to find some of those soon.

See ya another time. Nice avitar dude! A German indian chief? HA HA!!!!!:kat
  13. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL! Like the quote.

Thanks for the update!
  14. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Time for one picture then I must sleep!

Here I am moments ago, posting on the thread. Plugged in to the RV pedestal and using the campgrounds INTERNET.

I should be close to your home in Kitchener, soon.

I'll call ya, when I think I can make it. OK? I believe I have your number. Not able to check it right now, but I will in the morning.

Although I need brake shoes, so I will have to find a BMW dealer tomorrow.

Gus

[​IMG]
  15. Bjoern-that's_it!

Bjoern-that's_it! n00b

Oddometer:

Uncle Gus said Chi Town is outside his ability to cope, I answered, for men it is! :D

Man, I can't believe I'll miss you. I'll be riding up in Wisconsin today and will miss you by about 200 miles or so. Dang!

Actually, I took this picture on my trip that eventually led to Alaska where we met the first time. It's on my web page. I think it was in Cody, WY during some sort of Indian get-together. Cool dude!
    So you didn't know that this is part of traditional bavarian clothing? Feathered head bands, sun glasses, Lederhosen and beer Steins? :1drink
  16. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Adding a little something to the herd. Always wanted a Bobber. Not quite a done deal but close. Sounds like your living the dream brother. Cant wait for mine.

Bobber.jpg
  17. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike troy. All it needs is a D2D sticker on the front fender.
    OH that may be a problem!
  18. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Into Cut Bank, Montana and the roads are all dry as the town folk are not aware how close the snow was to them. I have to laugh when sitting in the restaurant this morning; the conversations were about riding HAWSES, and shootin the shit out of stuff. This one squared jawed blued eyed blond haired cowboy, (looked like the boss) explained to these younger guys how riding was going to happen all winter and shootin the &#8220;varmints would be required. I think they must have been a bit uncomfortable since I was smiling at each word. God, what a country!
    [​IMG]

I glued my broken tooth cap back in place, as my friend Aktroy suggested, it worked perfectly. Thanks Troy!
    [​IMG]
    The trouble is how does a guy glue a tooth back on? With his finger, right? This does create a whole new set of troubles like what to do with your finger glued to your tooth, and how to work the throttle with your right index finger glued to your front tooth. And not to mention the issue with morning evacuation duties. WTF is a guy to do with a look like he is always confused? Kind of a thinker stance with your finger stuck to your front teeth.
    Well I just couldn&#8217;t have this so I peeled it off, man that hurts, and now I have a fingerprint on my front teeth. CSI would love those kinds of clues wouldn&#8217;t they?
    Well it is getting better and my smile is really a perma grin, NOW. I have found so much fun just meeting the old farmers and motorcyclists as interesting as anything I have found on the road.

[​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The day was waning and the GPS was showing a sundown time about an hour away. Not good when finding a site and setting up the tent usually takes an hour plus. So finding me a site was getting serious. Just outside of the town of Malta, Montana, I saw a road on the right side, no fence, no animals and an old barn sitting there. I turned around and went back. It proved to be an incredible spot. A real covered Conestoga wagon was there, next to the old barn and loading shoot. I found some of it had been mowed, but there was much more which had not been mowed. The tent would fit perfectly and the bike didn&#8217;t even need the kickstand down as I leaned it against a gatepost. The sunset was spectacular and as usual the train was fairly close, so I was alarmed a couple times when it came by. I quickly adapted since I was so tired.

[​IMG]

The night was darned cold and I was not well rested although I thoroughly enjoyed the site.
    The barn and fence hid me from the road and who ever might see me, this was reassuring I could go about sleeping without concern of a confrontation. Am feeling nice since I don&#8217;t need any negative issues during my adventure. Right?

