#4 - R90S Powered /2 Conversion Period Hot-Rod

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Solo Lobo, Jun 17, 2020.

1. black knight

black knight Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

BMW Classic Motorcycles :: Mark Huggett GmbH

16 11 4 080 165

Gas Tank Tool Box Threaded Lock – SCREW $10.52…

thumb_IMG_5677_1024.jpg
    16 11 4 080 172 SQUARE WRENCH $14.08

Tool box key
  2. black knight

Oddometer:

install the flat front fender strap - - - - outside
  3. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a few of those...

Thought about that and the fender clearly hadn't ever been installed like that before. Everything fits now
  4. black knight

Oddometer:
    good
  5. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Title: Well, there's your problem... (idiot)

Ever since the first firing, I have been chasing good even running on this engine. First the EI rotor was sipping effecting the timing, then the coil cooked, and finally with points and a new coil installed the bike was running better than ever, but the weird mid-throttle popping and running and weird idle setting disparity remained.

Figured I would just throw some new parts at the problem.

There's the new coil and ignition spares

[​IMG]

Bough new brass (forgetting I had already replaced the needles and needle jets). When I dipped the left carb I failed to take out the idle screw o-ring, that the Berryman's swelled up to 5X it's normal size. I used a generic wrong sized o-ring before and the one you see there is to rectify that issue

[​IMG]

The only disparity on the left side was that the OEm jet size is 60 and I had a 55 in there

[​IMG]

Wrong and right o-rings

[​IMG]

Buttoned up the right side and hopped over to the left. This where I realized something was missing as I had more parts to put in than I had taken out, lol

[​IMG]

Up to the attic to find the bag of Dellorto parts

[​IMG]

Yep, there it is

[​IMG]

Found the right o-ring in the carb parts box, with the other spare Dellorto bits. I had installed the wrong, generic o-ring thinking I wouldn't find this one

[​IMG]

That will probably work a bit better

[​IMG]

Now it's time to tune the carbs...
    Mr. Vintage, globalt38 and BJMoose like this.
  6. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Because carburetors have little to no pressure, the problems can be very slight and cause a world of running problems.
  7. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Day one of being an official empty-nester brought much garage time... the playlist today was Sisters of Mercy followed by The Clash.

The initial plan was to tackle this stuff, with a few other things that also had to have the tank off to complete. Those who don't own a /2 may not know that the tank cross-over line makes removing the tank a bit of a chore.

[​IMG]

The company who sold me the conversion exhaust system was almost offended when I asked about exhaust clamps, reposing "our systems do NOT require such clamps!"

O yeah?

[​IMG]

Step one, remove the tank and air box and starter cover... the eagle-eyed amongst you may notice the Guzzi wheels which look (by complete change) to possibly have been traded for my next project...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My breather has been honking, which was really bothering me so I bought the Northwoods tool, and also pulled the new stile breather out of the old R100RS block I have in the attic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also found that the rear right side screw I had holding the R90S engine badge on was too long, and was fouling the breather tube, so that had to be shortened...

With that done, I also had to make the missing left side airbox holding tab... really should have used steel and the thick aluminum I used is OK, but will be replaced

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the breather, airbox holder thing and the exhaust clamps done I spent a bunch of time chatting with the guy who came to buy the wheels, and it turned out we share many.many friends in the local motorcycling community. In discussing one of our comment friends bikes that I really like, he said "what if I trade you enough parts to build one of those for the wheels?"

I'll leave it at that, with the only note that the project pile isn't a BMW... more on that later if this does come together.

Next up is finding the source of this leak

[​IMG]

It could be the oil pan gaskets, yes two of them since I am running a Briel oil cooler, or maybe ever the rear main seal (yes, that one is new).

I plan on cleaning everything and then finding the source. I have two new pan gaskets on order from the local dealer as the two in there now are from Motobins and I am not 100% convinced they were OEM.

On a related, unrelated note here is my growing collection of Unimat "toy" lathe/mill parts

[​IMG]
  8. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    It's amazing the things one notices when they suddenly have a similar bike in the garage. I'm clearly missing that gasket for my tank's storage compartment. I did find it odd there was nothing rubber in there. Adding that to the list, lol.
  9. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    I think that gasket is labeled for singles… I added it for color contrast.

not a perfect fit
  10. black knight

Oddometer:
    AS FAR AS I could throw those fucking cloth covered fuel lines .....

wouldn't be FAR ENOUGH. new formulated gas EATS THRU that shiity german shi.

i had an engine fire on my 356. 30 seconds, put out w/ my fire extinguisher cost $4400.oo 25yrs ago.
    I know they look cute.........

those lines are fuckin' shit.

now you know

[​IMG]
    zzzak likes this.
  11. black knight

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever drill / tap / install a grease fitting @ th rear foot pivot ?

693C3803-2975-43A3-9583-30AB859A06FC_1_105_c.jpeg 1C3641F0-ECB4-403B-9E61-96582DEAA37D_1_105_c.jpeg A4B5AA40-9AED-486B-8D6B-C2DD0E5A3F5A_1_105_c.jpeg F09E9C39-2722-40A9-BFBA-EBCB64685FC3_1_105_c.jpeg
  12. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using this fuel line for about 20 years now with no issues.
    korinthias likes this.
  13. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the old boxer Beetles with this same fuel line the line runs above the distributer so when it leaks it also has spark. A good vehicle fire needs both fuel and spark.
  14. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like Snowbum was here.
    bpeckm, beemeruss, nmalozzi and 2 others like this.
  15. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    The foot brake doesn't need a grease zerk if you keep up with maintenance. When ever I get bored or have a little time, I go around the bike with a pump oil can, a drop on anything that moves. Yup, even a drop in the ignition hole ( a mostly overlooked point of lubrication).
  16. black knight

Oddometer:
    i was thinking out loud :choppa

I think you're right pokie, Just keep a yearly watch out / annual maintenance schedule.
  17. black knight

Oddometer:

WoW solo,
    very nice work, you're a proud owner of such a looooong series of challenges, joys, mistakes, problem solving, Loads of long hours & hard workmanship && progress to the beautiful results. You make us all proud of what you have done to have such a beauty. . . . . . cool new tool,

you could use the talcum powder method. clean it all very well. go ride for 5-10 minutes

then dust it w/ talcum to see where the oil source comes from.

2nd, I guess I never knew that Sport Tanks had a rubber edge.
    or
    is that a product from 'Tap Plastics' called edging which comes in black, gold and silver.

https://www.tapplastics.com/product...iKl2lw7CO8sMZXuRqMNK3jPFV24kDk6BoCNJoQAvD_BwE
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  18. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention that I also modified and re-installed the rubber starter cover air intake. it didn't fit and the intake noise was pretty loud without it

[​IMG]

I'm just back from a 15 mile lunchtime ride and the reduction of intake noise is nice, as is the lack of the gobbling from the old-style breather. This does bring some right side valve train noise to the forefront.

Next up, change the oil since I am at ~200+ miles, inspect the filter for news (good or bad). I'll also drop the Briel spacer and oil pan to address the leaks by trying out some Gaskasynch.

[​IMG]
  19. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Are the leaks from the oil pan or the push rod tube seals? I have seen a number of oil pan gaskets replaced, then discovered it was actually the push rod tube seals leaking.
  20. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pokie,

The PRT's are all dry.. but when I was cleaning the oil pan I did notice that it is looking like at least some of the leak is clearly coming from the oil filter cover....

I went head and cleaned all the surfaces and think I am going to move ahead with the current plan of resealing the oil pan and briel spacer, as well as doing a filter change and all new crush washers.

That will give me a new baseline for checking future leaks.

It could also be that one of the cooling tubes (or thereabouts) is weeping/leaking a bit