4 Days Off Road Mexico Tour - Puerto Vallarta

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Coolkhas, May 3, 2016.

1. Coolkhas

Coolkhas n00b

Oddometer:
    Long time lurker, but finally got to do my first REAL ADV style riding!

Full write up below!

I was able to have the opportunity last week to be able to fly down to Mexico. I'm not really the beach-y type guy. Dont know how to swim, and looking at the ocean gets boring after a while. So, I immediately started looking for motorcycle rentals.

I looked at flying to Baja California, and riding all the way down to Cabo, but the only rentals I saw were of the big BMWs, and cost was absurd.

Then i stumbled across Puerto Vallarta. I came across pretty much only one company. Bike Mexico. Emailed them and figured out dates etc. He had a few different routes, cobblestones/paved roads or dirt/off-road. I decided to do the off road. Cost was pretty reasonable, and he would come as a guide with you. I let him know, that I would have my GF with me, and she would be on the back. He asked me how much experience I had going 2-up off road. None. He said good luck lol!

He has different packages,but I worked out a deal with him to do the 4 Day Adventure tour.

And so it begins:

Jurgen was nice enough to let us stay at his house the first night, so we could leave directly from there the next morning. He took us to downtown PV, and toured us around the boardwalk. Beautiful views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We leave PV and ride up towards Caule. He said he had just ridden this route 10 days ago, and it was pretty challenging. The day we went, it looked like construction crews had cleared some of the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roads were pretty much like this the whole time, seemed it would turn from dirt, to rocks, to gravel, to sand at any given moment. For having very little off road experience the riding was pretty tough, in my opinion. Especially, with a passenger.

We reached Caule, and had lunch at this ladies house that hand made everything for us. food was incredible!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jurgen walked around the village with us and gave us a real tour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didnt get too many pics, as I was more concentrated on the riding. After lunch I seemed to be getting ALOT of cramps. We stopped and figured the knee gaurds I was wearing were too tight. Ended up loosening them, and putting them outside my jeans, and that did the trick!

We arrived at Talpa de Allende to spend the night. Nothing major in Talpa, just a little beautiful village way up in the mountains.

Day 2:
    We left Talpa and headed towards Mascota. The road seemed to get more bumpy, more dirt-y, more sandy, more twisty. Jurgen told us we climbed 8000 ft+ about 3 times. Which meant we had to climb down them as well. Pretty nerve racking coming down hill, and being used to sport bikes, and not really touching rear brakes - to not touching front brakes at all, and to add to that, have a passenger on the back!

We kept moving, and rode through alot of cobblestone roads. My wrists felt that.

We Sat down in Moscota for lunch. Blue Skies above us, and great weather! Amazing.

Around 4pm, we arrived at San Sebastian del Oesto. Jurgen asks if I wanted to ride a little bit more, or alot more. We rode alot more. Did another hour or so going up this steep mountain, with cobblestones, and dirt, and gravel. Arrived at the top to an INCREDIBLE view. You could see the ocean far away ahead, and the village we just came from down below. I was too busy absorbing all this to take any pictures unfortunately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3:

Holy COW Twisties. We rode back towards Puerto Vallarta, did abit of highway riding through the mountains. Pretty intense twisties. At one point, a huge black cow appeared in the middle of road. Just looked at us, like WE were going to be hamburgers today.

After lunch we do some more off roading through the mountains to arrive at this amazing overview overlooking Yelapa beach. Jurgen said the road to get down to Yelapa was pretty tough, and would be much tougher with a passenger. We decided to keep moving.

It got HOT as we were heading farther inland. But almost INSTANTLY i felt a dramatic change in weather when we got close to the beach again. Spent the night at a little place called El Cielito. I think there were maybe 2 families there. Such an amazing beach and views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 4:

We woke up not too early, and just hung out a bit. There was a little river right next to the beach, and they had canoes you could take out for free. Just hung around on the river a bit in the morning.

Went to another beach location right after, looked like a dock for little boats. GF decided to do some yoga on the beach... lol.

Last day was pretty un eventful. After lunch we just pounded through some highway to get to Puerto Vallarta so we could get some rest. Jurgen helped us make accomodations at his friends hotel that was BEAUTIFUL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, this was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. If you ride motorcycles, and happen to be going to Mexico. Do yourself the favor and give Jurgen a call. Hes just a cool guys to be around, and genuinely has the love for motorcycles and traveling. Im definetely going back. Hopefully, for 2 weeks next time!
    AZ TOM, rvsparky, Kyron and 1 other person like this.
  2. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome, coolkhas!! My girlfriend and I go to PV a few times a year but always end up renting quads since the lady don't ride two wheels. I've hear nothing by good things about Jurgen and his business. Maybe I'll send her to the beach and I'll do my own tour next time. Question for ya.... it looks like you stay in the little towns each night, correct? I was under the impression you ride back to PV at the end of each day, but evidently not. I'd assume Jurgen can recommend places to stay. Probably not much choice in those little pueblos anyway!:lol3
    That shot of Yelapa below is great. Miss that place!
  3. Coolkhas

Coolkhas n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, my lady does ride but currently can only handle a Honda Grom. Plus she has NO off road experience. I have very little, I took the plunge and put her on the back. Was pretty challenging, but not too bad. So depending on your experience I would say - take the lady!

So the hotels were all taken care of by Jurgen. It was all included in the total package, made it really easy. They were all pretty nice hotels actually. But staying up in these little villages every night was probably the best part.

I miss it already man... :/
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  4. RageAgainstTheFence

RageAgainstTheFence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey great to see folk rocking the Tornados! Great report. I hope to be making it up here some point next year. Thanks for posting!
  5. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome write-up and pics, had no idea something like that was possible out of Puerto Vallarta :thumb:thumb

Thanks for taking the time to post and craft the report, was a good/fun read. :beer
  6. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4DayAdv_12_web.jpg Hey Kumail and Maddy,

here is a special shot for you :-)

I have to mention that this happend on about 8000 ft altitude :clap

As you can see we had a lot of fun on our tour.

P. S.: I can't see any pictures from your post ???

Saludos Jürgen
    augerdin, Kyron and Trip Hammer like this.
  7. Coolkhas

Coolkhas n00b

Oddometer:
    Ha! That's awesome!

We definitely had the time of our lives on this tour! You haven't seen the last of me yet :)

Not sure why you cant see pics, they are all uploaded to Google Drive, maybe you need to sign in to your gmail?
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

The spot above San Sebastian is called La Bufa...cobblestone/dirt up road, right?
    It's over 8k up there.

Isn't Playa Mayto & Tehua out on Corrientes sweet? Hardly any ADV riders make it out there. Spend any time in El Tuito or drink raicilla?

Oh yeah the road to Yelapa...
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/you-cant-drive-to-yelapa.742819/
  9. Coolkhas

Coolkhas n00b

Oddometer:
    Yup, La Bufa! That view was just incredible. The road was pretty gnarly though...

Beaches seemed to just keep getting better and better. I'm pretty sure we passed through El Tuito, I think we may have stopped there for lunch or a drink one of the days.

Man, that looks pretty fun. I think I would have ventured down that road, if I wasnt with the GF on the back. Thanks for the link, maybe next time!
  10. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi eakins and Kumail,

yes you are right. We have been on La Bufa, 2530 m / 8300 ft with the bikes and then you have to hike a bit but the view is worth the walk.

Yelapa viewpoint is a incredible place to see the whole Bay of Banderas. The road downhill is pretty destroyed and not really good for 2 up with luckage :-)

Some more pics from the trip. 4DayAdv_3_web.jpg

and some more from the mountains...
    4DayAdv_3_web.jpg 4DayAdv_4_web.jpg 4DayAdv_9_web.jpg

And the "famous La Bufa" :-)
    4DayAdv_3_web.jpg 4DayAdv_4_web.jpg 4DayAdv_9_web.jpg 4DayAdv_23_web.jpg
    augerdin and Scro like this.
  11. Coolkhas

Coolkhas n00b

Oddometer:
    These pics are amazing!!!
  12. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great report.you know some day your going to run across a weed patch down there that no one is supposed to know about.thats the trouble with the place.the cartels frown on that sort of thing.be careful.
  13. reality checker

reality checker FWG

Oddometer:
    Gotta ask, total OOP (out of pocket) to do it?

Also since you were in Mexico, didn't someone kidnap you and send your cut off ear to a loved one with a demand for a million bucks (Ha Ha)
  14. bajaburro

Oddometer:
    i have several american friends that live in mexico.all parts not just baja.one will not drive down to his place,about 1,000 miles from so. cal.now he only flies down.once he's there at his beach side plaza around 5 acres he stay's put.will not drive into town for fear of kid napping.he's an old timer in mexico and has dual citizenship so he knows the ropes down there.it's real,it happens,if you choose to not to accept it your just kidding yourself.
  15. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola,

I don't want to start here a new discussion "is Mexico safe"

But the mentioned tour coolkhas did with his girlfriend - he did it with me.

And I know where we go and where we stay overnight on my tours.

On the mentioned tour WE DON'T GO TO ANY PLACES WITH WHEED PLANTATIONS.

There are of course places in Mexico where you will find it but that is NOT THE WHOLE COUNTRY.

That's the advantage if you go on a guided tour. You will go on already traveled and planned routes with a guide who knows the area and the language.

Here in the area around Puerto Vallarta live more than 30.000 expats, mostly from Canada and USA - WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL.

The mayority of my clients, coming from these countries, told me that they feel much safer here in Mexico than in their home town in Canada or USA!

If you have a lazy sunday and the time you can read what the people say about their time riding in Mexico:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...7496-Reviews-Bike_Mexico-Puerto_Vallarta.html

Or look here
    http://isitsafetotraveltomexico.com/

or here

http://howsafeismexico.com/international_murder_rates.html

I wish you all a nice sunday and safe travels

Saludos Jürgen
    Kyron likes this.
  16. bajaburro

Oddometer:
    here's something for you to read now on fox latino web site.Acapulco declares all out war!Yes it happens in lagre tourist towns too.be safe.all the best to you.
  17. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Acapulco is known a bit like a "failed city"

This does not mean that the whole country is like this.

I live in Mexico and know as well a bit about the country. Believe it or not.

By the way. Just read an article that in the US got more people shot and killed from kids under 5 years than from Terrorists.

Saludos
  18. bajaburro

Oddometer:
    please let us know your source on this. thanks
  19. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Coolkhas

Coolkhas n00b

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I believe there are always those people that are too worried about what they see on the news, and whats happening.

Bad shit happens. All the time. Everywhere. White suburbia to slums of Pakistan.

Live your life in fear.... then whats the point of living really?

Its simple, dont purposely put yourself in a war zone. Do some research of your environment, where youre going, who you will be with, etc. Stay every vigilant of people overly curious about you and your where abouts. Go out and enjoy this beautiful world.