1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

40' shipping container - how many bikes fit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stainlesscycle, Aug 14, 2014.

1. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i know it's kinda vague, but roughly how many full size motorcycles (no saddlebags) (all center standed or wheel chocked) will fit in a 40' shipping container for long term storage? i really don't need access to any of them - i just want them out of the way for a few years. i would assume around 20? i would arrange them i assume forward/reverse/forward etc. along the one long wall...

anyone using a shipping container for long term storage? i would guess temp sensor ventilation is one of the main things to add?
  2. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Build a 2nd floor in there...20bikes x2
    You might need to remove some windshields though
    :lol3
  3. digger2

digger2 A cad & a bounder

Oddometer:
    Think about removing the bars and shield. You can strap the bars across the top and get about four - five bikes across. Allow 6ft per bike in length so 30-35 plus bikes are do-able
  4. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    The riding school in Edmonton at the university grounds uses one for on site storage, might be 15 of their training bikes plus all the gear (pylons and classroom gear etc.) They have enough room to dig everything out and pack it all in quickly.
  5. ktrout01

ktrout01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shit, I'll make room in my garage for your bikes. Just leave the keys in them.
  6. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    To store bikes in a small area its best to remove the wheels i do this all the time its easy and they fit anywhere most i store are trials bikes i sit them on timber tressles. for bigger bikes its better to have pit stands you could make them cheap enough. They are not quite as eassy stolen like this as well.
    Moved large bike all over the country in a little van like this to trials far better than trailer or back frame.
    You would get 20 in a 40ft anyway i think.
  7. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    We used a 20 footer at work as a storage/hell box for years. Condensation and leaks got to be a real problem (rainy western Oregon) and during the summer that thing was like an oven. If I was to do this again, it would have a free-standing roof over it and plenty of roof ventilators; maybe even a supply fan to shove some fresh air in there.
  8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been shopping for one for some time now. That metal gets really hot in the sun. Found you can get old reefer containers. They have about 6" of insulation to muffle the thermal spikes. Used one when moving and it worked great. Another thing to look for is wind and weather tight. No hole, still seal up. If you just go for the cheapest thing you can find you will regret it. Spend just a little more and get something worth it.
  9. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I'd say 3 wide by 6 deep slightly staggered so the bars don't touch + 2 sideways at the ends for 20.

How many do you have to store?

I use one for storage at work, their big downfall for bike storage (if you are using the bikes) is getting the one out you want.
  10. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have many to store... but i only need some space here, if i could put 20 that i haven't touched in a few years away, that would be nice. sick of moving bikes around to get to other ones. i only really need to have 20 or so in the shop. i currently have about 70ish..

i definitely would have some ventilation in it - and probably put a shed roof on it just in case...
  11. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to have 3 containers full of bikes. In the back, build a 6' shelf above bike height, it's good for frames and carcasses etc. I had em full of vintage mopeds, about 150 of em, could easily get 50 in there.

Big bikes, I'd nose one, back one, nose one, etc...... Probably could get 25 in there. 6 rows of 4-5 I would think.
  12. MysteryRider

MysteryRider Laughing at danger

Oddometer:
    Biggest thing would be controlling the humidity inside.
    I have had offices (and lived) in those things and it can be done.:puke1
    But, make sure you have good ventilation.
  13. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    I have a 20' container at a relative's house. Best thing I ever did was put a roll up door on it and a few turbines on the roof for ventilation. It's in Riverside County where it can get very hot, but not really humid. Not sure how you can control the humidity without some sort of powered dehumidification system.

On my bike shed at home I put solar on the roof for the battery tenders. Perhaps this system may work for you to control the humidity
  14. Tourbus

Tourbus Lost but not worried

Oddometer:
    As a gauge I hauled 8 bikes ( standards/ Brits ) in a 16 foot Penske van and still had a little room at the rear. We also built a second story to carry house hold goods. So 8 more would fit above on 2x8 framing with 3/4 inch decking.
  15. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Trying to remember what my friend used to control moisture when he parked his live-in van for a year with all the furnishings inside. Some kind of absorbing crystals (salts???) hanging inside in a burlap bag and then a bucket under that to catch the drips???

I'll ask....I am sure he didn't pay for that, must have been "supplies" from the hotspring resort he was working at and where he left the van. I won't ask him, he is gone but I know the former maintenance guy at that resort, I may even see him today.:wink: