4 Ways to be a better Dirt Bike rider

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by woodybepierced, Jan 16, 2020.

1. woodybepierced

woodybepierced Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. Notice I didn't say racer.
    2. Lots of time researching and making this, trying to make some different type of content.
    3. Pass along your thoughts!

ANKOF, Suncoaster and phreakingeek like this.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Here I always thought it was:
    1. ride
    2. ride
    3. ride
    4. ride some more
  3. woodybepierced

woodybepierced Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it were only that easy.
    bajaburro likes this.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Actually that's the way it was for me and pretty much everyone else in 1971. Started with a trials bike, within a year had a short tracker, four years a motocrosser running harescrambles. Learned to ride a three wheeler same way. My friend pointed to a wide open muddy field and turned me loose on the ATC90. I rode the trials bike pretty hard, but being a Bultaco, it took the beating pretty well... still have it.

There were no videos telling you how to ride, no riding schools either. It was go to an open field and trails then ride... ride... ride... and ride some more. I fell off, slid out, got stuck, flipped over, and all that stuff.
    eddie bolted, knight, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  5. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im sure the answer is something like ride ride ride and ride some more but I find much help from different youtube "lessons" to. (some are good, some are not) I think that join a dirtbike club, or find friends that share youre intresst, where you can evolve among friends and ride ride ride ride ride and read and watch everything that takes you forward is the best thing if you would like to evolve fast and dont get stuck in doing the wrong stuff.
    jjjjjjay likes this.
  6. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You don't learn by watching.You learn from doing.
  7. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 werdz

Trials Bike
  8. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watching and instruction can shorten the learning curve. It can also make learning safer.
    eddie bolted likes this.
  9. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I learned by doing. I'd ridden on the street some as a teenager and, when I returned from Vietnam in 1970, I figured that didn't kill me so lets start racing motorcycles. I bought a Yamaha enduro machine and rode it in the dirt each weekend it didn't rain. I got semi-competent and moved to a Yamaha MX and started competing in cross-country and motocross. After that, there was a series of Ossas, Bultacos and Pentons. I ended my competition years doing observed trials.

If you going to get a big adventure bike, I highly recommend a lot of dirt riding on smaller machines. When you transition over to adventure bikes, you'll have good skills. On those bigger bikes, don't be afraid to turn around if you see you could possibly run out of talent.:D Also, don't ride in very remote back country without a GPS location device.

Mike
    bomose likes this.
  10. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had many friends who rode and raced dirt and did trials. I didn't start until I was 38, but had ridden street and road raced. I went out with the guys and just emulated what they did. They would go slow enough for me to follow sometimes. They would pick me up and tell me what I was doing wrong. Good thing I was in exceptional shape because it was tiring. Eventually, I did some enduros. You need some friends to show you the ropes or find a training course. But the biggest thing is ride. Some things can't be taught in schools. You can't afford that many training courses. A lot is learned through trial and error.
    MotoChris521 and dirt hokie like this.
  11. portalespeanut

portalespeanut nEARLY nORMAL

Oddometer:
    Just turned 62...been riding since I was 12....that's 50 years, and I'm still learning. Here's a few thoughts...
    1. Ride with others who are better/more skilled than You. I improved the most when riding with (chasing) better riders.
    2. Ride more, ride better. The more we ride the more we improve.
    3. Try different disciplines. If you ride off-road, visit a track, or vise-versa. Trials riding is an amazing 'teacher'.
    4. Find joy in the ride. There have been times when I've been whooped and exhausted...and pause to just be thankful for the ride. Those rides make You better.
    bomose likes this.
  12. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    50 years of riding here also.
    1) When In Doubt, Gas It Now.
    2) As others say, ride, ride, ride.
    3) Sliding the rear, either with power or rear brake is a preferred way to turn or stop.
    4) Power slide wheelies ;)