4 way flasher/Emrgency blinker.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by [Art], Apr 15, 2021.

1. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not having a set of 4 way flasher on the 790 is bonkers. Around here, when you are filtering through traffic, you just put them on, to be seen in the mirrors of the cars you are passing.

So how to get there? First you know that the alarm is flashing the 4 turn signals. And the alarm is connected to one connector under the seat. So you start probing. And you find out that the turn signals are pin 9 and 10. Permanent power is on 8, but I prefer contact power, on 14. Add a ground connection on 6 and this is all you need.

Probing thing, you notice quickly that a pair of diodes are needed between the two turn signals, without them they all stop working. So I picked up from my shelf an ESP32, a buck power supply, a relay board, and two diode, soldered it all on a protoboard, wrote a small program to support the builtin button, and I ended up with this:

konam, braaap! and Crashthings like this.
  2. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The next step is to find a button. My first idea was to read the CANBus and start the blinkers when the headlight is flashed 3 times for example. But then I was chatting online with kytu, in Spain, who was doing something similar for his bike. Turns out he found a right switch control from a 1290SA. It is the same as the 790, with the addition of two buttons: one for the emergency flasher, the other has a key logo on it (perfect to connect my garage door opener!):

774c99dc8428624ed4c7ec02f4eeb1f0.jpeg

There are three connectors on this thing, two identical to the one on the 790 (a 4 pin one for the start/kill switch and a 2 pin one for the backlight) and a third one, with 4 pins, for the two buttons.

This control is ridiculously expensive new (close to €200!), but I found a used one on ebay, made a low offer and it was accepted. I received it this morning, and tried it on my workbench:

This week-end, I will start the install on the bike. I need to make a box for the electronics, build waterproof connection, mount the control… To be continued.
  3. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like where you're going with this.
    With the KTM factory alarm when the key is on if you press the alarm button the four way flashers activate.
    I'm not sure if that's any use to you but I thought I would put it out there
  4. Crashthings

Crashthings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job. I like the start switch. I’d like to figure out how to adapt the 1290’s keyless start to the 890.

And yes, not have emergency flashers on the 890 is just stupid of KTM.
  5. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Funny, but riding with flashers on seems completely bonkers to me. Aux lights for visibility and turn signals to indicate a lane change.
    BHoward and 9.5isCanadian like this.
  6. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well, a typical commute look lile this (not my video, start at 1:15 or so)
    Whodatschrome and TrailTrauma like this.
  7. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. LikeTheAspirin

LikeTheAspirin ... please, after you.

Oddometer:
    I feel like there should be a beer can attached to either side with a hose.....

Sorry Art, I shouldn't egg Dan on. I have been hoping someone would figure out a way to add 4 ways. Eagerly awaiting the conclusion of this.
  9. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Actually looks quite similar to mine in Los Angeles, but our drivers are more distracted and a lot less courteous. BTW, was not meant to be a dig in any way, just a different philosophy.
  10. Tjf1967

Tjf1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does it work while the bike is moving?
  11. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes
  12. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a very simple and rudimentary way of installing 4 way flashers on my 950A. I ran a separate wire that connected into the hot side of the left front signal, then also connected over to the hot side on the right side turn signal. I used a small push button switch (i used a HDB switch) in the middle of that wire to break the contact. In order to get all four lights to flash, simply activate your turn signal switch (either to the left or right), and press the new button that was installed. The button will cause 12V power to go to all four turn signals. Open that switch back up again, and you will have normal turn signals again. It takes up very little space, and you can make the install as clean or as ugly as you'd like, but i recommend making it sanitary. But since i don't have a 790, i have no idea if it will work with its wiring systems.
    braaap! likes this.
  13. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will use this intel to create hazards on my 04 9X0! Thanks.
    Am guessing the canbus on the 790/890 might not play ball with such an analogue solution... Might be worth a test anyway :thumb
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  14. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried bridging left and right signal from the alarm connector, and it causes all turn signals to stop working. I'm afraid your solution will not work on a 790…
    Whodatschrome likes this.