[​IMG]
    I wake up to a very cold morning, I don&#8217;t know how cold but it is a heater morning. I light the MSR dragonfly and get her up and running and set about making my morning coffee. It is nice to get moving slowly especially when one camps right? The heat and coffee makes it so nice to remove the sleeping bag from my body. Otherwise it would be one of those get er done dressing free fall. I really don&#8217;t like those mornings.
    The morning &#8220;evacuation&#8221; (OK piss) is special. IN socks, deep frozen grass, and from a pup tent a complete get clear of the tent is required, so complete exposure is a requirement. WHEW! Best to wear thin clothes since nothing wants to come out in those temps. Then back into the tent and crank the heater up on full heat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a pack of cocoa and decided to add it to my morning coffee. Well there is an issue, figured that one didn&#8217;t ya?
    The titanium cookware and the MSR stove aren&#8217;t compatible. The pots or cups are too small for the stoves pan rests, so it is a tedious adventure to set the pan exactly. This day I had mounted the stove to the base, which actually makes the stove pan base a bit larger, so the pans are unusable. I have since found an old horseshoe for the pan issue. It will allow the pan to rest on it and keep the pan from spilling like happened this morning.
    Today the 25<SUP>th,</SUP> I saw lots of pronghorn sheep.

[​IMG]

There was a pretty red fox running from the road and made it look like a flowing movie set. Extremely picturesque, although I saw it and didn&#8217;t take the picture as I was spellbound. Made it to Lambert, Mt, where Bosco lives. He said he would be around so I ride around and ask no one while I snap some pictures.

[​IMG]

Then I stop at the Lions Den restaurant and ask the sweet lady about Rob. She knows him. She should since there are maybe 150 people who live there. She is closed but still helps me set up a meeting with Rob. I get back on the Bike and promptly tip it over! CRAP! This SOB is heavy. I am so pumped I just lift it. I didn&#8217;t even unpack anything. I lifted it fully loaded. Then mounted it and headed out to Rob&#8217;s place.

This is Rob's old Suzook.
    I tried to avoid staring at his hand deformities, but it was tough, They looked like he was flipping people off all the time.:flip
    [​IMG]

his main ride, a highly modified Beulah. S3 Thunderbolt. Chain driven actually... Now that is a good change.........:ricky
    [​IMG]

The 26<SUP>th</SUP> was a great ride day. I ride to a reservoir just out of a small town.
    Bathroom is nice and so is the view. I am all-alone. I like that.
    I am falling asleep so bed calls me. I will add some pics and post this addition. Sorry everyone for being behind the actual ride. This day I found my self in The Toledo Ohio area with a breaking bike. Yes the old reliable BMW is beginning to break. I have a knock in the transmission. I found that when the engine is cold no knock, but when the engine is warm I have a substantial knock at traffic lights. Place the transmissio0n in neutral, release the clutch and the knock is gone. I figure it is a Pilot bearing. You know the bearing in the cranks aft end and where the transmission input shaft forward end has a bushing inside the crank flange?
    So adapting my original plan I am. Heading right to Newport News and Chesapeake for Adventure BMW to fix it. I will need a rear tire and oil change, so this is well timed actually. The bike is still doing well but with a rear brake issue and this latest issue. It is time to find a mechanic, and have the time to let them fix it.
    I also have a rear brake disc being delivered to my friends business in Newport News so it can be installed.

I hope to catch up with my thread soon.
    Sorry anyone and everyone for my route change, but I am smiling just the same. Gotta love riding across America, no matter the direction, don't ya?

Later everyone
    Gus:ricky
  19. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    (quote)"The trouble is how does a guy glue a tooth back on? With his finger, right? This does create a whole new set of troubles like what to do with your finger glued to your tooth, and how to work the throttle with your right index finger glued to your front tooth. And not to mention the issue with morning evacuation duties. WTF is a guy to do with a look like he is always confused? Kind of a thinker stance with your finger stuck to your front teeth."(quote)

:eek1 Dude a little dab will do ya! Sorry but Gail and I did get a good laugh out of it. :lol3

On my trip in Colorado a couple of winters ago I found that a
    Gatorade jug will help keep the tent warm for those evac duties.
  20. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    yea yea yea, morning bottles don't get repacked on the bike,,,,so I revisit the simplest method more often than not. Standing, shivering, talking to myself like a Talkeetnan, trying to coax everyone to work togather. :clap

And the tooth is still in place, the finger print is almost gone.

It is time to ride, see ya!

ta ta
    Gus :ricky