450/525 forks on 990r

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Moto Vaquero, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Will the 48mm open chamber forks found on most ktm dirt bikes work on a 2011/2012 990r to increase the travel? Planning on a high fender and single disc brake anyways.
    Obviously will need heavier springs and revalve but any other mods necessary?
    Roni92 likes this.
  2. phycospecialties

phycospecialties Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently did just that to my 2012. Although I used SMC 450 forks that are 280mm of travel.

The outer tubes of the stock 990 forks are longer than the outer tubes on the sx mxc exc forks and so is the distance between the top and bottom tree. The 990 has a greater distance between trees than it's mx brother.

Most off-road forks are around 320mm so you will have to limit the travel of the forks to about 280mm or the tire will hit the lower tree/ fender. Stock 990 travel is between 210mm and 265mm

You will also need a new hub wheel and axel. The brake will swap over.

But the added Benifit is a lot more suspension travel without the height, bolt on fork gaurds no adapters necessary , lighter front wheel assembly, and a stronger 1.60 wheel.
    dooby and Roni92 like this.
  3. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Yah, I see the issue with the shorter upper tubes, the wider space between the T-clamps combined with more fork travel causing the tire to bottom on the fender. Even if you shorten the amount of travel, you would not gain the height needed to increase the shock travel.
    Do I have this right?
  4. phycospecialties

Oddometer:
    Yes you will gain more travel. You will gain more height. So you will have to stench the rear. I believe we added 15 mm to the shock stroke that roughly equates to 45mm more ride height and travel in the rear.

I'll take some measurements and pictures for you. In the garage I have a set of 265's a set of 210's and my 990 with 280mm smc 450 forks. It's the least I can do for sharing your 21 days trip and your tracks!:clap

Basically how my 990 is set up I have 15mm more travel in the front than S spec 265mm fork.

Yet my bike sits 40mm or 1.5 inches lower in the front than an S spec bike.

Best of both worlds for me
    dooby, Dusty and Roni92 like this.
  5. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Thanks Psycho.

Are the smc forks the same as the mxc/exc forks other than the mods/springs that shorten them? In other words, what does it take to get the 320mm forks to 280mm?

You must have started with the adv model, if you added 45mm to the R you would end up with a sky scraper
  6. phycospecialties

Oddometer:
    They are basically the same. Your suspension tuner can easily limit the travel for you. When you respring/revalve. The smc forks have a radial mount 4 piston caliper. This is nice but also opens up a can of worms with the front wheel. I would use the exc or equivalent forks if I were to do it again. It's pretty much bolt on after you dial in the forks. Other than making a speed sensor mount. You may also need to swap out the master cyl if you don't like the feel after switching to one brake.
    Dusty likes this.
  7. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    This sounds like the way to go. Got any pics of them mounted?
  8. Roni92

Roni92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cant believe this thread died?
    Thats exactly what I want to do and it makes the most sense imo... more travel, no much more seat height ; Imo so much better option than 'stretching' to S config
    dooby likes this.
  9. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe cause you CAN'T add more travel without raising seat height.

Just hope treadstarter did not end up with something that got the front tire jammed stuck in the lower triple clamp after a jump?

/Johan
    gearheadE30 and Whodatschrome like this.
  10. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how relevant this is but when I went the single disc route I didn't want to have just a disc and a caliper off,( asthetics) so I fitted exc feet to my existing 230mm legs, I had a local engineering company make me an axle to suit and machine down spacers to suit, when I took the forks down to the suspension guy and told him what I planned he 1st of all said yes it's simple enough to swap the feet over as they are all 48mm forks but more relevant for you guys that if I had a pair of the exc forks that he could just swap over internals and have it the height of them,( I stuck to 230mm as I'm a short arse) the Speedo pick up is actually pretty simple to do if you have the feet off already.
    dooby likes this.
  11. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The master from a 690 enduro or 950 enduro obviously work but the 2003 BMW 650 gs is perfect for. The job. The break light switch is even the same.
    mountaincadre likes this.
  12. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Do you have any files or drawings of the spacers and axle?
    dooby and mountaincadre like this.
  13. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have files locuL but I can go to workshop tomorrow and take photos and get sizes for you if that would do.
  14. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Short arse or not, I would paypal a good sized beer for that endeavour.

To clarify you run KTM 950 Adv forks with EXC lugs/feets?

My plan is to go with the WP 48mm cone valve forks. It would be nice if the KTM 950 Adv lugs/feets would fit the WP 48mm CV forks. Then i wouldn´t have to do anything...ish I could keep my axle etc.

best regards from Denmark
  15. Tobey

Tobey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not true, in the case of the EXC suspesion they run a shorter outer tube, 577mm whereas the ADV run a 610mm outter tube, there is 33mm right there as long as you change the internal hydro stop to allow the piston rod to travel further.

The main issue with fitting EXC suspension as will be the issue faced with fitting conve valves, the clamp position for the lower tripple clamp needs to be lower on the ADV because of the longer headstem, steering axle - hence 610mm.

There is no issue with changing over the feet, but you will still run into the clamp being too far up the outer tub. Otherwise all internals are the same, just different lengths and the valving is different.

If I were going the cone valve route, I would just be leaving the exc feet, running EXC axle, 320mm rotor and exc caliper, then just use custom or exc spacers and run a single brake. Spacers are the cheap part. Changing axle clamps is a PITA.

I currently run EXC chambers, piston rods (with adv valving for now), hydrop stop with custom spacers to limit travel and adv springs. This brings me to 240mm travel.
  16. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why all the trouble of suspension with shorter outer tube and triple clamps not really lining up and ending up with 240?

EDIT: and on full compression? Will wheel hit anything?
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  17. Tobey

Tobey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you missed my point. I never changed the outer tubes so remain at 240. The outter tubes for an EXC wont work on an ADV as far as I can see.

I don't know if the wheel will hit anything as it's not something that will work anyway.
    dooby and DirtyADV like this.