4 corners and a float

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Gusgus, Jul 28, 2007.

1. woody-ak

woody-ak Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Don - I've got to agree about the Smithsonian! Are you two going to get a motel and go in from there? I think that would a good idea if you set up someplace near the Metro. That way you can ride the Metro in and get off literally right in front of the Smithsonian. It's really nice you come up right on the Mall and when you're ready to go - just hop back on the Metro. You can find the routes in the local phonebooks if I remeber correctly (I lived in the DC area for a year). You can stay as far south as I think Alexandria, VA and still Metro in. Have fun kids!:feelgood
  2. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gus:

While in DC if you want to tour all the monuments, check into taking a bus tour at night. They advertise all over so it's easy to find one. The tour companys do hotel pick up if your staying in the district. I did that a few years ago when touring with my daughter and it was much better than seeing the sites by day. I especially suggest seeing the vietnam memorial at night....that had a huge impact on me (I have friends on the wall).

A cupped front tire? They all do that right Frier.

Ride on Don.
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Got a few flakes falling at the barn, here. :bluduh
  4. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    MaGus arrived in Newport News, Virginia about that time. Nice to hear about the snow. A few more days out of the saddle can't hurt, can it?

I'll try to build a next report, since many things are still happening.

We leave tomorrow for Nags Head and a few days on the beach.

:kat
  5. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    yep it's standard fair.
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Is this thing still on?

...tap ...tap ...tap. :ear

MaGus and the beach must be the ticket. :lol3
  7. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    :kat neener, neener, neener!
    It has been beautiful, sunny/hot, and beer filled, thanks to my buddy Charlie, and his bride.
    They are tops

Here is Charlie in his shop on a customers bike.
    I'll get pics of his bike on here very soon.

INDEED!
    [​IMG]
  8. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Hey Gusgus pm'ed you
  9. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hello Don, :D

Hope all is well. :D Hope you and your bride are enjoying the time together again. Keep us updated. :D
    PS: stay away from those HD they don't do well on the Dempster. :rofl

Take Care,
    Ride Safe,
    Rick
    Following every move you take, go brother..:wink:
  10. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    My bride and I are in Washington, DC. Seeing the sights and walking until we are sore. But enjoying it. The temps are low 90's and overcast.
    Simthsonian today.

The Mall last night.
    [​IMG]
  11. Ruby Doobie

Ruby Doobie AA Stepper

Oddometer:
    Aloha Don,
    Nice Lincoln Memorial pic. Brings back memories when i was station at Ft. Belvoir Virginia. Anyway, I hope that you are enjoying your stay there and having lots of fun.

We are in Hawaii right now and the weather here is crazy. One minute it is pouring rain the next the sun is out with about 120 % humidity. We are having lots of fun watching "i won't go any farther"
    :kat
    Anyway, did you get your bike back? Will you be on the road again soon? When you do get on the road we will be with you my friend.

Good Luck and Stay Safe.
  12. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Hey, GusGus, I have been following your thread through my old Eastern stomping ground that I often penetrated with my Honda 305. Nice memories. Watch out for the Rednecks. It was 18 degrees in Palmer this AM so all you are missing up here is weather only alcanrider could love. BTW, any chance I met you a couple of years ago at Indian Jacks on Red Shirt Lake?
  13. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:
    hey don, just a heads up... my bike is broke. transmission took a dive last week. hoping to have it fixed in time for when you pass through here...else i might have to commandeer one. :evil
  14. woody-ak

woody-ak Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Don -
    Great shot of Mr Lincoln - amazing to think he invented the welder! :kboom Havin' a great time? Did you take that nite-time bus ride? Sounds like it could'd been preety cool. Had to hammer the hard water in the outside water bowl. T-Dust is stickin' on the tops of the slopes. And yea - no more wanderin' troubadors needen parts - I'm keepin' the parts!!! Bought one of those Bigfoot shifters like yours - hopefully gonna put it on this weekend! Have fun w/ the Bride!!! Later, Woody
  15. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    It is not only possible I remember having a talk with a guy there a couple of times.
    I am a big ugly guy, does this sound familiar?

:poser

We'll have to get together some time and have a beverage (of your choice of course) and figure it out.

I will try to add to my report tonight.
    Tomorrow is my real live SideStandUp debut!
    We are broadcasting live from Robbinsville, NC. Near the Tail of the dragon.
  16. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Dang flying machines!
    Best O luck, to you. I just bet your stressed about it. I know I would be.

Not going to be a problem. I just need to meet you and if bikes are part of it great if not great.
    There is one thing this trip has become (which I never saw coming) it is about friends, not places.
    I like the change.
  17. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks my friend
  18. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    The drive from Gettysburg was incredible on a motorbike. The traffic is not the best motorbike territory, but it didn’t take me long to remember what I needed to do to remain safe. I must be proactive, ride aggressively, and be visible.

[​IMG]

The road through Washington DC was very simple, but pretty full of cars. The GPS or Liza as we now call it, has been a great tool.
    I arrived at Charlie’s shop (Absolute Performance Cycles) in Newport News. His partner (Joel) and Charlie were both there. They were both interested in the BMW Adventure, and began asking for some of the stories of my travels.

[​IMG]

I unloaded the bike’s load into the back of Charlie’s pickup. He suggested I trailer the bike to the Chesapeake BMW shop instead of riding it. This way I would have a ride back to Newport News. Good idea. I really didn’t know the way to get there, and really didn’t think about the rush hour, which I would be traveling through.
    I reluctantly agreed, so we loaded the bike on Charlie’s trailer and hooked it to the back of his truck and I left for Adventure BMW.
    The 35-mile trip took 2 hours, one way. I realized that I was going to be later than I had told Rick, so I called and asked for someone to wait for my arrival. (Rick, Adventure BMW’s owner, said he would be there) I was getting the stress headache over being so darned late, but I couldn’t make it happen any faster. This traffic sucks. No way to speed up a late arrival, since traffic was my time eater.

I was at Absolute Performance Cycles and I was there for another fun day at the shop looking at all the special bikes there and helped remove the carbs from an ’82 GoldWing. It was actually quite fun.

[​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The next morning we were to leave for Nags Head.

Off we went for Nags Head/Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. They had rented a house (called a cabin) very near the beach. It was an awesome place, with all the comforts of home, plus the reality of this incredible location. Right away we went to the beach to have a few beverages and enjoy the beach. It was perfect. The weather was overcast but clearing, warm to the locals real warm to us Alaskan’s.

[​IMG]

The waves of blue translucence were 4 footers. Crashing to the beach. Small birds searched for food, tiny little crabs raced all around us. The sand was different than I remembered from the beaches of my past. This sand was the best sand castle sand I have ever seen. It packed so well that pushing your foot into the sand made a mold of your toes and foot.

We left for the DC Mall as soon as we could, but not before sitting down in the Beacon restaurant for some food. Mary was awe struck by the Lincoln Memorial. The incredible feeling it brought to the surface and we stood for quite some time reading the wall writings of this incredible man. We saw The Vietnam War memorial, the Korean War memorial, the WW memorials, and enjoyed them all. The Washington Memorial was neat especially in the night lighting.
    By the time we arrived back at our hotel room, we were completely wiped out.

[​IMG]

I was so sore I wasn’t able to sleep. My legs ached and my body was not happy with me pushing it to such extremes. We guess we must have walked 5 or more miles. Getting lost while looking for our hotel added some to our journeys, but we have a great memory, right?
    <o:p></o:p>
    8 Oct 07
    The morning of the 8<SUP>th</SUP> we awoke and moved slowly since our previous nights adventure had almost stopped our continued Washington DC adventuring. But at noon we were finally ready to see some more of this incredible city.

We wanted to see more after the Natural History Museum and found the Science and Technology Museum was closed. So it was off to the Art museum. It was quite a disappointment. Lots of space, lots of cool passageways, but not much art. There are some great artists and some fine artworks there, just not as much as one might expect in such a huge building.

9 Oct 07
    Charlie and I went to Chesapeake to pick up my Beemer. Charlie knows the way but we still allowed Liza to assist us in the trip. Charlie is somewhat impressed.
    The bike was ready and not much more than I had been estimated for, yet some extras were included, like final drive fluid change, and the side stand bushing replacement. I have also noticed the idle and choke are much better. NICE, to find an uncharged repair. Nice folks. But the $1100.00 dollar charge was painful. The noised is gone! Even when picking up the bike they were still trying to tell me the noise was a worn Transmission and was a normal condition. BULL SHIT! I am not that stupid and they will be notified when I have Internet access. But I am pleased with the workmanship and extra bit they completed, also they did exactly what we had agreed and in the time frame expected. Adventure BMW of Chesapeake is an excellent shop in my book.
    We changed the rear brake “disc” and the engine oil/filter at Charlie's shop. I put in Redline oil. Pretty pricey stuff, but the engine doesn’t knock when started like it has always done on NAPA oil. I guess different oil would be a good plan.

19. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey Don, :D

It's great to see you are enjoying your trip. :clap Keep it coming..
    So for $1100.00 they replace the clutch, right?
    What kind of parts did they put into it?

You can PM me when you get a chance.

Ride Safe, buddy.
    Rick :D
  20. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Hi Don
    why couldn't the guys at Charlie's shop do the clutch?