40kph past emergency vehicles

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Nerb, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only recently became aware of this (and cant find a thread on it), even though it has been in NSW for some time, ACT more recently, Vic since July 2017 and SA since 2014 (and soon to be in Qld). A reduced speed limit to 40kph (25 in SA) when approaching and passing vehicles with red, blue or magenta flashing lights.

The vic roads website spells it out... you have to slow down even if the emergency vehicle is in the service lane: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/saf...z-of-road-rules/police-and-emergency-vehicles

How aware are people of this rule? And what do you think of it?

I understand the concern, but why not have an advertising campaign for "you can be booked for dangerous driving if you dont slow down" rather than a blanket "40kph" for all cases.

Also, if the rule is fair enough, and is really because
    Then why does it not apply to yellow flashing lights? Or cars with their hazards on??? I would argue that a person changing a tire on the side of the highway are at a far greater risk than emergency services personnel.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  2. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    It was in off topic some months ago.
  3. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about every knob stopped to call their mum coz they’ve run outta steam? Good on ‘em for getting onto the side of the road and not calling & driving but do we really need to slow to 40 for them?
    All of these limits exist because the vast majority of road users are unable to adjust their behaviour and drive to conditions. Life and the enforcement of all its rules would be simpler with blanket 50km/h limits in town and 100 on main roads.
  4. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slowed down last week for an ambulance with flashing lights in the emergency lane, and had a delivery truck two feet off my rear bar, flashing lights and blowing horns.
    How long before a semi piles into the back of someone that slowed just a bit too quick.
    pops, bikeroz, Dukehunt and 2 others like this.
  5. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seriously though, it’s a new law to Vic and still poorly understood IMHO. We see a lot of people slowing to 40 while we’re approaching them on the other side of the road with bells ‘n whistles on.
    It’s also common for folks to stay in the RH lane blocking you until they reach their normal rh turning point.
    We’re pretty much an annoyance to most drivers...until it’s a steering column through their own guts and we didn’t get there quick enough.
    Bigem, Cruz, Roofchop and 2 others like this.
  6. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I support the idea personally. Emergency service people deserve to have a safe as possible working environment, as do we all, and having Australian levels of driving skills whizzing past you a metre away at 100kph is a recipe for an ugly death, so 40kph is fine with me.
    I live in a quiet country area but I am aware of this from the blanket advertising of it. You'd have to be living under a rock not to have seen the stuff, it has been everywhere with this introduction, but so-called "professional" drivers still feel an inalienable right to try and push you on at 100+kph when you're slowing down for these folks.
    The "professional" drivers are the worst of the lot.
    dirtsurfer, toecutta, stumps and 2 others like this.
  7. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Magenta? I don't even know what colour that is so won't be slowing down for it.
  8. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    I passed ambos, cops and firies today on the Gillies range. Nasty accident. I slowed to about 30....the goose in front just kept on going...
  9. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed the back window of a cop car had a 40 k sign plastered across it - it'd be great if they could make them flash , especially on the back of ambulances / ses rescue etc.
  10. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    $$$ ... might be better spent on AED? Or EM departments..
  11. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be perfectly happy if they bought tasers for people in ed departments to use on morons putting staff at risk....that'd be $ well spent...but a few $ to remind people to slow down around an emergency scene seems pretty reasonable to me?
  12. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Or in South Australia. You have to slow down to 25kph. Even in a 110 kph zone
    pops and GodSilla like this.
  13. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Crikey ...

Really need national laws, for consistency.
    Hay Ewe, GodSilla, Sl0rider and 3 others like this.
  14. therak

therak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our legislative spaghetti is bad for business, bad for the public, bad for everyone. Only people who benefit are those who think we still need the state government level at all
    stumps and Gone Troppo like this.
  15. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    And a large number of pollies.... $$$$$$$
    therak likes this.
  16. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was 40kmh here but it was then lowered to 25kmh

Be careful as i have seen another police vehicle further up the road with laser gun out making sure people do slow down.
    pops likes this.
  17. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    VicRoads vehicles have them. Mostly for truck safety checks. I guess if you mix blue & red you get... purple.
  18. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    This also applies if the vehicles are on the other side of the road I'm lead to believe.
    I pasted a cop on a 100kph sweeping downhill bend on a country road booking someone with a b Double up my arse . I looked at him and shrugged, no way was I slowing. Why didn't he move the offending vehicle and his car to a safer spot .
    Has to be some reponsibilty there.
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  19. a2zworks

a2zworks Así es la vida

Oddometer:
    Well I didn't know about this law until yesterday when I saw on Nerb1 YouTube, not sure if it applies here in Tas, I'll have to find out.
    I'm against any law that slows traffic down (except school zone times) a lot of people already drive at 10 or 20 km/h under.
    My pet hate is people that don't keep left and block dual carriage roads driving side by side, FFS either speed up or slow down and move left.
    I am not a professional driver, just one that likes driving/riding at the posted limit and when safe and when no one is watching a bit over :D
    Toejamii likes this.
  20. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Sshhh. This law has not made it south..... yet.

I did go past a police car with flashing lights near Ballarat a few weeks ago. An forgot to slow down.oh well
    a2zworks likes this.